Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Mojo31 10-05-21 10:53 AM

My MIL was bitten by a bat about 10-15 years ago. She's now bat**** crazy. Not sure if there is a correlation.

sbxx1985 10-05-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22258041)
Just joking, I know, you're smarter than to stereotype bats like that. But most people don't realize how beneficial bats are to our everyday lives, they devour tons of insects each evening. We'd be overrun with insects if not for them, in fact I can accurately tell when my bathhouse is occupied and when it's not by the number of daytime insects flying around pestering me in my yard.

It's a good thing they don't fly during the day, all of nature's pollinators would be in trouble.

Billy with the bat lesson.

BillyD 10-05-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22257951)
It's been a banner year for apples and berries and our neighborhood is full of fruit trees. Lewis loves it and is a nutcase when he gets all sugared up on apples. We had him lean and at his fighting weight and now he eats apples all day. When he eats a lot of fermented ones, he gets all wiggity.

It's a banner year for my pear tree, too. Alas, also for my neighbor's black walnut tree which is pummeling the hell out of my yard.

sbxx1985 10-05-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22258053)
My MIL was bitten by a bat about 10-15 years ago. She's now bat**** crazy. Not sure if there is a correlation.

Another bat stereotype.

LesterOfPuppets 10-05-21 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22258029)
Play video above and go to 6:36. Pretty sure that's what he is saying but maybe the context is different? Listen and let me know. Pretty sure he is wrong but I am willing to admit when I am the one who is wrong.

Heck, I am a married man so I am quite good at that!

I think he means don't exceed the max.

BillyD 10-05-21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22257994)
Did you see the new Aero Orca, with the aero toolbox on the downtube, behind the front wheel? Time to cancel the Madone. :innocent:

:p

You're hooked. Seek help.

Mojo31 10-05-21 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22258058)
Another bat stereotype.

What, that my MIL is batty or that she got bit. Both are true. ;)

BillyD 10-05-21 11:00 AM

I think there's a pre-existing gene for that in MIL's.

Mine was no exception, that's how I'm on my second wife. :(

sbxx1985 10-05-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22258057)
It's a banner year for my pear tree, too. Alas, also for my neighbor's black walnut tree which is pummeling the hell out of my yard.

We have a couple black walnut trees around the office. When you run them over in the parking lot, it's a mini explosion. And the squirrels fight in the trees above and they fall on the roof.

Mojo31 10-05-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22258073)

We all married that gene as well, so life will probably get interesting as we age.

sshakari 10-05-21 11:13 AM

I had a bat in my bedroom 5 or so years ago. Had to kill it and flush him down the toilet. My wife is now bat**** crazy also.

seedsbelize2 10-05-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22257702)
wut

You weren't joking. This kind of cheating is what we're up against, East Coasters!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7430eba656.png

I can be your handicap. I simply don't have time to ride at the moment. Being retired is sometimes not all it's cracked up to be.

seedsbelize2 10-05-21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22257902)
Waxed the Ironman's frame and fork last night and started the build. Annoyingly, the BB has LOOSE ball bearings, so I had to count them into two dishes, then fill the cups with grease and use tweezers to place them. Not too bad with the adjustable cup, but reaching through the BB shell to place the ones in the fixed cup was a pain. All that time spent working on watches turns out really useful - I can not only pick up ball bearings with greasy tweezers, but also pick them up holding the tweezers in my LEFT hand, AND I can pick them up with my right hand and switch the tweezers to my left hand to place them. I'm very impressed with my own dexterity.

I spent a bit of time trying to get the adjustment of the BB correct. I thought I'd got it right, but then when I put the cranks on I could feel play. So I took the NDS crank back off, and adjusted. A couple times, I'd gotten rid of all the play without it getting 'crunchy', but then when I tightened the lockring it had play. I THINK I've got it right now.

So then I greased the headset cups and put that and the fork together, and ran into a problem - the bike came with one of those reflectors that fit into the headset like a spacer. I don't want that, so I took it off. And the lock nut bottoms out before it reaches the adjusting nut. Now I have to find a 1" x 2mm spacer. You'd think that would be easy - BITD, they must have been a dime a dozen. Not anymore. Now you have to buy a kit for $15-40, with spacers from 2mm to 1cm. Also, everyone's headset is now 1 1/8", so 1" are hard to find. So, I just installed the brakes and derailleurs and called it a night.

Oh, and I still haven't found my chain tool.

Why not cut the reflector part off with a hacksaw, then go in with a file to clean it up?

bampilot06 10-05-21 11:32 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d3af65653.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...56fe87931.jpeg

Riding around the Airline Campus

Trsnrtr 10-05-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22257937)
That sounds terrible.

I know. Can't stand Steely Dan, either.

WhyFi 10-05-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22258137)
Riding around the Airline Campus

Whoa - slow down there, Sport!

Eric F 10-05-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22258073)

IMO, it's a crapshoot. Both of my MILs have been awesome. I miss them both.

Mojo31 10-05-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22258160)
IMO, it's a crapshoot. Both of my MILs have been awesome. I miss them both.

Mine was good until she got older and developed Alzheimer's. Now, she's a handful for my wife, but there are some good and interesting times. Probably the most interesting thing about her current life is that Tiger Woods is assigned to her table for lunch, but she doesn't find him very talkative.

In reality, it's sad that people become afflicted with such diseases.

datlas 10-05-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22258140)

That guitar solo on "Josie" is really something, you gotta admit.

BillyD 10-05-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22258128)
Why not cut the reflector part off with a dremel, then go in with a dremel to clean it up?

Fixed.

phrantic09 10-05-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22258140)

quality

LesterOfPuppets 10-05-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22258137)

What's that slot in the stepthru area of the frame for? Cuban sandwich?

datlas 10-05-21 12:18 PM

You broke the censor.

Super Kudos!

:bday:

rjones28 10-05-21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22257902)
Waxed the Ironman's frame and fork last night and started the build. Annoyingly, the BB has LOOSE ball bearings, so I had to count them into two dishes, then fill the cups with grease and use tweezers to place them. Not too bad with the adjustable cup, but reaching through the BB shell to place the ones in the fixed cup was a pain. All that time spent working on watches turns out really useful - I can not only pick up ball bearings with greasy tweezers, but also pick them up holding the tweezers in my LEFT hand, AND I can pick them up with my right hand and switch the tweezers to my left hand to place them. I'm very impressed with my own dexterity.

I spent a bit of time trying to get the adjustment of the BB correct. I thought I'd got it right, but then when I put the cranks on I could feel play. So I took the NDS crank back off, and adjusted. A couple times, I'd gotten rid of all the play without it getting 'crunchy', but then when I tightened the lockring it had play. I THINK I've got it right now.

So then I greased the headset cups and put that and the fork together, and ran into a problem - the bike came with one of those reflectors that fit into the headset like a spacer. I don't want that, so I took it off. And the lock nut bottoms out before it reaches the adjusting nut. Now I have to find a 1" x 2mm spacer. You'd think that would be easy - BITD, they must have been a dime a dozen. Not anymore. Now you have to buy a kit for $15-40, with spacers from 2mm to 1cm. Also, everyone's headset is now 1 1/8", so 1" are hard to find. So, I just installed the brakes and derailleurs and called it a night.

Oh, and I still haven't found my chain tool.

Epic

rjones28 10-05-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22257951)
It's been a banner year for apples and berries and our neighborhood is full of fruit trees. Lewis loves it and is a nutcase when he gets all sugared up on apples. We had him lean and at his fighting weight and now he eats apples all day. When he eats a lot of fermented ones, he gets all wiggity.

Benson doesn't care about the apples.