Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 12-31-20 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by IsleRide (Post 21855836)
Which bike did you bring with you?

I didn't bring one but I'm asking/looking around.
The streets here are pretty rough.
I'm considering getting one of these
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7b10827b57.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7f62c5d3e9.jpg
Italika Spitfire
200 cc
$1,300.00 (US) brand new.....

gster 12-31-20 08:47 AM

I think I've jump started a good rant here about the good ol' days...
Growing up in the 60's we were all obsessed with wheels..
Cars, bikes, motorbikes, go carts etc.
Any chance we had we'd be out searching on garbage day
for wheels and then tried to cobble together some sort of
go cart thing..
My mother would literally kick me out of the house in the morning
and tell me not to come home until suppertime.
"Get on your bike and go find your friends but you're not hanging around
here all day watching TV.."
Of course I'd often come home covered in mud and scraped up pretty good
with a field mouse in my pocket......

JIMBO53 12-31-20 02:04 PM

Last Bike Find of the Year: 1965 Rudge Sport!! Happy New Year To Me!!

I started collecting vintage British 3 speed roadster bikes this year, veering off from my regular prewar American balloon and motorbike style bikes. These old Brits have saved my sanity during the pandemic, having accumulated 11 so far.
My most recent find was an Ebay find, a 1965 Rudge Sport. It was local pickup only, and being 4 hours away gave me pause (for a short while, anyway...) until I told myself "It's a 65 Rudge, you fool! Fill up the tank and hit the road!"
What you see is the condition as found, with the addition of tires, tubes, a quick wipe down with a damp rag and a favorite Brooks B72 saddle with my lock and cable bag bearing my 1974 LAW (League of American Wheelmen) Century Run patch, the year I got serious about biking, and I'm still going strong at age 67!
It's a 23" frame (perfect for my 6' body) and has very nice Dunlop stainless steel rims. Everything is original, paint in rather exceptional condition with the exception of the dinged up chain guard and some flaky decals, which I've decided not to replace to maintain the authenticity of the beautiful bike. The eye is drawn to the shiny Open Hand chainring, one of the most beautiful chainrings out there, IMHO. Pedal blocks are original and dusty, but not much wear at all.
A unique item (to me at least...) it the chrome steel Oxford frame pump. Never seen one, and couldn't find anything on the internet about it. The head badge is pristine, and such an iconic design.
As Brits would say, I'm quite chuffed with my find, and happy to end a pretty dismal year with such a find.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4f070dc05.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1550f95107.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...305caf7db5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aba434a50b.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61b1cec356.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9aee0ad7d1.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ac66a6aa5d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b0b3692dea.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8d537c907.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9f6322eed5.jpg

2fat2fly 01-01-21 01:59 AM

It must be nice to find older bikes that aren't rusty. Everything I look at around here is rusty, either its been stored outdoors for 40 years or the salt air got to them.

I looked at a bike the other day, a late 70's 23" frame Raleigh Sports, it was in a guys garage down the shore, about 5 miles from the beach. The rims and all the chrome were pitted, every last spoke nipple is rusted to the point you likely couldn't get a spoke wrench on them. The bike has original tires that still have flashing on the tread. Its likely not been ridden 5 miles over the years but it was left to rust in a garage for 40+ years.
I drove all the way there on a few pics he emailed me that were too small to show all the rusty bits. He wouldn't budge off his price so I left it. He wanted $250, I didn't think it was worth more than $150 in that shape. He called me when I was half way home to say he'd take $200, but I was too far away by the time he called. The next day the ad was gone. I guess someone didn't mind the rust.
It needed tires, lots of cleaning, a full regrease, and rims unless you don't mind pitted or missing chrome.
I never saw spoke nipples that rust like that. Most ever spoke nipples I've seen before were plated brass.

homelessjoe 01-01-21 02:57 AM

since the lockdown from the plague ive also restored a few British three speeds .....a 69 superb a 71 sports a 63 Triumph and just finishing up a 63 Dunelt......beauties when they are all shined up

Johno59 01-01-21 03:56 AM

Really nice bike but replace the chain ASAP. If it continues to eat your chain-ring (look at the teeth they are almost shark-finned) you will have to replace that as well - and a decent Rudge 'hand' crank-set is difficult to replace.

barnfind 01-01-21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21856266)
I think I've jump started a good rant here about the good ol' days...
Growing up in the 60's we were all obsessed with wheels..
Cars, bikes, motorbikes, go carts etc.
Any chance we had we'd be out searching on garbage day
for wheels and then tried to cobble together some sort of
go cart thing..
My mother would literally kick me out of the house in the morning
and tell me not to come home until suppertime.
"Get on your bike and go find your friends but you're not hanging around
here all day watching TV.."
Of course I'd often come home covered in mud and scraped up pretty good
with a field mouse in my pocket......

