Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

ls01 08-28-21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22205275)
SO, if you're a weight weenie with a CF bike, CF wheels with CF spokes, CD cranks, CF fork and steerer, CF stem and bars, CFseapost and saddle with CF rails, you gotta carry a pocket full of change.

Rare earth magnet on bb shell works too

genejockey 08-28-21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22205312)
My wheels are metal and the light to go to the Brown Squirrel loop doesn't pick me up. Sometimes I've stood there for several minutes. It's lame.

BTDT. One time I had to wait for about 5 minutes for a car to want to turn left, so all the metal mass would trigger the light. Trust me, this wasn't a "Right turn + U turn = Left turn" situation Fast moving cross traffic, and a whole lot of it.

genejockey 08-28-21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22205313)

I've avoided this so far by having aluminum cranks and rims and steel spokes, even on my CF bikes.

Or waiting for an obliging, left turning car.

DougRNS 08-28-21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22205313)

Reminds me of this
LAJ

MoAlpha 08-28-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22205236)
A lot of them don't pick up metal bikes either, some intersections won't even pick up a motorcycle. Old inductive loops, or the sensitivity is set too low or ???

My dad waited for traffic signals in Manhattan. The cops would laugh at him.

DougRNS 08-28-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22205318)
I've avoided this so far by having aluminum cranks and rims and steel spokes, even on my CF bikes.

Or waiting for an obliging, left turning car.

back when I was a cyclist I avoided it by riding in BFE or the Silver Comet Trail.

genejockey 08-28-21 07:30 PM

The predicted high for today was 84. The ACTUAL high was 98. This seems to happen a lot, that the high wildly overshoots the prediction. Some of this is probably down to just how quickly solar irradiance can heat up dry air. But come on! 14 degrees off?

LesterOfPuppets 08-28-21 07:36 PM

If there's a big enough break in the traffic to do a U-turn, then you might as well have gone through the red light. The right turn doesn't help.

it does lend an air of legality though.

genejockey 08-28-21 07:37 PM

Is it cheating on Strava to only join challenges you've already completed?

genejockey 08-28-21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22205343)
it does lend an air of legality though.

I see people doing it all the time for lights that only take a minute. I'm not even sure it complies with the letter of the law, and clearly violates the spirit.

OTOH, slowing down then rolling a stop sign, going across the top of the T, when nobody is anywhere around is complying with the spirit, but not the letter.

rjones28 08-28-21 07:41 PM

My wheels are metal and the light to go to the Brown Squirrel loop doesn't pick me up. Sometimes I've stood there for several minutes. It's lame.

If there's a big enough break in the traffic to do a U-turn, then you might as well have gone through the red light. The right turn doesn't help.

Pick a route that only has right turns. Problem solved.

ls01 08-28-21 07:44 PM

So I spent the morning in man-tenance mode. Both of Contadores rear wheels needed trueing and the addition of spoke freeze to the non drive side nipples.
Next was a new Tipsum 11 speed chain. Turned out the one on the bike was a Tipsum sl 11. So I'll answer my own question. Tipsums are great! Very nice finish on the parts.
Recently I threw a set of Panaracer race D tyres on him. They aren't bad, but the closest to conti 5k's as I've found. They are a bit sluggish but they wear really hard, but ride probably a touch better than 5k's. I've decided to go back to 23mm width tyres on him. So I put on some 23mm 5k's I had been hoarding. It handles and performed so much better, even taking 10 and 15 psi out. I LIKE IT. They measure 24.5 mm after mounting and pumping. Close enough. So I did 60 ish miles today in some rather blustery conditions. 90 degrees or so. Kicked my ass pretty good.

I want to thank all you all for the kind wishes and prayers for my Dad. He is starting chemo soon. 2 types actually. He has Lukemia. So no back surgery. According to mom they are experimenting on him with the chemo they are trying. They moved him to the Cancer ward yesterday. At least his new room doesn't smell like Urine like the old one. Yuk.
Again Thank you. Mom is doing well, holding things together so far but they both kinda have a resigned, going through the motions attitude about things.

rjones28 08-28-21 07:45 PM

There is one stop sign on my ride to the bike shop at which I come to a more complete stop than the cars do. I do not put a foot down.

Velo Vol 08-28-21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22205330)
back when I was a cyclist I avoided it by riding in BFE or the Silver Comet Trail.

