Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1265305)

gobicycling 12-29-22 01:30 PM

Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose?

Gain, lose, happy with weight?

MoAlpha 12-29-22 03:27 PM

I gained 10 lbs. this year with some effort. I needed them and suspect my body composition is leaner too, although I don't have numbers. I expect to gain another three or so before my weight starts dropping again in the Spring with riding and sailing.

Eric F 12-29-22 04:17 PM

After a significant weight loss a couple of years ago, my weight trended up almost 10 lbs. Over the last few months, I've not only returned to my previous low weight, but have trimmed another 5 lbs. I would like to maintain where I'm at now.

gobicycling 12-29-22 04:34 PM

Many, many years ago I was at 247, last year at 174 right now at 163 and I'm happy. I'll probably try to get to 160, but I don't really care. Went from a 38-40 waist to 33-34"

Polaris OBark 12-29-22 04:36 PM

I would like to lose 15 lbs, but I am worried about sarcopenia.

wolfchild 12-29-22 04:40 PM

6 feet tall and 156 pounds....Perfect, I am happy, I don't even keep track of calories.

DiabloScott 12-29-22 05:06 PM

My BMI is 25 - I'd like to be 22 - best ever was about 23.5.

MoAlpha 12-29-22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22752410)
I would like to lose 15 lbs, but I am worried about sarcopenia.

As you probably know, dogma is that you can do it without significant loss of lean mass if you combine calorie restriction with resistance training and positive nitrogen balance (that's a huge amount of protein for us old folks). Have you measure your body composition so you know where you stand now?

Polaris OBark 12-29-22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22752451)
As you probably know, dogma is that you can do it without significant loss of lean mass if you combine calorie restriction with resistance training and positive nitrogen balance (that's a huge amount of protein for us old folks). Have you measure your body composition so you know where you stand now?

Yeah, it is 100% amorphous whale blubber. With my luck, I would probably eat my way to kidney failure. I guess being vegetarian makes it more entertaining.

MoAlpha 12-29-22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22752461)
Yeah, it is 100% amorphous whale blubber. With my luck, I would probably eat my way to kidney failure. I guess being vegetarian makes it more entertaining.

Now, vegan would be tough, but, they say, doable. I figure I've replaced my entire, puny little, protein mass hundreds of times with with whey powder!

RB1-luvr 12-29-22 05:51 PM

I'm 58, 5'-9.5", 168 lbs. I'd like to get down to 160-163. I'm going to stop eating after 8 PM, and not eat until 11 AM. Hopefully that'll get me there within a couple weeks. I'd be ecstatic if I could get down to 158. Any lower than that and my wife will complain I'm too skinny.

jadmt 12-29-22 06:46 PM

I have dropped almost 40lbs since the end of july. probably have another 15-20lbs to lose. This was done strictly due to exercise not diet. I have continued over eating and consuming beer :)...

skidder 12-29-22 07:01 PM

I'm happy with it, my doctor is not. She wonders how I can get off the maxed-out treadmill in the neighboring cardiologists office and feel 'refreshed'. I tell her and the cardiologist I do work out (bicycling and stair climbing), but I think they either don't listen or they don't believe me. Yeah, I could benefit from losing a few pounds, but still hate the negativity when I go to their offices. I just leave, hop on my commuter bicycle and enjoy the 4-mile ride home. Maybe I need a new PCP doctor for 2023.

Bogey Speedwell 12-29-22 07:48 PM

Need to lose another 5+, I think, lol every time I check the internet to tell me where I’m supposed to be, it changes.

3/1/21 I weighed 285.5lbs, this morning I was 190.4lbs it’s been a long, but efficient process, my initial goal was 200 but about halfway through I saw someplace a 6’1” male top weight was supposed to be 185. Tonight I see charts showing either 182 or 202, but, I think 185 is still my goal.

rob214 12-29-22 08:06 PM

best case scenario is 30lbs over weight worst case 50 depending on who you talk to, I'm 5'8" at 215 the worst I"ve ever felt and due to health issues in the family this year I can't ride or go to the gym.

