Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   (Compressive) Bike pants/trousers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1260841)

Frustrated 10-16-22 08:31 PM

(Compressive) Bike pants/trousers

Hi. I’m frustrated. Basically, trying to find a decent pair of cycle bottoms/pants (trousers) that fit me. I’m 6’-2” and weigh 170 pounds. Those stats seem to put me into either a “medium” or “small” depending on manufacturer. Ordered another pair online that I’ll need to return/exchange. This time, they are a bit too snug in the calf/ankles and being a “small” seem to pull down at the waist. Yet, around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while of riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash. Aside from starting to do extensive glute exercises and eating more to gain girth, figured I’d post/ask for some advice on other brands out there which I may not be aware of for better fit/sizing? e.g. maybe brands where the leggings are longer than others? Thanks for any name brand suggestions!

rumrunn6 10-20-22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Frustrated (Post 22681682)
around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while of riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash

not sure if this will help, but I use thin lined tri-shorts under my cycling pants & in summer, my MTB shorts, for moisture management. so I don't get chaffing, regardless of the outer garment

Frustrated 10-20-22 08:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I think my solution is just stick to bibs. For me, sometimes shorts/pants are better than a bib, but in the end, I think they are the way to go...

rumrunn6 10-21-22 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Frustrated (Post 22686303)
Thanks for the suggestion! I think my solution is just stick to bibs. For me, sometimes shorts/pants are better than a bib, but in the end, I think they are the way to go...

yeah, I gotta have cycling specific garments against my skin. only exception would be a bike & hike to a beach where I don't want to change in the bushes. altho I have done the latter, to get the best of both worlds

Trakhak 10-31-22 03:23 AM

Since I don't want to subject others to the sight of me in close-fitting cycling tights when I go into stores to shop, I wear looser-fitting smooth-finish or fleece winter pants. I use suspenders with padded stainless steel clasps with those pants to ensure a comfortable fit.

Hypno Toad 11-01-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frustrated (Post 22681682)
Hi. I’m frustrated. Basically, trying to find a decent pair of cycle bottoms/pants (trousers) that fit me. I’m 6’-2” and weigh 170 pounds. Those stats seem to put me into either a “medium” or “small” depending on manufacturer. Ordered another pair online that I’ll need to return/exchange. This time, they are a bit too snug in the calf/ankles and being a “small” seem to pull down at the waist. Yet, around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while of riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash. Aside from starting to do extensive glute exercises and eating more to gain girth, figured I’d post/ask for some advice on other brands out there which I may not be aware of for better fit/sizing? e.g. maybe brands where the leggings are longer than others? Thanks for any name brand suggestions!

I've got the opposite issue, I've got a lot of junk in the trunk. I need to get bottoms that are big enough for my butt and then too big for my waist (and tend to slip). I've got to winter bibs to help with this issue and that could help with your issue. I've got 45NRTH Naughtvind Bibs, they've been great (but big $$$), and as rumrunn6 suggested, ride with tri shorts or bibs under the pants. I've got a pair of Zoot tri shorts that are great to use as a base layer.