Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 07-28-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22590887)
I picked a random one to follow. She didn’t crash.

Did she make a wrong turn?

seedsbelize2 07-28-22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22590775)
So that's a fairly cheap brand.

Tomatoes and pineapples are separate kinds of challenging. Tomatoes require a sharp but toothy edge to cut the skin without crushing the flesh but also not skid along the skin. Pineapples, by contrast, have very tough skin that chews up sharp edges pretty quickly. That'll take frequent sharpening to handle both well.

I have a 1000/3000 oilstone out in the woodshop that does a nice job on the current one.

rjones28 07-28-22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22590814)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0e347ee62.jpeg

I recall the Vega

a neighbor owned a large service station / body shop - worked there a number of years (on and off) teen age years

Vega rusted quickly - and they burned oil (also quickly lol)

terrible car ... it was a dead heat between the Vega ... Pinto ... and later the Aspen/Volare for the worst car of the decade ... (or all time)

but one guy back in the day - from datlas neck-of-the-woods (Malvern PA) put the Vega on the map in a different way ... pic attached

I remember seeing ol' Grumpy at Maple Grove Raceway BITD.

big john 07-28-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22590872)
Today the heat wore me out. Started super strong and out of no where I started failing. Average power the first 80 miles was 210, after that it dropped pretty dramatically til 168. Also couldn’t seem to get comfortable.

At a stop light I unclipped and my leg went into an instant cramp mode, the whole leg from by buttock to my ankle.

Are you drinking enough water? Acclimated?

Jack Tone 07-28-22 03:10 PM

I saw a new cardiologist last week. He started me on a new blood pressure med, carvedilol. A beta blocker, I think. Felt like crap all week and decided I HAD to try and ride today. I was planning a 15 mile ride. Got about 3 miles out and my heart slowed down to low 70's in a headwind. As low as 56 one time. I turned around, got home and got rid of the pills and back to my old med. Gonna try again this weekend.
\

genejockey 07-28-22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22590912)
I have a 1000/3000 oilstone out in the woodshop that does a nice job on the current one.

This is why one should always own a number of knives.

Which reminds me - I need to take mine to be sharpened.

bampilot06 07-28-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22590921)
Are you drinking enough water? Acclimated?

According to garmin, I am not acclimated. I guess early mornings don’t count.

seedsbelize2 07-28-22 03:20 PM

I recall the Vega

a neighbor owned a large service station / body shop - worked there a number of years (on and off) teen age years

terrible car ... it was a dead heat between the Vega ... Pinto ... and later the Aspen/Volare for the worst car of the decade ... (or all time)

but one guy back in the day - from datlas neck-of-the-woods (Malvern PA) put the Vega on the map in a different way ... pic attached

Quoting to see the attached pic.

Mojo31 07-28-22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22590937)

I started a ride yesterday when it was 104F. Didn't even last 10 miles.

Too old for that nonsense.

big john 07-28-22 03:28 PM

I recall the Vega

I worked at independent shops back in the days of Pintos and Vegas. I thought the Pinto was a much better engine once they went to the OHC.
Plenty of V-8 Vegas running around as daily drivers and at the drags.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7107950dcd.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ffb817b7b.jpg

big john 07-28-22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22590937)

Since I no longer work in the heat I try to take my time acclimating. It actually cooled down a bit here which makes me think next time it goes back up over 100 it's going to suck.
One thing I do is drink a lot of water. Couple weeks ago I did about 50 miles with climbing and I drank 6 large bottles during the ride. Still wanted more when I got home but had no cramps or nausea or other problems.

phrantic09 07-28-22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22590966)
Since I no longer work in the heat I try to take my time acclimating. It actually cooled down a bit here which makes me think next time it goes back up over 100 it's going to suck.
One thing I do is drink a lot of water. Couple weeks ago I did about 50 miles with climbing and I drank 6 large bottles during the ride. Still wanted more when I got home but had no cramps or nausea or other problems.

I drank 6 bottles on my ride last weekend that was a not so climby 53 miles. It was super humid and I still didn’t have enough water.

big john 07-28-22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22590975)
I drank 6 bottles on my ride last weekend that was a not so climby 53 miles. It was super humid and I still didn’t have enough water.

