Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

rjones28 05-06-20 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21458536)
You're never going to earn big endorsement money with that attitude.

IKR. Lubes I currently have on hand (just off the top of my head):

- Tri-Flow
- Chain-L
- Finish Line One-Step
- Park Tool Polylube
- Catrol 5w30
- Smith's honing oil
- White lithium grease
- Whatever the grease is that I put in the grease gun.

WhyFi 05-06-20 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458457)
I need a good dry lube- I’ve been using finish line but don’t love it. Any recommendations? Seems like there’s no general review consensus in the interwebs.

Molten Speed Wax.

:innocent:

phrantic09 05-06-20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458568)
Molten Speed Wax.

:innocent:

I’m sure it’s great- but I’m also sure my wife would kill me for making a mess of melted wax.

Trsnrtr 05-06-20 07:35 AM

Pro tip: don’t replace your eTap controller battery right before a ride. Frustration and cursing may ensue as you head off to YouTube to find directions to pair your derailleurs again. :foo:

phrantic09 05-06-20 07:38 AM

In other fun news.. my Vector 3 pedals arrive today, now I have to go ride during a “late lunch”

abshipp 05-06-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21458594)
Pro tip: don’t replace your eTap controller battery right before a ride. Frustration and cursing may ensue as you head off to YouTube to find directions to pair your derailleurs again. :foo:

Do you have to do that every time you change the battery or was this just a fluke?

WhyFi 05-06-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458593)
I’m sure it’s great- but I’m also sure my wife would kill me for making a mess of melted wax.

Well then don't make a mess of it - geez.

This reminds me that I should fire up the ol' crockpot today and re-dip Chain A - will prolly want to swap chains in the next week or so.

WhyFi 05-06-20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21458594)

#firstworldproblems :p

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21458526)
That depends.

You use adult diapers on your chain? :foo:

WhyFi 05-06-20 07:49 AM

I'm in the frustrating position of constantly forgetting that I'm bored as hell with my usual routes... until it's actually time to ride. Then I stare at a map for 20 minutes, trying to iron out something new, before I eventually give up and head out on one of those same, tired routes.

indyfabz 05-06-20 07:55 AM

Next time you think you have a bear f a job plowing your driveway consider what the crews at Glacier N.P. have to deal with.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c15178a491.jpg

mvnsnd 05-06-20 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458599)
In other fun news.. my Vector 3 pedals arrive today, now I have to go ride during a “late lunch”

Please post your impressions.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 21458653)
Please post your impressions.

FWIW, AG has a pair on her SystemSix and likes them. I prefer my Quarqs, but she wanted to keep the Spiderring.

phrantic09 05-06-20 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21458656)
FWIW, AG has a pair on her SystemSix and likes them. I prefer my Quarqs, but she wanted to keep the Spiderring.

One of the biggest reasons I went this route was for portability between bikes if need be. Also- never ridden with real power so I wouldn’t be able to tell the differences.

abshipp 05-06-20 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458627)
I'm in the frustrating position of constantly forgetting that I'm bored as hell with my usual routes... until it's actually time to ride. Then I stare at a map for 20 minutes, trying to iron out something new, before I eventually give up and head out on one of those same, tired routes.

Ditto.

ls01 05-06-20 08:42 AM

Well that was one short summer... I heard the word snow mentioned for Saturday :crash: :twitchy:.

Wut

phrantic09 05-06-20 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21458703)
Ditto.

same

phrantic09 05-06-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21458726)
Well that was one short summer... I heard the word snow mentioned for Saturday :crash: :twitchy:.

Wut

same here for Friday night

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458699)
One of the biggest reasons I went this route was for portability between bikes if need be. Also- never ridden with real power so I wouldn’t be able to tell the differences.

After going through the pain of swapping her P1s between bikes until I nearly screwed up the threads, I’m not a fan of swapping pedals over and over. DCR had the same comment eventually. At least not every week. PMs have gotten affordable enough I’d rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

My advice on the Vectors is to get a supply of the batteries ahead of time.

mvnsnd 05-06-20 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21458738)
After going through the pain of swapping her P1s between bikes until I nearly screwed up the threads, I’m not a fan of swapping pedals over and over. DCR had the same comment eventually. At least not every week. PMs have gotten affordable enough I’d rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

My advice on the Vectors is to get a supply of the batteries ahead of time.

I agree with all of that too. I'm considering other options than my current Powertap, but I don't like the bulky pedal options or some of the crank arm only options. A spider based solution is still in consideration.

Trsnrtr 05-06-20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21458603)
Do you have to do that every time you change the battery or was this just a fluke?

I don’t know. Probably. This controller battery was two years old and still showing green when I shifted but I thought I’d change it anyway. The derailleur batteries get charged every 30-40 hours and don’t need to be paired when changing.

datlas 05-06-20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458599)

:bday:

datlas 05-06-20 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458820)
:bday:

Speaking of which, my folks sent me a hundred bucks for my birthday and I saw Excel has Assos Not Bibs shorts on sale for $68 each, so I snagged 2 of them with my birthday loot.

datlas 05-06-20 09:36 AM

Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I don’t think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.

TassR700 05-06-20 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458835)
Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I don’t think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.

I just bought some Boyd Altamonts to replace some worn out Soul alloy wheels and I am really pleased with them after a few hundred miles. Alloy, not the lightest but roll great and very stable. I also recently moved to Greenville so buying at the factory was a bonus.