I was the same way as a kid, 10 bikes in the shed, a couple of go carts, an old tractor or two, and a few motorcycles.
When I was a kid, we weren't allowed in the house during the day unless it was pouring rain, even then we didn't much care. I remember riding in the pouring rain a lot. I even remember a buddies dad handing me the keys to one of the big trucks and telling me to go pick something up at the store, I was really tall even as a kid, so I was the only one of us kids who could reach the pedals in the truck. We knew not to do anything dumb, and never once had a problem. Off the road was a different story though. We all had all sorts of 'field cars' to beat on, even as kids. Not to mention an old Yamaha street bike with knobby tires and the fenders cut off to run the trails in the woods with. I got the bike from a guy on my newspaper route when I was maybe 10 or 12, three of us pushed it home and got it running. I have to admit, the big street bike back then really concerned my mother, but dad just smiled and said don't do anything stupid.
The next day we lopped off the exhaust, drilled a few carb jets, cut off the fenders and found two big nasty knobby tires to fit it at a local junk yard. I'm sure all the elderly neighbors back then loved that thing ripping up and down the street all day long. I sort of figured my parents knew so long as they heard it running around the neighborhood we were all good.

I was 9 or 10 years old when I got a welder for Christmas, from that point on things got fun.
As I got older a few motorcycles got stripped down to provide faster power for the go carts.
One go cart got a 1200 Katana engine and but we never gave it any brakes and a CB400 engine on a garden tractor.

I suppose its no wonder they never minded when I brought home another bicycle back then.
They were a lot quieter than most of the other toys. Of course, a common sight was the Yamaha street bike going down the road with a couple of other guys on bicycles hanging on to the back being towed way too fast.

barnfind 01-01-21 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21857482)
It must be nice to find older bikes that aren't rusty. Everything I look at around here is rusty, either its been stored outdoors for 40 years or the salt air got to them.

I looked at a bike the other day, a late 70's 23" frame Raleigh Sports, it was in a guys garage down the shore, about 5 miles from the beach. The rims and all the chrome were pitted, every last spoke nipple is rusted to the point you likely couldn't get a spoke wrench on them. The bike has original tires that still have flashing on the tread. Its likely not been ridden 5 miles over the years but it was left to rust in a garage for 40+ years.
I drove all the way there on a few pics he emailed me that were too small to show all the rusty bits. He wouldn't budge off his price so I left it. He wanted $250, I didn't think it was worth more than $150 in that shape. He called me when I was half way home to say he'd take $200, but I was too far away by the time he called. The next day the ad was gone. I guess someone didn't mind the rust.
It needed tires, lots of cleaning, a full regrease, and rims unless you don't mind pitted or missing chrome.
I never saw spoke nipples that rust like that. Most ever spoke nipples I've seen before were plated brass.

I just pulled this one out of the trailer, its a 1978 model in brown, with two old Kenda tires with Raleigh logos on little white tags on the one side of each tire. Likely the original tires as well.
I've seen rusty spoke nipples on a few later models, its as if they didn't plate or protect the spoke nipples at all. This one has rust on the spoke nipples but they're only rusty, not pitted or flaking away or anything. The newer chrome wasn't as good as the older bikes but it still lasted okay, none of these were ever meant to be stored outdoors without any sort of maintenance.
The new style chain guard, gumwall tires, and missing front light bracket were the big changes for the later models, the rest of the bike was pretty much the same. The padded saddle was the same as was used on a Sprite 27. I'm not a fan of gumwall tires on a bike like this. They look so much better with black tires.
My guess was that this bike didn't see much use either. Most of what it needs is just a relube and some polishing here and there.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb2e2e6a8f.jpg

FBOATSB 01-01-21 08:37 AM

This came up on my local CL. Too rich for my blood, but price can usually be massaged.
Indpls CLhttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c2f68d8729.jpg

sykerocker 01-01-21 09:38 AM

Morning of the New Year: It’s supposed to rain pretty much all day today, so I did a quick run on the Sprite this morning to try and get my daily 5+ in before it hit. Managed .75 miles and the rain started. Then quit after I’d put the bike away.

