Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

genejockey 07-23-22 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22584632)
Driving to Austin in a couple of hours. Will put the Garmin in my pocket and pick up a few KOMs.

Strap a cadence sensor to one of the wheels, so it won't be suspicious.

t2p 07-23-22 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22584632)
Driving to Austin in a couple of hours. Will put the Garmin in my pocket and pick up a few KOMs.

cheating - or creative ?

hmmm

genejockey 07-23-22 09:26 AM

Second rest day for me today, and tomorrow I'mma do a non-ambitious ride, and see how it goes. I figure "overtraining" is unlikely, but I suppose 'under-recovering' is possible.

Mojo31 07-23-22 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22584773)
Strap a cadence sensor to one of the wheels, so it won't be suspicious.

Would 95 mph for 30 miles be suspicious? Even with a draft from an 18 wheeler?

genejockey 07-23-22 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22584793)
Would 95 mph for 30 miles be suspicious? Even with a draft from an 18 wheeler?

Apparently on older Masis, you can do 60 mph in the small ring, so 95 should be possible in the big ring, right?

Mojo31 07-23-22 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22584795)
Apparently on older Masis, you can do 60 mph in the small ring, so 95 should be possible in the big ring, right?

Certainly with modern tech and strong thighs.

seedsbelize2 07-23-22 10:00 AM

An older masi would tempt me if it came my way.

datlas 07-23-22 11:25 AM

We had a good ride. It was not terribly hot to start, but really warmed up quickly. We had one rider who had two flats. He did not get the memo that peel/stick patches suck and are not permanent. He had “fixed” a flat last night with one, and his spare tube had been patched the same way. So a few miles into the ride he flatted, put on his spare, and of course that flatted a few miles later. He borrowed a new tube and no more flats. He should attend the datlas school of patching.

Most of the guys were getting hot by the end, so I reckon 70 miles was good enough.

phrantic09 07-23-22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22584914)
He should attend the datlas school of patching.

Or go tubeless

datlas 07-23-22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22584930)
Or go tubeless

Eff tubeless. (ducks)

datlas 07-23-22 12:47 PM

I noticed you can “like” comments on Strava now. Hmm….

mschwett 07-23-22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22584930)
Or go tubeless

best thing i’ve done this year. <fingers crossed>

datlas 07-23-22 01:03 PM

Wow, Trainsnorter is running away with the top slot this week. No one even comes close.

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:07 PM

I find myself irrationally excited about the rice cooker that I ordered yesterday, and which should arrive tomorrow. I only tell you this because Addiction is, supposedly, the thread of self-importance... but then again, how self-important can I be if I'm excited about a rice cooker. Now I'm confused. :foo:

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22584989)
Eff tubeless. (ducks)

Tubeless ducks don't make any sense at all.

datlas 07-23-22 01:08 PM

Speaking of tubeless, a clubmate on another ride today had to make the call of shame due to a valve failure. Said it kept leaking. Is that a thing? My guess is it had some sealant in it that kept it open slightly, but idk.

datlas 07-23-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22585006)
I find myself irrationally excited about the rice cooker that I ordered yesterday, and which should arrive tomorrow. I only tell you this because Addiction is, supposedly, the thread of self-importance... but then again, how self-important can I be if I'm excited about a rice cooker. Now I'm confused. :foo:

We have a really good rice cooker. It even talks to you! However I need mrs datlas to translate as it speaks only in Korean.

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22585004)
Wow, Trainsnorter is running away with the top slot this week. No one even comes close.

A 300 mile week is pretty rare air for the group. Maybe if bam had an entire week off, and enough leash, he'd be in that territory. Even if I have all the time that I want, I don't often have the desire to go much beyond 200, not unless I have a specific target in mind, for whatever reason.

datlas 07-23-22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22585014)
A 300 mile week is pretty rare air for the group. Maybe if bam had an entire week off, and enough leash, he'd be in that territory. Even if I have all the time that I want, I don't often have the desire to go much beyond 200, not unless I have a specific target in mind, for whatever reason.

If I had a whole week off and good weather, I think I would possibly ride 400 miles. But I am not normal, obv.

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22585011)
We have a really good rice cooker. It even talks to you! However I need mrs datlas to translate as it speaks only in Korean.

I ordered a Toshiba. I looked at some models from Zojirushi, the Dura Ace of rice cookers, but the fuzzy logic ones were twice as expensive as the Toshiba, which also has fuzzy logic. I guess that I'm only a 105-level kind of guy when it comes to rice cookers.

datlas 07-23-22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22585017)
I ordered a Toshiba. I looked at some models from Zojirushi, the Dura Ace of rice cookers, but the fuzzy logic ones were twice as expensive as the Toshiba, which also has fuzzy logic. I guess that I'm only a 105-level kind of guy when it comes to rice cookers.

Here is ours. It does a good job, but I have no idea how it rates in the hierarchy. It could be Tiagra or even Microshift for all I know

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7428637ef.jpeg

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22585009)
Speaking of tubeless, a clubmate on another ride today had to make the call of shame due to a valve failure. Said it kept leaking. Is that a thing? My guess is it had some sealant in it that kept it open slightly, but idk.

Hmmm. Valves can fail, but it depends. When I check/top off sealant, I'll pull off any globs of coagulated sealant from the valve seal - those little boogers can keep the valve from snapping shut tightly from the internal air pressure, but aren't usually an issue once finger tight. The more common problem, I think, is valve stem failing at the rim bed. I've had some valve stems that just fit poorly, but I think that the biggest problem is actually overtightening them and distorting the gasket.

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22585015)
If I had a whole week off and good weather, I think I would possibly ride 400 miles. But I am not normal, obv.

I would have to be really fed up with my family to do that. Actually, now that I think about it, I've done the Festive 500 (km) twice, both in VA, and they were a nice excuse to get away from the inlaw's house.

datlas 07-23-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22585024)
Hmmm. Valves can fail, but it depends. When I check/top off sealant, I'll pull off any globs of coagulated sealant from the valve seal - those little boogers can keep the valve from snapping shut tightly from the internal air pressure, but aren't usually an issue once finger tight. The more common problem, I think, is valve stem failing at the rim bed. I've had some valve stems that just fit poorly, but I think that the biggest problem is actually overtightening them and distorting the gasket.

He wrote it started to leak air mid-ride and could not be fixed. He made the call of shame. That said, he does not do his own wrenching so maybe it was user error or something that could have been fixed.

WhyFi 07-23-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22585021)
Here is ours. It does a good job, but I have no idea how it rates in the hierarchy. It could be Tiagra or even Microshift for all I know

Oh, I saw that brand, but didn't look in to them at all. An induction model isn't going to be any lower than Ultegra. :beer:

How big is that one? I ended up going with a 6-cup (prepared), which is on the smaller side, but I rarely make more than 1.5 Cups of uncooked, anyway, so I thought that it would be sufficient for 98% of our needs. The whole "rice cooker cups aren't Cups" thing is confusing, too. :rolleyes: