Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Extra security/lock when using hitch bike rack? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232594)

kosmo886 06-13-21 04:54 AM

Extra security/lock when using hitch bike rack?

Hi have the Thule Pro XT hitch bike rack. There is a small integrated lock. Not that I plan to leave my bike on the back unattended for long, but when I do, I'd like additional security. Does anyone have a specific lock they use for this? Ideally it would be a setup that could be driven with while not banging into the bike etc.

Mojo31 06-13-21 02:05 PM

Watch YouTube videos on how to steal a bike off the rack. Then implement countermeasures. Then, never leave it out of your sight.

Broctoon 06-13-21 02:21 PM

I have a regular bike security cable, pretty heavy duty. It’s the kind with loops built into each end. I wrap it through both bike frames, both wheels, and then down to the receiver hitch, where I lock it with a big padlock.

I have no illusions that this will stop a determined thug who comes with tools. But it will foil the casual thief just looking for a target of opportunity. It’s all about not leaving your bikes as low hanging fruit.

jaxgtr 06-13-21 03:01 PM

I have a Kryptonite U-Lock for when I was commuting. I use that along with the cable, loop it through the wheels and attack the lock through the receiver chain holes. Works like a champ for short term locking.

jpescatore 06-14-21 05:21 AM

To (a) keep the honest people honest and (b) convince the bike thief to go for the unlocked one in the parking lot, I add an old Kryptonite lock to the integrated cable lock on my Kuat trailer hitch rack whenever I have to risk leaving the bike(s) on the car out of sight or overnight - has worked so far.

blinky 06-15-21 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 22099825)
Hi have the Thule Pro XT hitch bike rack. There is a small integrated lock. Not that I plan to leave my bike on the back unattended for long, but when I do, I'd like additional security. Does anyone have a specific lock they use for this? Ideally it would be a setup that could be driven with while not banging into the bike etc.

I have the same rack and consider that lock to be bare minimum protection if leaving the bike(s) unseen in a public setting - but then again I bring our bikes into hotel rooms during an overnight stay - seems to me an amateur could cut through those locks pretty quick - if I anticipated having to leave them for some reason I'd consider something mentioned by others on this post .

ahmet sezgin 06-17-21 07:02 AM

bike rack

I will install a Topeak TA2047-B rear rack to Scott Sub Cross 10 bicycle. Just above-left of the derailleur hanger there are two screw holes. Screw hole that is above the other one is more projected. To which one should I install the leg of the rack?

blakcloud 06-19-21 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by kosmo886 (Post 22099825)

I think it is pretty hard to have both criteria met. I bring my Krypto Cable and Kryptonite U locks when walking away from the car but there isn't a hope in heck I would drive with a lock around my bike. Too much risk for damaging or wrecking the paint on any of my bikes. I certainly don't need the lock banging against anything for a six hour drive.

Fastfwd01 06-23-21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by jpescatore (Post 22101017)
To (a) keep the honest people honest and (b) convince the bike thief to go for the unlocked one in the parking lot, I add an old Kryptonite lock to the integrated cable lock on my Kuat trailer hitch rack whenever I have to risk leaving the bike(s) on the car out of sight or overnight - has worked so far.

Same here. That cable lock on the Kuat doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for me personally. If I am driving and needed a bathroom break at a gas station I take the chance that it keeps anyone from walking off with it too easily. Otherwise, I will use a Kryptonite chain and lock. I put one of those seat-belt lambskin type things on the chain to soften it up against the carbon frame. I wouldn't dare try to drive with it like that though.

tempocyclist 06-24-21 01:16 AM

A heavy duty plastic coated chain with lock, or a D-lock if it's compatible and fits over the frame/rack. Most hitch racks come with a cable lock that's fairly useless.

I never leave my bike out of sight when it's on the hitch though, I'm a little paranoid like that.