New Year’s resolutions: Finish the 55 Royal Enfield. Finally build the PX-10. And find myself a nice condition 70’s Sports with a 23” frame. Haven’t had one of those in 45 years.

dweenk 01-01-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21857712)
Morning of the New Year: It’s supposed to rain pretty much all day today, so I did a quick run on the Sprite this morning to try and get my daily 5+ in before it hit. Managed .75 miles and the rain started. Then quit after I’d put the bike away.

New Year’s resolutions: Finish the 55 Royal Enfield. Finally build the PX-10. And find myself a nice condition 70’s Sports with a 23” frame. Haven’t had one of those in 45 years.

Wish you were closer to me because have a nice one that I would like to pass on.

sykerocker 01-01-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21857891)
Wish you were closer to me because have a nice one that I would like to pass on.

Where in Maryland? Ashland, VA isn't all that far south, and I normally (which means this year doesn't necessarily count) head up to Westminster for the swap meet next month.

2fat2fly 01-02-21 01:55 AM

What did I just buy?

I picked this up this afternoon, its rough but it does ride.
Its a Dunelt, not sure of the year. The rear hub is an unknown, the brake arm has no brand on it. It sort of looks like a German Centrix hub but its a 40 spoke hub on a Dunlop rim. The rims are pretty rusty but seem solid. The bike is really rough but it was cheap at only $50.
Its a bit small for me, I was hoping to find something taller but there appears to be room to raise the seat quite a bit.
The speedometer and light kit are going to get tossed, the rear fender needs some work, it looks like someone beat on it with a pipe.
The bottom bracket has a grease port on the right side.
The rear hub has a grease fitting that's on a short stand pipe about 1/2" tall, with a grease fitting on top. The stand pipe appears to be part of the hub shell.
The saddle has a Wright logo on the back.
I was able to give the chain a shot of WD40 and pump up the tires and it does ride and stop, although it no doubt needs major work.
Any idea as to how old? The hub doesn't have any date codes showing that I can see and I didn't find any serial numbers anywhere on the frame yet.
Both tires are Dunlop branded and they match, both are badly dry rotted but they seem to hold air ok so far.
The seller gave me two other 'parts' bikes that aren't even remotely related to this bike, but I took them anyway figuring I can sell them to fund this one.
Its rough, but for $50, its the best deal I found considering that most $200 bikes I looked at weren't much better, or weren't even able to ride up the street and back. Keep in mind I use the term ridable loosely here, its by no means ready to use but the fact that I am able to sit on it and pedal it up and down the street is big plus compared to most others I've looked at.
The rear tube has a woods valve stem, the front is a common schrader valve.
The lettering on the frame is all painted, not decals.

I'm not sure at this point what I'm doing with it, but with enough time and labor it is fixable.
I'd have likely left it if it weren't for the oddball rear hub.
I'm used to seeing Sturmey Archer or Perry rear hubs on English single speed bikes, this doesn't appear to be from that family.
The hub shell looks a lot like an old Centrix hub but I never saw one in 40h on a larger bike, most of those were on kids bikes. Surprisingly the coaster brake works fine. The rims are even still true.
The rims are rusty, and the chrome is no doubt gone, but they don't seem to be pitted. I'm thinking that if they look okay under the tires, I may just sand and paint them black and rebuild both hubs. The bars, cranks, and the rest of the chrome seems like it'll polish up fine.
The paint is another story, any sort of polishing will eliminate what's left of the decals. Maybe a good cleaning and sealing it with clear is an option to retain the original look.
One bad part is that they sawed off the end of the original light bracket. The Cat Eye bracket on it now is on top of the original and the angle bracket they made to hold the current headlight is made from the piece they cut off.
The generator is one of those that rub the tire on the left side. Surprisingly, the thing still works and both lights still light up if you can manage to still pedal it after the generator is engaged. Flipping that thing into the tire feels like your dragging an anchor. It must have seen a lot of use because the tire is worn smooth where the generator contacts the tire.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0ac03ecb22.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...26db0f3a9d.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75ddb1d5c9.jpg

dweenk 01-02-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21858233)
Where in Maryland? Ashland, VA isn't all that far south, and I normally (which means this year doesn't necessarily count) head up to Westminster for the swap meet next month.

