Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cannondale Synapse fork brg discrepancy (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1264100)

yannisg 11-29-22 01:39 PM

Cannondale Synapse fork brg discrepancy

Bike Cannondale synapse HiMod 2012.
When replacing the fork bearings it was discovered that the Synapse and the Synapse HiMod do not have the same fork brgs which is not shown on the Cannondale technical data.
The brgs on the Synapse top and bottom are the same whereas the Synapse HiMod the top brgs is the same as the Synapse, but the bottom brg is larger. This information was not available to the local dealer.
I was able to located the top brg from the LBS which had the same ID, OD and thickness.
For the bottom brgs I got a FSA brg through the dealer that has the same ID, OD as the original, but is thicher by 0.3 mm. The chamfers seem identical, I cannot measure them accurately. No marking exist on the old brgs.
I installed the fork with the new brgs; it turns freely, and there is no play. I do not have the brake installed to verify the play.
Talking to the LBS he recommends using the old lower brg since the new one is not identical. The old one turns smoothly by hand, but since I did the overhaul I decided to use a new brg.
As views or recommendations?

veganbikes 11-29-22 01:52 PM

Get the correct bearings. Your local shop can measure the old one with a pair of calipers and you can then order the correct ones or you can try and reach out to Cannondale with your serial number and they can confirm the bearings needed.

yannisg 11-29-22 01:58 PM

The lower FSA brg was recommended by Cannondale

Iride01 11-29-22 02:08 PM

If you have a bearing supplier to your local industry nearby, then go to their parts desk with the old bearings. They'll quickly find you the correct replacement if those are not a proprietary design exclusively for Cannondale.

And they'll probably be a heck of a lot less expensive since your bike shop has to either buy from them or some one similar.

yannisg 11-29-22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22724515)
If you have a bearing supplier to your local industry nearby, then go to their parts desk with the old bearings. They'll quickly find you the correct replacement if those are not a proprietary design exclusively for Cannondale.

And they'll probably be a heck of a lot less expensive since your bike shop has to either buy from them or some one similar.

Local brg supplier will probably have a brg with the same ID,OD,W, but it will not have the chamfer.

FBinNY 11-29-22 08:06 PM

I'm not sure I understand. It seems that you found a bearing that fits, and seems to work when the fork is installed.

So, what's the problem? To paraphrase Admiral Hopper: actually working is worth a thousand expert opinions".

So go ahead and complete the installation, check for play and free movement, and vertical fit. It you can't find anything wrong, then ride the bike.

maddog34 11-29-22 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by yannisg (Post 22724501)
The lower FSA brg was recommended by Cannondale

.3mm = .012".... ain't diddley... my toyota calls for that as valve lash on the exhaust valves...run it.

yannisg 11-30-22 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 22724869)
I'm not sure I understand. It seems that you found a bearing that fits, and seems to work when the fork is installed.

So, what's the problem? To paraphrase Admiral Hopper: actually working is worth a thousand expert opinions".

So go ahead and complete the installation, check for play and free movement, and vertical fit. It you can't find anything wrong, then ride the bike.

My LBS got me worried about not using the exact same lower brg even though I told them that there is no marking on the existing brg, and that Cannondale had recommended the new installed brg.
As mentioned, fork turns freely and smoothly without play so I'm doing to proceed with the rest of the installation.
Thanks, for responding. Your advice is always appreciated.