Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

WhyFi 05-05-22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22496400)
One way to find the spot that needs a little tweak is to hold a sharpie in your hand and brace it against the frame or fork, spin the wheel and move the sharpie in towards the rotor until it draws on a high spot, or draws on all but a low spot. Don't forget to clean rotor with isopropyl alcohol before braking.

If I'm having a hard time seeing the high spot, I'll listen for it, instead. I'll spin the wheel and lightly depress the brake lever until it starts zinging and locate via relative wheel position. Then you just have to guess whether to tweak in or tweak out.

genejockey 05-05-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22496400)
One way to find the spot that needs a little tweak is to hold a sharpie in your hand and brace it against the frame or fork, spin the wheel and move the sharpie in towards the rotor until it draws on a high spot, or draws on all but a low spot. Don't forget to clean rotor with isopropyl alcohol before braking.

Or, with the bike in the workstand, look through the caliper from the front at an angle that allows you to see the gap, and turn the wheel till the gap disappears on one side. Stop the wheel and roll back and forth till you find the most extreme point, and draw a line on the rotor pointing to it.

datlas 05-05-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22496371)
You're in the south - you take two bottles.

Agree. But I know of one southerner who takes only one bottle.

WhyFi 05-05-22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22496559)

Since he says that he lives in the quasi-north, he must only be a semi-southerner and he's prolly only a semi-serious cyclist, so a certainly serious cyclist like yourself should take his advice with a grain of salt.

Mojo31 05-05-22 05:08 PM

He's a quasi-southerner, not a real one.

Plus, when you circle the office park, its easy to stop and refill.

ls01 05-05-22 05:44 PM

Our Canadian Southerner? That even looks strange written out.

LAJ 05-05-22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22496581)

Hand ups.

Bah Humbug 05-05-22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22496579)
Since he says that he lives in the quasi-north, he must only be a semi-southerner and he's prolly only a semi-serious cyclist, so a certainly serious cyclist like yourself should take his advice with a grain of salt.

No southerner takes just one bottle on a non-trivial ride in summer. Down here in summer the biggest problem is when you literally can't process water fast enough to replace sweat so there's no such thing as enough water.

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22496602)
Our Canadian Southerner? That even looks strange written out.

Reminds me of Due South...

Mojo31 05-05-22 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22496650)
No southerner takes just one bottle on a non-trivial ride in summer. Down here in summer the biggest problem is when you literally can't process water fast enough to replace sweat so there's no such thing as enough water.

Two bottles may last 25-30 miles, less as temps exceed 90. Doesn’t help being in a dry environment. Dehydration is a killer.

Mojo31 05-05-22 07:08 PM

Future PAOTD now that Porsche and Audi are joining F1.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dd83d3b0.jpeg

rjones28 05-05-22 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22495982)
I love the TR6, and have always wanted to have one. BRG, maroon or French Blue over tan rocks my boat. Not likely going to ever happen though.

When I was ready to buy my first car, I ordered a Triumph Spitfire as I could not afford the TR6. British Leyland went on strike, and the dealer could not get any cars. Since I needed a car for my commute to college, I had to cancel the order. Ended up with a Celica, which was probably a smarter move.

My dad bought a 10 year old TR-6 for me to drive, when I got my license. Taught myself to drive stick and had many adventures in that car.

big john 05-05-22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22496650)

When climbing in the heat there is no way for me to keep up with dehydration. Even if I drink what seems to be enough I will be 5 or 6 pounds lighter after a 65ish mile ride. During the 100 degree days when everything was closed I would start with a 70oz Camelbak and 2 large bottles. With that set-up I could fill up when I found water but I didn't have to worry about running out. A lot of faucets were turned off at parks, etc.

abshipp 05-05-22 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22496381)
Just picked up the Madone. New BB and now no creaking. I did one test ride up my steep drive way, will ride it more tomorrow if it doesn’t rain.

I looked at the rotor to try and see if I can bend it back, and I must be as dumb as I look. I can’t figure out where to straighten it.

With the china bars out of the question and not wanting to spend the ridiculous amount of money on carbon bars.

Im looking at the
Pro vibe aero alloy bars
Brontrager elit aero bars
Zipp service course Sl 80

I think the bontrager are the heaviest. 330 grams for the 42. I’ll prolly run 38-40 so that will be slightly lighter.

Truing rotors is something I still haven't figured out yet.

I like my SL-70 ergos a lot, especially the flatter tops when I'm climbing. My hands also seem to like the fairly low radius bend from the tops to the hoods.

Velo Vol 05-05-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22496341)
It got hot in a hurry and there are not many water options on the route I took.

It was a pleasant 81F in the valley. I mowed all afternoon and didn't sweat at all. :foo:

I forgot to pre-hydrate, though, so I was thirstly at my three-hour water break. Oops. :o

Velo Vol 05-05-22 08:35 PM

RIP pcad

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22496674)
Future PAOTD now that Porsche and Audi are joining F1.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dd83d3b0.jpeg

Marlboro livery??? :lol:

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22496751)

Dang, I watched the 7th and 8th at the bar while waiting for my to-go order of wings to be cooked. I should've just stayed there and ate my wings at the bar.

Velo Vol 05-05-22 08:48 PM

A quasi-southerner, a quasi-northerner. American, Canadian, a western East Coaster.

I am Everyman.

genejockey 05-05-22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22496682)
My dad bought a 10 year old TR-6 for me to drive, when I got my license. Taught myself to drive stick and had many adventures in that car.

One of my coworkers saw a French Blue TR6 in a neighbor's driveway, under a cover, for years. Finally, he asked his neighbor if he'd sell it to him. It turned out to be in okay condition - for a 50 year old English car. No rust, because California. Otherwise, it didn't take much to get it running. He's thinking of just fixing it up to run as is should, and everything working, rather than restore it. The paint is a little dull, but it would probably shine with a couple hours spent with Scratch-X and a bunch of applicator pads.

LesterOfPuppets 05-05-22 09:15 PM

At Norm MacDonald's memorial service they had cocktail napkins with his jokes on 'em.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FR3tYflU...name=4096x4096

phrantic09 05-06-22 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22496740)
Truing rotors is something I still haven't figured out yet.

I like my SL-70 ergos a lot, especially the flatter tops when I'm climbing. My hands also seem to like the fairly low radius bend from the tops to the hoods.

I have some brake rub now on my front bampilot06 jinxed me

ls01 05-06-22 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22496872)
I have some brake rub now on my front bampilot06 jinxed me

We're going to need a vaccine for brake rub,

datlas 05-06-22 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22496725)
When climbing in the heat there is no way for me to keep up with dehydration. Even if I drink what seems to be enough I will be 5 or 6 pounds lighter after a 65ish mile ride. During the 100 degree days when everything was closed I would start with a 70oz Camelbak and 2 large bottles. With that set-up I could fill up when I found water but I didn't have to worry about running out. A lot of faucets were turned off at parks, etc.

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a faucet or spigot, not only at parks but also at gas stations or even churches. My friends sometimes tease me about my faucet fetish, and to play along, I have started taking pics of any really good faucets or even well taps out in the boonies. I tell them some day I can publish a coffee table book entitled “Faucets of Chester County.” But as you know, dehydration is no joke.

datlas 05-06-22 04:03 AM

Here is one of my favorite spigots. Water is from a reasonably deep well, so it’s really cold. Location is Hibernia Park, Chester County.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fc5c18ea.jpeg