I am on the eastern shore (Salisbury), about 3 1/2 hours from Wesminster.

clubman 01-02-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21858798)
What did I just buy?

I'd say it's a circa 1960 Dunelt with a Birmingham front fork but fitted out and distributed by Raleigh. They often used up old stock Birmingham parts after the 1960 takeover. Perhaps it's a Sachs-Torpedo hub? A picture would help. Don't sand and paint the rims. Try to de-rust them first.

2fat2fly 01-02-21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21859107)
I'd say it's a circa 1960 Dunelt with a Birmingham front fork but fitted out and distributed by Raleigh. They often used up old stock Birmingham parts after the 1960 takeover. Perhaps it's a Sachs-Torpedo hub? A picture would help. Don't sand and paint the rims. Try to de-rust them first.

It didn't catch my eye when I first brought it home but it does have a cable pulley on the seat tube, so the coaster brake may not be original. The bars and chainstay though show no sign of having anything clamped to them, and there's no sign of it having a rear caliper. Maybe a coaster brake three speed? Usually a removed lever would leave a mark.
The cable pulley has a gray plastic wheel on it, which makes me think it may not be as old as the bike? When did they start using plastic cable guide wheels?

It could be a Torpedo hub, but there's no markings on the shell or arm that I can see.
The sides of the rims are worn down to bare steel, the front may clean up to have some shine but the rear will likely be just bare metal. Since the rear hub isn't correct, I'll likely strip that wheel down and try soaking that rim first. I did try to see if the spoke nipples turn, and every one I tried does turn freely.

Did the Dunelt bikes back then use the same Dunlop Endrick rims as all the other brands?
I really wish there was a source for new rims in 32/40h.
The bike is sort of at a point where its a toss up whether or not its worth fixing. To make it right, it needs new rims, an early AW hub, and a set of calipers and levers, all on top of the usual items like tires and a complete relube.
My thought is that even if it doesn't become my daily rider, it'll make a good second bike. I wish it were a slightly larger frame.
What I keep running into here is bad rims, nearly every last bike I've looked at has rims that are rusted to some degree. This one is the first that hasn't been rusted in a way that makes the rims weak. This rust is harder, more even, most have flaky, scaly rust concentrated in one area where the bike sat on the ground with a flat tire. Even the really clean looking bikes all had some degree of rust on them.
A few even had rusted out frames. This bike was chained to mailbox post in someone's yard out for sale. I go that way at least weekly and hadn't seen it before, there's no telling where it was stored before but like most, they had no problem leaving it out in the rain on the lawn with a for sale sign on it and a few others. All were 'ridable' in that they had air in the tires, pedaled, rolled, and stopped, but not much beyond that.

clubman 01-02-21 02:06 PM

I think the rear brake bridge would maybe show wear if a caliper had been installed, the bar chrome is tougher than paint. This isn't really a candidate for a thorough restoration but you can have fun with it to make it your own if you're so inclined. I've restored worse in my day, only to give them to friends or sell cheap. The pulley was probably steel but the plastic ones came in around '62 so it could be original. It also could have had a TCW coaster hub although I've only seen those on Raleigh branded bikes.
Endricks are fine rims, in fact they were Raleigh's choice on their club models at the time albeit in the EA1 size. Top tier Sports bikes (Raleigh, Rudge, Humber) got the Westricks but it's just a prestige thing. If you really need to restore this, PM me to discuss. I've got some rims and parts.

markk900 01-02-21 02:42 PM

2fat2fly Detailed pics of the hub from the other side will help a lot. The clamp on the top tube appears to have been a fulcrum clip so likely this was a three speed originally; you'd not necessarily see any scratches on the bars. Like clubman said, try de-rusting the wheels first - you might be amazed at the results. The frame looks like a nice repaint is due though it may polish out; you can certainly get decals to replace the originals but they may cost more than the bike itself. The rest of the chrome looks pretty good to be honest; it won't be perfect but you only need elbow grease and some cleaners/solvents.

Finally, don't toss the headlight. It might also clean up nicely. I had what I thought was a totally non-functional italian light on one bike; it was completely coated with spray paint and didn't seem to work. A bit of effort and I have a working (and original) 50s light and dynamo.....