Inusuit 12-30-22 08:49 AM

I'm 78, 5' and 7 inches. Try to keep my weight +/- 150 pounds which is five more than I weighed in high school and before acquiring muscle from weight training. If I get to 152 or more, I cut back on beer and treats. Much easier to deal with a few extra pounds than with many.

Road Fan 12-30-22 08:52 PM

My BMI ATMO is about 28.5, which is about as low as I recall in recent years. In the past year it's been as high as 31. My Ironman scale shows when the BMI decreases the lean mass increases, so my body builds muscle in response to exercise, exactly what I want it to do.. I really just need to start by exploiting that mechanism regularly. My New Year's Resolution is to take on more physical work (indoor/outdoor pedaling, walks, maybe some weights. Mrs. Road Fan is an avid walker and I can go out on 5 milers with her, I just need to do it a lot more often.

For the indoor cycling I have a very decent road bike on the trainer, but I want a pair of thin, lightly padded longs to wear. With my Bourre shorts under, I should be toasty in our cave-like basement.

What does "lose e" mean?

Overall I'd like to lose about 40, that would get me to 160.

ofajen 12-30-22 10:11 PM

I’m happy. Little change in weight or build since the Carter administration.

Also, BMI is not very informative for fit athletes. It pretends to be a body fat metric, but is based on height and total weight. It makes no distinction between weight that is lean muscle or fat.

Otto

Hermes 12-30-22 10:55 PM

6’ 0” 170 pounds. I have hovered around this weight for the last 15 years. caloso this is my high school weight.

SpedFast 12-30-22 11:04 PM

At 73 I'm good with my weight. With all the riding I do it's sometimes hard to maintain it and I eat like a horse. But just a few days off the bike and it begins creeping up because my appetite always stays the same haha. My beer consumption has dropped off dramatically since retiring though.

DiabloScott 12-31-22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ofajen (Post 22753614)
Also, BMI is not very informative for fit athletes. It pretends to be a body fat metric, but is based on height and total weight.

Somebody always brings this up - fact is it's what doctors use for a quick cheap metric, it's a fine comparison for practically anybody who is not a bodybuilder or doesn't have a missing limb or something. It's completely appropriate for casual posting on internet forums. Outliers can pay for a scan or a dunk tank.

And the OP was about weight - not %bodyfat or %lean mass.

big john 12-31-22 12:41 PM

I'm relatively happy with being 200 pounds. I actually lost weight when I retired in 2019 when I thought I would gain. A lot less emotional eating, I guess.
The last few months my belly area is getting fat again. Jeans don't fit like they did. Too bad I have no discipline whatsoever and can't control my diet.

250ish in high school while lifting 10 hours per week. 175 @19 years old from starving due to lack of funds. 260ish later with massive drinking of beer. 205 and fit @33 years old until I crashed my bike and gained 35 pounds. 220 when I joined the road bike club in 1989.

stardognine 01-01-23 03:52 AM

I've been 6'2" & around 145-150 since I was 15. The most I ever weighed was 160, and that was from other people (motherly types, lol) trying to help fatten me up. At 61, I'd love to gain some, but it just isn't meant to be, I guess. 😒

John E 01-01-23 07:15 AM

I am where I have been for decades, 5'8" and averaging 147 lbs., just below my high school weight. Diet and exercise are the secret -- always have been.

jon c. 01-01-23 09:20 AM

I'm about 5' 7.5" and about 145. Roughly the same as when I was 20. I was over 200 at one point in my life. Got back to about 160 after a severe illness and stayed around there for many years. Then I started riding again and very quickly dropped 15 pounds or so. Which was odd as I'm a pretty casual rider and wasn't attempting to lose weight. Didn't seem like I was putting in nearly enough effort to burn a lot of calories. But I've been back in the saddle for about a decade now and have stayed at that weight so I'm perfectly happy with the unanticipated result.