Sometimes you just have to drink more than usual, more than you might think you need.

phrantic09 07-28-22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22590984)
Sometimes you just have to drink more than usual, more than you might think you need.

I have a few routes planned for next week and this weekend that give me water /food about every 20 miles. Will be perfect

datlas 07-28-22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22590922)
I saw a new cardiologist last week. He started me on a new blood pressure med, carvedilol. A beta blocker, I think. Felt like crap all week and decided I HAD to try and ride today. I was planning a 15 mile ride. Got about 3 miles out and my heart slowed down to low 70's in a headwind. As low as 56 one time. I turned around, got home and got rid of the pills and back to my old med. Gonna try again this weekend.
\

A beta blocker will really reduce your max HR and thus lower your top end on the bike. It might be medically necessary, but you may wish to discuss with him/her.

I sometimes joke that the best way to beat your friends on a ride is not to take a PED, but rather, slip a little beta blocker into their water bottles.

indyfabz 07-28-22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22590913)
I remember seeing ol' Grumpy at Maple Grove Raceway BITD.

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

genejockey 07-28-22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591004)
A beta blocker will really reduce your max HR and thus lower your top end on the bike. It might be medically necessary, but you may wish to discuss with him/her.

I sometimes joke that the best way to beat your friends on a ride is not to take a PED, but rather, slip a little beta blocker into their water bottles.

I was talking with my PCP about hypertension drugs, and particularly about beta blockers. She told me nobody would prescribe me those, since my RHR is in the low 40s.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22590872)
Today the heat wore me out. Started super strong and out of no where I started failing. Average power the first 80 miles was 210, after that it dropped pretty dramatically til 168. Also couldn’t seem to get comfortable.

At a stop light I unclipped and my leg went into an instant cramp mode, the whole leg from by buttock to my ankle.

And what heart rates were necessary to produce those power numbers? That’s what to watch in the heat, in my opinion.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22590884)
Crazy crashiness in the girls' race today.

God, just saw that! This race is more dangerous than any Cat III-IV squirrelfest I ever rode in and a whole lot faster!

genejockey 07-28-22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591021)
And what heart rates were necessary to produce those power numbers? That’s what to watch in the heat, in my opinion.

I do wonder, when you see the TdF guys (and gals)climbing at ridiculous speeds in 40C temps, how it doesn't kill them. I mean, they're probably hydrating as fast as the domestiques can ferry bottles to them from the team car, but still.

big john 07-28-22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591022)
God, just saw that! This race is more dangerous than any Cat III-IV squirrelfest I ever rode in and a whole lot faster!

Another monster sprint, too.

big john 07-28-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591021)

If dehydration drives the heart rate up that must affect power?

big john 07-28-22 05:00 PM

News just announced no new mask mandate for L.A. County. They had planned it but cases dropped enough to put it off.

t2p 07-28-22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22590952)
I worked at independent shops back in the days of Pintos and Vegas. I thought the Pinto was a much better engine once they went to the OHC.
Plenty of V-8 Vegas running around as daily drivers and at the drags.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7107950dcd.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ffb817b7b.jpg

agree - Pinto engine did appear to perform better - and did not appear to burn as much oil ... not certain - but the Vega engine block might have been aluminum without cast liners (?)

of course the Pinto was known for fires when involved in collisions to the rear (early Mustang actually had similar problem . lack of true / substantial trunk floor

good friend's neighbor had a Cosworth Vega - neat car

this guy was a GM / Chevrolet service rep ... he had a bunch of neat cars and access to a lot of parts and accessories ...typically drove a Corvette or Camaro during the summer months and a 4wd Blazer (or whatever) during the winter months ... at the time I considered his job to be my fav job

and he took care of us - he got us complete Chevy 4-bolt main truck short blocks (for next to nothing) - we then added the rest of the parts and we had great running cars

genejockey 07-28-22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22591042)
News just announced no new mask mandate for L.A. County. They had planned it but cases dropped enough to put it off.

I suspect the Public Health folks were relived not to have to impose it. Everyone who's willing to wear a mask is probably already doing so, and a lot of the ones who won't are prone to violent fantasy. Nothing like death threats from the troglodytes for trying to keep people from dying.