To be honest, and I did this with my Humber: concentrate on basic cleaning without going for a full on restoration; just get it nice and clean and as shiny as you can. Then ride it for a while until you decide if a) you hate it; b) you like it but its OK the way it is, or c) you love it and you need to see it back to its original glory. Whatever the outcome it will be fun.

2fat2fly 01-02-21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21859307)
I think the rear brake bridge would maybe show wear if a caliper had been installed, the bar chrome is tougher than paint. This isn't really a candidate for a thorough restoration but you can have fun with it to make it your own if you're so inclined. I've restored worse in my day, only to give them to friends or sell cheap. The pulley was probably steel but the plastic ones came in around '62 so it could be original. It also could have had a TCW coaster hub although I've only seen those on Raleigh branded bikes.
Endricks are fine rims, in fact they were Raleigh's choice on their club models at the time albeit in the EA1 size. Top tier Sports bikes (Raleigh, Rudge, Humber) got the Westricks but it's just a prestige thing. If you really need to restore this, PM me to discuss. I've got some rims and parts.

I went outside and took a closer look at this in the daylight. After some scrubbing with some steel wool I can see the reaction arm is stamped Komet Super, there's also a tiny F&S on the hub shell just above the oil port.
Two other things I noticed is that the tires are marked 26x1 1/4" not 1 3/8". The tires held air overnight, I oiled the chain and took it for a bit of ride. I was surprised that the old Western Auto branded speedometer still works. I wiped off the green mossy layer off the lens and saw the mileage too. Someone did some serious riding on this thing.
There are no tenths, only miles. I went up and down my 1/2 mile long road here and it clocked one mile,
The rear hub works but the brakes self engage when you push the bike backwards if you don't step down forward on the pedals a bit after stopping. No doubt what ever lube in there has turned to glue. I did give it a shot of motor oil before riding it though. The rear rack doesn't belong, someone made up sheet metal adapters that give it a place to attach since the fenders mount low to the rear. It going to take a lot of rust remover to get this one clean.
It will need new wheels, the more I look at them the less hopeful I am that they can ever be even somewhat presentable again.
The bike feels small, even though I can raise the bars and saddle, the bike feels short with my knees interfering with the handle bars when riding it. I've looked at others and ridden a few newer Raleigh bikes in a similar frame size and they weren't this cramped feeling. Its as if the seat is closer to the stem on this one.
One of the junk parts bikes that came with this is an old Rollfast, that bike has the same size frame but gives me a longer arms reach. Its in about the same shape but with a Bendix rear hub. The other parts bike is either a Sears or Huffy with a Shimano rear hub, its cleaner but a very cheap bike. I only took that one because its got two new tires on it and half as much rust. After seeing the different tire sizes, I don't think that one will even donate tires to this bike, unless I swap over he wheels but I'm not about to put a Shimano hub on a Dunelt.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37d81cded4.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c47ad1c9d3.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce436fad3d.jpg

clubman 01-02-21 05:23 PM

Komet Super brakes are no great shake so sourcing an SA 3 speed hub and requisite rear caliper set is the way to go. I like markk900's suggestion of getting a feel for the bike.. If it hasn't been tweaked in an accident, you'll probably like it IF it's not too small for you. Wait for a 23" frame if this one doesn't work for you.

BTW I love the chain stay shim they provided with the brake arm. Prevents damage when you cinch it down. And the Fichel & Sachs logo may have a date code beside it. Check out hubstripping.com for more info.

2fat2fly 01-03-21 02:08 AM

The bike seems to ride okay, but the bars hit my knees. A longer stem would help, plus a taller seat post. I've ridden other bikes with smaller frames, I've got an old Schwinn middleweight that I ride on occasion that's fine but its got huge, wide bars and I bought it an extra long seat post.
My guess is that somewhere along the line both wheels on this were changed since they both use ISO 597 tires. The front rim isn't identical to the rear, the spokes in the front wheel never rusted, the rear wheel spokes are completely rusted. The front rim has nearly perfectly straight sides, the rear has a slight spread toward the tire. The rear rim also has obvious caliper wear but there's no caliper. I'm thinking it likely had a three speed coaster brake at some point.
For right now, its going to sit till I find a set of wheels with an AW hub. I'll tear it down and start cleaning up the parts that do belong and it'll hang on a hook till I find some wheels. The rear rack, its homemade mounts, the speedometer, and headlight set will not go back onto the bike in the end.

