Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Trsnrtr 10-26-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22284087)
He has a certain amiability about him. Even if I'll never buy something like a $3,000 grinder, it's still fun and interesting to watch him go over it. But yeah, his more practical videos are good, too. After frothing milk for a dozen years, I still improved after watching his video on the process.

He taught me a lot about a MoKa pot. You buy one and nobody really tells you how to use it. It turns out that there is a lot of “technique“ to it and you can make excellent coffee with it.

bampilot06 10-26-21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22284421)
The light shutting off on its own is really weird - I wouldn't think that it would do that just because the connection was lost... I would think that it would stay on until an "Off" command was sent. :foo: I'd ask the LBS.

Two sets of lights is going to make the ANT+ light controls more trouble than it's worth, I think - you'd have to go in to your head unit to turn one off and turn the other on, and that's in addition to physically swapping them out. At that point, I'd just control them manually. Unless they're much smarter than I assume... I mean, it'd be cool to have light priority that automatically lights up the next in line when one dies, but I would be pleasantly surprised if the protocols were that fleshed-out.

It just disconnects. Battery life is charged it makes no sense.

Kind of reminds me of the embraer 145. The plane would beep at us for everything but what we needed it too. The garmin beeps for all kinds of things but when my headlight shuts off nothing.

I wish it would fail on that seems like a safer situation then failing and turning off.

Tail light is not affected by this.

As far as the two lights go, I wasn’t really referencing ANT+. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to charge my lights everyday. I don’t know if the ANT+ connection causes my batteries to drain faster or not.

bampilot06 10-26-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22284429)
(Sigh) 20 minutes ago I got a message from the Derailleur seller. He ran out of Derailleurs . So, now II have a 3 to 5 day wait for a refund. And I paid $5.00 more from another vendor. Bastiges...

You need to do a deep cleanse or something.

Your kharma is not centered.

datlas 10-26-21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22284547)
Third Moderna shot is in. Have to go to work tomorrow.

Not that it will be the same for me, but let me know your experience in 24 hours? I will get mine on Saturday. I hope to ride Sunday but if my 3rd is like my 2nd, I will not ride the day after.

WhyFi 10-26-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284557)
It just disconnects. Battery life is charged it makes no sense.

Kind of reminds me of the embraer 145. The plane would beep at us for everything but what we needed it too. The garmin beeps for all kinds of things but when my headlight shuts off nothing.

I wish it would fail on that seems like a safer situation then failing and turning off.

Tail light is not affected by this.

As far as the two lights go, I wasn’t really referencing ANT+. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to charge my lights everyday. I don’t know if the ANT+ connection causes my batteries to drain faster or not.

Yeah, I'd definitely talk to the LBS about the headlight.

ANT+ is such a low power draw that it wouldn't meaningfully affect battery life. But still, with more than one light, it would be a pain in the butt to swap them out while using ANT+ control, IMO.

DougRNS 10-26-21 02:22 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...966fd65859.jpg
To do list items are getting done. Hardest part is done (cut grass) and the only one I'm dreading is the ironing. I hate ironing.

MoAlpha 10-26-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22284595)
Not that it will be the same for me, but let me know your experience in 24 hours? I will get mine on Saturday. I hope to ride Sunday but if my 3rd is like my 2nd, I will not ride the day after.

Yeah, half the dose, but twice the prime. I'm ready for heavy weather.

genejockey 10-26-21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22284598)
Yeah, I'd definitely talk to the LBS about the headlight.

ANT+ is such a low power draw that it wouldn't meaningfully affect battery life. But still, with more than one light, it would be a pain in the butt to swap them out while using ANT+ control, IMO.

I think we're reaching the point where the convenience of connectedness is running aground on the shoals of connectivity failures. One of us can't shift his front derailleur because a software update buggered it. Another's lights semi-randomly shut off without warning. Perhaps we need to return to the simpler times of a couple years ago?

WhyFi 10-26-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22284618)
I think we're reaching the point where the convenience of connectedness is running aground on the shoals of connectivity failures. One of us can't shift his front derailleur because a software update buggered it. Another's lights semi-randomly shut off without warning. Perhaps we need to return to the simpler times of a couple years ago?

