Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Eric F 10-13-21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268666)
I started my Zwift trial today, since the weather was looking sketch. Meh. It was alright. Don't know WTF I'm doing, though.

Am I seeing this right, though - in terms of graphics, there's only a screen resolution setting? If so, that wack, 'cause the visuals are weak.

There is a learning curve, but not a long one. Lots of good info on www.zwiftinsider.com if you're motivated to dig into more about the Zwift world, options, etc.

Eric F 10-13-21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268704)
That's the thing - there's only a setting for resolution, but nothing for any of the typical eye candy settings that you would see on any modern game. As such, it's set at my monitor's resolution, which is 1080p.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I suspect if you're using modern game graphics as your benchmark, you might end up on the disappointed side. For me, it's enough of a simulation to keep me interested much more than staring at the inside of my garage door or the timer on my phone.

WhyFi 10-13-21 12:27 PM

Hmmm. According to Zwift Insider (from last year) -

Selecting the higher options and hoping to maintain 60fps+ will obviously require a stronger graphics card, but it won’t increase what you see – that’s based on the automatically-set profile set by HQ.
That's pretty bunk.

The article also indicates that AMD GPUs don't do as well as NIDIA because of driver issues, but it shouldn't be anywhere near this hamstrung.

WhyFi 10-13-21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22268709)
I'm not much of a gamer, but I suspect if you're using modern game graphics as your benchmark, you might end up on the disappointed side. For me, it's enough of a simulation to keep me interested much more than staring at the inside of my garage door or the timer on my phone.

I mean, frankly, I don't expect graphics on par with a AAA game, but I'd hope for better than the polygons that I'm seeing.

genejockey 10-13-21 12:30 PM

Even Ultra graphics aren't all that amazing. You get better frame rate and resolution, but still 2015 standard.

Eric F 10-13-21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268713)
I mean, frankly, I don't expect graphics on par with a AAA game, but I'd hope for better than the polygons that I'm seeing.

I guess we have different standards. I'm okay with it. A screenshot from my ride Monday...
https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x1152.jpg

EDIT: Hmmm...That's weird. 3.2w/kg for me should be just under 270w. I haven't noticed a difference or delay between current watts and w/kg before.

seedsbelize2 10-13-21 12:33 PM

Hot!

And a well stocked lbs.

genejockey 10-13-21 12:34 PM

This is how people end up with specializes Zwift rigs - they start out with "I just want the distraction" and then they are dissatisfied with the basic graphics....

Me, I'm still waiting on The Younger Boy replacing HIS rig so I can get his old one.

seedsbelize2 10-13-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22268571)
I need to start booking those. I'm worried I'd go to a "special" massage parlour by accident. How embarrassing would that be?!!!

She comes over. The wife on Tuesday; me on Wednesday. I understand your dilemma.

genejockey 10-13-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22268720)
Hot!

And a well stocked lbs.

I gotta say, though, that black bikes photograph poorly. It's like watches with black dials - totally amazing in person, but pictures never do them justice.

genejockey 10-13-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22268723)
She comes over. The wife on Tuesday; me on Wednesday. I understand your dilemma.

Years ago, I went to an AMAZING massage therapist. Too expensive to keep going to her, though, in the absence of any particular malady.

seedsbelize2 10-13-21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268666)
I started my Zwift trial today, since the weather was looking sketch. Meh. It was alright. Don't know WTF I'm doing, though.

Am I seeing this right, though - in terms of graphics, there's only a screen resolution setting? If so, that wack, 'cause the visuals are weak.

And, coincidentally, the humidity has finally gone away. All day riding season is upon us. :bday:

seedsbelize2 10-13-21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268713)

Good thing it's a free trial. I agree, that would be tough to live with.

WhyFi 10-13-21 01:12 PM

Hmmm. I fired up Zwift on the "Just Watch" setting and I'm getting shadows, better textures and whatnot. Peeking at my CPU and GPU utilization shows no strain - single CPU threads peak below 50% and GPU is peaking even lower. Weird. Oh well, at least I'm up to Sims-level graphics. :lol:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ed945d30d.jpg

genejockey 10-13-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268770)
Hmmm. I fired up Zwift on the "Just Watch" setting and I'm getting shadows, better textures and whatnot. Peeking at my CPU and GPU utilization shows no strain - single CPU threads peak below 50% and GPU is peaking even lower. Weird. Oh well, at least I'm up to Sims-level graphics. :lol:

Huh. Try it again as a rider.

Mojo31 10-13-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22268571)
I need to start booking those. I'm worried I'd go to a "special" massage parlour by accident. How embarrassing would that be?!!!

It's not unless you get caught.

WhyFi 10-13-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22268773)
Huh. Try it again as a rider.

Gonna make me plug in my trainer and fire up the Companion App and whatnot? Hurrumph.

Detail looks about the same, but no shadows. Is it because it's night?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0b4be7b445.jpg

WhyFi 10-13-21 01:22 PM

Just peeked in on Watopia - even though it's night there, too, I'm getting shadows. Odd.

genejockey 10-13-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268770)

BTW, I believe this is the "Ultra" setting. Notice, among the spectators, that one woman's coffee cup is casting a shadow on the leg of the woman next to her, while that woman's phone is casting a shadow on the leg of the man next to her. That's The Good Stuff, I'm afraid.

genejockey 10-13-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22268786)
Just peeked in on Watopia - even though it's night there, too, I'm getting shadows. Odd.

Moon?

genejockey 10-13-21 01:25 PM

That's funny - it's the same spectators. I guess that makes sense - why bother changing what are essentially bits of scenery you're supposed to be riding past at 20 mph.

EDIT: I notice they move, though, so they're not like buildings.

genejockey 10-13-21 01:28 PM

The first computer game I played was Zork, and the first video game I played was Pong, so to me all these graphics are AMAZING!!!!!

WhyFi 10-13-21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22268789)
Moon?

**** if I know. Bike isn't set up, so I didn't move about.

Just looked at Richmond again. It's golden hour, now, evidently. At first, I didn't think that I was getting shadows, but then I noticed that I was getting really looooooong, soft shadows from a low sun.

Trsnrtr 10-13-21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22268663)
Happy National Fossil Day, Trsnrtr!

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

genejockey 10-13-21 01:34 PM

My biggest issue with my current setup is just how long it takes to launch, or update, or load any of the worlds. I can live with the low resolution and crappy frame rate, but as I detailed the other day, any new update basically means I have to wait 20 minutes between launching and being able to ride.