I was surprised to see that the rear fender emblem is just another headbadge, so the banged up fender can be swapped out without needing any decals.
A buddy said he can fix the paint with an airbrush once I remove the rust. Leaving the original lettering untouched.
The front fender ,and chainguard are badly rusted, the rear fender is badly dented.
The lettering on this almost looks like they painted it with some sort of stencil with a brush, the pin striping is brush painted as is the Dunelt logos. They had to have some sort of guide to mass produce these like this.

barnfind 01-03-21 05:38 AM

A Komet Super is light duty in my opinion for a full size man's bike. They work, but not great.
I was thinking maybe you had a pair of Schwinn wheels on that but I don't recall them using 32/40h wheels.
The wheels are likely older than the bike.
I see the BB shell oil port is plastic, the shift cable pulley is gray plastic but it could have been replaced, the saddle looks original, the bars, stem cranks are all original and look like they will clean up.
Someone who is proficient with an air brush can really bring that old paint job back with some strategic touch up work and a coat of clear to seal everything so it don't get any worse.
I was told by someone many years ago that the older model Raleigh's were hand pinstriped and lettered, I can't say how long that continued for. I do know that I've got a Robin Hood here with a hub dated 2-61, that's got water slide type decals that are falling off it in the wind.
It does not have an oil port in the BB. Many years ago I had a taller version of that frame, I think mine was circa 1954. Mine came to me in the early 70's with a BSA hub and shifter, the same style forks as yours, and the same saddle. Mine had a "Dunelt" chainring, with a wider chain guard. I don't remember any riveted badge on the rear fender, I believe mine had a decal that matched the headbadge. The bike had a ton of pinstriping, every tube and both fenders were outlined.

gster 01-03-21 12:08 PM

Still Out There
Here's one for sale in Toronto @ $80.00
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a1e263b4d.jpg
Looks like a Dunelt Skyliner with a Raleigh chain guard
Looks a bit like mine that was swiped a few years ago.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62e095ccac.jpg
As bought but it looked like this when swiped...
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...057e60c0b1.jpg

markk900 01-03-21 12:56 PM

gster It seems to have a Heron crank as well.....maybe a bitsa? But I do have to say when you compare what you can get in Toronto for 80 canadian Pesos vs what 2fat2fly got for $80 USD it really shows how the markets vary.

clubman 01-03-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21859929)
My guess is that somewhere along the line both wheels on this were changed since they both use ISO 597 tires..

I've got a pair of EA1 Endrick wheels in the basement that came off of a minty 1955 Dunelt. When I sold the bike, the buyer wanted EA3 rims so I swapped another set I had lying around that weren't nearly as nice. So your bike could have had 26 x 1 1/4 wheels. Just a data point.

gster 01-03-21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 21860470)
gster It seems to have a Heron crank as well.....maybe a bitsa? But I do have to say when you compare what you can get in Toronto for 80 canadian Pesos vs what 2fat2fly got for $80 USD it really shows how the markets vary.

I suspect that Canada was a fairly big market for Raleigh.
3 speeds seem plentiful here.
There's always plenty of Ladies bikes offered.
Worth buying for a nice wheel set.
There's a ladies Superbe down the street locked to a post and slowly
and slowing turning to rust....

2fat2fly 01-03-21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21860477)
I've got a pair of EA1 Endrick wheels in the basement that came off of a minty 1955 Dunelt. When I sold the bike, the buyer wanted EA3 rims so I swapped another set I had lying around that weren't nearly as nice. So your bike could have had 26 x 1 1/4 wheels. Just a data point.

Would EA1 rims have coexisted with the hockey stick chain guard and plastic BB oil port?

I found another cable guide wheel bracket with no wheel on it hanging from the bottom of the saddle, the small boss where the wheel rotates on is broken off. So maybe the plastic wheel is a replacement, just a long time ago.
I looked at a Robin Hood that I was told was bought in 1970 that had the same little chrome pad where the coaster brake arm attaches, that bike had a three speed with a coaster brake. That bike however had an even small frame.

Looking at pictures of older Dunelts I see a lot of variations. I see at least three different forks, the type I have, one with a flat, shorter crown with a thin chrome cap, and a D shaped tubular fork
I also see three different chain rings, one reads DUNELT, another has sort of a snowflake pattern, and the three spire design like mine.
I see the chainring that's on mine on other Raleigh brands as well, (Hercules, Robin Hood, etc.).