Eh.. ANT+ lights are great when they work; this is the first oddness that I've heard of and he can always turn off his network and manually control it, like any other light on the market.

The FD getting bricked sucks any way you slice it, but I don't think that wireless is going away any time soon.

LAJ 10-26-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22284618)

No.

LAJ 10-26-21 02:44 PM

I lose connectivity when I fast forward Roku. That means whilst on the trainer, I have to watch commercials. Life sucks.

(not)

genejockey 10-26-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22284636)
No.

What would I know about it anyway? My most recent purchase was a 6 speed freewheel for my new 36 year old bike! And my most recent technology failure, if you can call it that, is that I'm no longer able to use my handy USB-rechargeable front light, because the strap broke and I can't find a replacement!

genejockey 10-26-21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22284638)
I lose connectivity when I fast forward Roku. That means whilst on the trainer, I have to watch commercials. Life sucks.

(not)

Am I crazy, or when old TV shows are available for streaming, with commercials, do they put fewer commercials in the first couple episodes to hook you, and then add more and more as you progress? I was re-watching "Leverage" the other night. First two episodes, none of the commercial breaks were longer than a minute. By the third episode, they were up to 2 minutes or more.

big john 10-26-21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22284339)
They even got plenty of rain on the east side of the Sierras. My friend is trying to decide if she wants to fix the low spot in the driveway of her new place, since it'll probably be 10 years 'til it rains this much there again...

I lived in a guest house at the end of a long dirt driveway. I lived there for 9 years and one time the low spot flooded from unusually hard rain. I tried to drive my truck in and it sank to the bumper. Fortunately I had a friend in the towing biz and he plucked it out of there for free.
Later I filled the low spot with dirt and I was surprised how much dirt it took. Like 4 pick up loads. Never got stuck again, though.

genejockey 10-26-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22284678)
I lived in a guest house at the end of a long dirt driveway. I lived there for 9 years and one time the low spot flooded from unusually hard rain. I tried to drive my truck in and it sank to the bumper. Fortunately I had a friend in the towing biz and he plucked it out of there for free.
Later I filled the low spot with dirt and I was surprised how much dirt it took. Like 4 pick up loads. Never got stuck again, though.

Sounds more like a sink hole than a low spot!

DougRNS 10-26-21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22284668)
Am I crazy, or when old TV shows are available for streaming, with commercials, do they put fewer commercials in the first couple episodes to hook you, and then add more and more as you progress? I was re-watching "Leverage" the other night. First two episodes, none of the commercial breaks were longer than a minute. By the third episode, they were up to 2 minutes or more.

I never heard of the show. How "Old" is it?
#DontWatchEpisodicTV

big john 10-26-21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22284685)
Sounds more like a sink hole than a low spot!

Right? As soon as my wheels left the pavement the truck just dropped. Never had a problem with mud there before.

genejockey 10-26-21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22284725)
I never heard of the show. How "Old" is it?
#DontWatchEpisodicTV

I was gonna say "pretty recent", but I realize now that it went off the air 11 years ago. I'm watching it through Amazon Prime, but I think it's on one of the channels that's available through prime.

genejockey 10-26-21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22284727)
Right? As soon as my wheels left the pavement the truck just dropped. Never had a problem with mud there before.

Perhaps you discovered a portal to another dimension, and someone there is wondering where all that dirt came from?

LesterOfPuppets 10-26-21 04:10 PM

Perfect day in Peoria:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09e78d6b98.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 10-26-21 04:11 PM

Shoulda brought my camera. Phone always wants to focus on the net.

big john 10-26-21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22284739)
Perhaps you discovered a portal to another dimension, and someone there is wondering where all that dirt came from?

Twilight Zone? They can keep the dirt.

LesterOfPuppets 10-26-21 04:13 PM

The away locker room must suck. A Blue Jay was on the ****ter in a public restroom while I was taking a wizz during the 7th inning stretch.

genejockey 10-26-21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22284751)
Twilight Zone? They can keep the dirt.

"A dimension not of sight and sound but of mind mud."

datlas 10-26-21 04:15 PM

You can say bat**** and you can say ****ter but you can’t say ****?

Hmm…