We know.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22205345)
Is it cheating on Strava to only join challenges you've already completed?

No.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22205349)
Pick a route that only has right turns. Problem solved.

I'm not UPS.

bampilot06 08-28-21 07:50 PM

Swapped out stems on the c2 tonight. Whyfi was kind enough to bring me a spare one of his, something that should have taken 5 mins naturally ended up taking over an hour.

I can’t get it to stop having play. I’m preloading it like I have always done and once I have it all together and hold the front brake the front end making a popping noise when I rock it. Not entirely sure I feel play, but it wasn’t doing that before. Took it apart atleast 5 times but it’s still doing It.

Not sure if having a stack of washers on top of my stem is causing problems but it wasn’t before.

Mojo31 08-28-21 07:55 PM

Ls01 - hope your dad pulls through.

rjones28 08-28-21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22205358)
Swapped out stems on the c2 tonight. Whyfi was kind enough to bring me a spare one of his, something that should have taken 5 mins naturally ended up taking over an hour.

I can’t get it to stop having play. I’m preloading it like I have always done and once I have it all together and hold the front brake the front end making a popping noise when I rock it. Not entirely sure I feel play, but it wasn’t doing that before. Took it apart atleast 5 times but it’s still doing It.

Not sure if having a stack of washers on top of my stem is causing problems but it wasn’t before.

Sounds like the new stem has more stack height than the old one. Probably not much more. If you have a small (less than 5mm) headset spacer, try adding that.

Velo Vol 08-28-21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22205352)
There is one stop sign on my ride to the bike shop at which I come to a more complete stop than the cars do. I do not put a foot down.

My longer route ride to the office there's ~25 stop lights, plus some stop signs. #NotTheBoondocks

DougRNS 08-28-21 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22205356)
I'm not UPS.

We know.

DougRNS 08-28-21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22205374)
My longer route ride to the office there's ~25 stop lights, plus some stop signs. #NotTheBoondocks

It's a hard knock life in the Greater West Central Jefferson City Metro area.:(

bampilot06 08-28-21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22205372)
Sounds like the new stem has more stack height than the old one. Probably not much more. If you have a small (less than 5mm) headset spacer, try adding that.

I just watched a park tool video, they mentioned how sometimes the stem cap has a lip underneath and that can be just enough to prevent from tightening. I’ll take a look tomorrow, I have two other caps that might work. I don’t have anymore spacers.

Did like the stem for the short little test ride around my street.

LAJ 08-28-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22205351)
So I spent the morning in man-tenance mode. Both of Contadores rear wheels needed trueing and the addition of spoke freeze to the non drive side nipples.
Next was a new Tipsum 11 speed chain. Turned out the one on the bike was a Tipsum sl 11. So I'll answer my own question. Tipsums are great! Very nice finish on the parts.
Recently I threw a set of Panaracer race D tyres on him. They aren't bad, but the closest to conti 5k's as I've found. They are a bit sluggish but they wear really hard, but ride probably a touch better than 5k's. I've decided to go back to 23mm width tyres on him. So I put on some 23mm 5k's I had been hoarding. It handles and performed so much better, even taking 10 and 15 psi out. I LIKE IT. They measure 24.5 mm after mounting and pumping. Close enough. So I did 60 ish miles today in some rather blustery conditions. 90 degrees or so. Kicked my ass pretty good.

I want to thank all you all for the kind wishes and prayers for my Dad. He is starting chemo soon. 2 types actually. He has Lukemia. So no back surgery. According to mom they are experimenting on him with the chemo they are trying. They moved him to the Cancer ward yesterday. At least his new room doesn't smell like Urine like the old one. Yuk.
Again Thank you. Mom is doing well, holding things together so far but they both kinda have a resigned, going through the motions attitude about things.

Whew, ls01. I hope things go as smoothly as possible. Positive thoughts.

LesterOfPuppets 08-28-21 08:29 PM

Almost done with today's project: irrigation as-builts

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...85f703cd10.png

Velo Vol 08-28-21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22205402)
Almost done with today's project: irrigation as-builts

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...85f703cd10.png

Small lawn if that is 1/16 its size.

LesterOfPuppets 08-28-21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22205420)
Small lawn if that is 1/16 its size.

​​​​​​You would have to output the PDF on size D paper to scale the drawing.

I guess I could put a scale bar on there so anyone can scale it.