I also see two types of BB oil ports, most have the port on the left side with a metal flip cap, mine is on the right, with a small plastic cap that's sort of hard to get too. I don't think I've ever run across one like this before.

What years used a second headbadge on the rear fender? The badge on the headtube is the same as the badge mounted directly on top of the rear fender with the same type of rivets.

The crank arms on this bike rounded on the edges, and I don't see the the Sir Raleigh logo. Sir Raleigh is also missing from the stem.

I do wish this was a taller frame, but I test rode a few 23" frames and they felt a tad big big to me, or at least harder to get on.
This is easy to get onto but short. I've already banged me knees on the handlebars.
My aging knees like a bike that lets me get better leg extension but my aging back and hips want a bike easier to get my leg over.
One of the 'parts' bikes is an unknown American three speed, also in a 21" frame but that bike sits taller, with almost two more inches of stand over height and for some reason fits me better. Too bad the bike is a rickety old pile of junk with a growling old Shimano 333 hub. It shifts but sounds like a machine shop when it turns. Its not rusty but that's all I can say about it. I thought it was going to donate a pair of almost new looking tires to the Dunelt but that bike has 590mm tires. If its rims weren't so lumped up and flat spotted I'd consider finding a 36h SA hub and using them for the Dunelt till I find something better but they're just too far gone and with the cost of spokes, its not worth it to build up a set of junk rims like that.
There's been a Hercules listed not too far from me for a month now for $250, I passed on looking at that bike because it was too small, but here I am considering building up one that's the same size that's in terrible condition. What concerns me is that I'll have more into this by the time I get it up and running properly then if I had just bought the too small Hercules in the first place, and still not have as nice of a bike in the end. The Hercules is likely 10 years newer and in near new condition.
I'm $80 into the Dunelt, but I sold the speedometer and cable today for $50, so that helps, so I've only got $30 into it in reality now.
I can buy new steel rims but they're Chinese or Taiwanese junk, and only 36h. Although I need two complete wheels anyhow, I sort of feel this needs a proper 32/40h wheelset, and finding a 40h AW hub is a lot easier than finding a 36h version, or a good English front hub to match in 36h.
I also don't mind losing the 597mm rims, there's just too few tire options out there, and none are good from what I've been reading. It looks like Kenda or nothing in new tires.

clubman 01-03-21 04:15 PM

There's many variations of most Sports because there were many different markets. And then there was the Raleigh takeover of 1960 to muck things up even more. Sure it could have had a chain guard. You'll never be able to positively identify the original specs of your bike and you shouldn't sweat some details. I bought a '59 SA hub on a bent frame Dunelt for the parts and it came with two different headbages, a Birmingham on the front and an England on the back. There was a very early prewar badge that had Smethwick on it. I'm sure I've seen late 60's Dunelts with decals instead of head badges that say Nottingham. Your bike has to be ~1960 because of the Raleigh rear stays coming off the back of the rear drops even with the axle. It's a Raleigh made frame. The other two types of forks were also Raleigh, but yours is Birmingham. Your crank is a generic Raleigh that they used for their 2nd tier marques.

I've bought and fixed bikes because I enjoy it. The value/return equation isn't that important even though I've never been truly flush. It's a hobby.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a27e6abf9.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...63d38c7398.jpg

JaccoW 01-03-21 05:38 PM

Just a fun little sticker I came across on Etsy today in the style of the old Sturmey Archer shifters.
Three speed camping sticker - Etsy

https://i.etsystatic.com/23003757/r/...38877_a1z7.jpg

There is also a matching Society of three speeds - Wordpress blog where they set out the "rules" for the three speed camping challenge if you're so inclined.

A bit hipster to my taste, but fun nonetheless. ;)

jamesj 01-03-21 08:03 PM

HaHaHa! adventurepdx runs the Society Of Three Speeds, he is here on the forums and makes those stickers.

Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 21860804)
Just a fun little sticker I came across on Etsy today in the style of the old Sturmey Archer shifters.
Three speed camping sticker - Etsy

https://i.etsystatic.com/23003757/r/...38877_a1z7.jpg

There is also a matching Society of three speeds - Wordpress blog where they set out the "rules" for the three speed camping challenge if you're so inclined.

A bit hipster to my taste, but fun nonetheless. ;)