Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:25 PM

A question for the runners: at what pace does "running" become walking? Wondering because an old high school acquaintance logs "runs" just about every day on Strava. I finally saw him "running" when I was out on a bike ride and it struck me as an old guy shuffle-step more than anything. I think that he's typically in the 10:30-12 minute mile pace.

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21480341)
Oh, there's a high bar. :roflmao2:

I thought you'd like that. ;)

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 12:26 PM

So here's the famous shower:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad505c35be.jpg

That doesn't even really do it justice.

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480358)

Nice shower. It's famous? Is this in the new house?

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480352)
A question for the runners: at what pace does "running" become walking? Wondering because an old high school acquaintance logs "runs" just about every day on Strava. I finally saw him "running" when I was out on a bike ride and it struck me as an old guy shuffle-step more than anything. I think that he's typically in the 10:30-12 minute mile pace.

There are multiple answers.

Technically, running requires airborne time during the stride; that's why race-walking (vomit) is a thing. Competitive race-walkers (vomit) move faster than a lot of runners who do leave the ground.

Separately, there's a matter of intent. There's a 70-something-year-old man here who races sprint tris and while his "runs" aren't exactly fast, but he's leaning forward and pumping his arms and moving as fast as he can. That puts him on a different level, to me, from people who overcooked the bike and are doing the Ironman Shuffle with 25 miles to go.

I wouldn't say there's a distinct pace where it changes.

datlas 05-17-20 12:33 PM

I am guessing they bought the house for the shower.

berner 05-17-20 12:36 PM

I've had the best of both worlds, or so I like to think. Born in Brooklyn but grew up 70 miles north in the Hudson Valley in an agricultural community. As a young man I commuted into the city by train after crossing the river on a ferry. In those days the river would freeze solid if not kept open by the Coast Guard. I had friends who would ice boat in some shallower areas while ships made their way up the middle. After Interstate 84 was built, the ferry stopped running but it had been recently been reinstated.

seedsbelize 05-17-20 12:46 PM

How frequently will the two of you be in there at the same time?

datlas 05-17-20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21480399)

Family forum!!

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:55 PM

I've been married long enough that my wife doesn't even go for the "let's conserve some water" excuse anymore.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480365)
Nice shower. It's famous? Is this in the new house?

That was literally the reason we jumped on the house. Still a few weeks until we actually move, likely, since we have this rental through August and it's not like we have other stuff to schedule. And there are things that have to be done like getting the water heater replaced, getting a fridge in, carpets cleaned, etc. We're finally going to get that extra fridge, too, in paranoia about another round of foot shortages come fall.

Oh and I'm going to go full trainer geek and put the old S1 in tri config on an MP1. No more bike swapping. I can get it through the shop with my team discount, and if I'm going to be on it for like eight hours a week...

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480371)
Technically, running requires airborne time during the stride; that's why race-walking (vomit) is a thing. Competitive race-walkers (vomit) move faster than a lot of runners who do leave the ground.

I'm not really certain that he qualifies from a technical standpoint.

Side note: that was a great episode of Malcolm in the Middle.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21480372)
I am guessing they bought the house for the shower.

Ding ding ding!

Literally the deciding factor was that it would cost us five figures to get a bathroom done the way we'd like in a normal house, and this one was priced like the others.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 01:01 PM

Funny story: the inability for both of us to get into a shower causes friction. We obviously get back from rides at the same time, and often want to shower at the same time in the morning before work. The old house and her condo had big enough showers for that (though not to this scale); the apartment we rented between those and the house we're in now don't, and the shower lag is a killer.

So probably 10x/week. Ish.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480424)
I'm not really certain that he qualifies from a technical standpoint.

Side note: that was a great episode of Malcolm in the Middle.

Yes. But as mentioned we've been watching the IAAF track championship from Doha last year (just finished last night, actually, roughly 40 hours of coverage) and they had racewalking overnight a few nights. It honestly seems like some of the Ironman completitors would be better served focusing on that as a strategy than pretending they're going to run.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480352)

My fast walking, in my current joint condition, is about 13:45/mile.

Someone pointed out that hiking counts more than walking, because at least then it shows up on the "training log."

I have qualms about calling a walk on pavement a "hike," though. This is a Stava ethical dilemma.

WhyFi 05-17-20 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21480449)

Pffft - and you question the walking exploits of NYC residents.

This is a Stava ethical dilemma.

Ooof. Tough one.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480371)

Race-walking counts too!

From what I recall (I've not run in years) fast walking is more tiring than slow jogging. I would definitely do the later if my knees cooperated.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 01:21 PM

Someone pointed out that hiking counts more than walking, because at least then it shows up on the "training log."

I have qualms about calling a walk on pavement a "hike," though. This is a Stava ethical dilemma.

I'll Strava it if it is swim/ bike/ run for the purpose of training. If it's mowing the lawn or grocery shopping or walking all day on vacation, no Strava. If you're going as fast as you can for the purpose of going as fast as you can... I'd do it.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21480465)
Race-walking counts too!

From what I recall (I've not run in years) fast walking is more tiring than slow jogging. I would definitely do the later if my knees cooperated.

I don't think it needs to be part of the track and field world championships.

LAJ 05-17-20 01:54 PM

Way Hot. Very nice.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 01:54 PM

Oh and ordered up some 28c GP5K TLs. Will throw those on this week and give them a try this weekend.

WhyFi 05-17-20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480534)
Oh and ordered up some 28c GP5K TLs. Will throw those on this week and give them a try this weekend.

I'll be curious to hear about how easily they mount - one of the guys that I ride with has HED wheels and he swore that the 28mm 5Ks weren't even close to getting over his rims. I think that it was user error. I would have taken them off his hands, but he bought them at the time when they were still $60+ each and that's what he wanted for them. Pffft.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480552)
I'll be curious to hear about how easily they mount - one of the guys that I ride with has HED wheels and he swore that the 28mm 5Ks weren't even close to getting over his rims. I think that it was user error. I would have taken them off his hands, but he bought them at the time when they were still $60+ each and that's what he wanted for them. Pffft.

Were those the TLs? I got the 23 and 25s non-TLs on just fine; would be easier without a tube to pinch. But yes, do it wrong and you'll break your thumbs and still not have tires on.

WhyFi 05-17-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480561)
Were those the TLs? I got the 23 and 25s non-TLs on just fine; would be easier without a tube to pinch. But yes, do it wrong and you'll break your thumbs and still not have tires on.

Yeah, I wouldn't have considered the non-TLs at any price.

He ended up getting the tubed variety and said that they went on easy. I still think it was (mostly) user error.