Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What did I miss while on 'vacation'? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1262953)

cxwrench 11-09-22 03:46 PM

What did I miss while on 'vacation'?

What happened to the 'bicycle mechanics' section?

veganbikes 11-09-22 03:47 PM

Glad you are back, you didn't miss much, the usual craziness!

cxwrench 11-09-22 03:57 PM

I'm not seeing the mechanics section...am I somehow selectively banned from just that section?

veganbikes 11-09-22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22705984)
I'm not seeing the mechanics section...am I somehow selectively banned from just that section?

That could be the case it is still there "https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/"

datlas 11-09-22 04:28 PM

Welcome back.

Iride01 11-09-22 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22705962)
What did I miss while on 'vacation'?

A lot of people using the word "brifter"! <grin>

Koyote 11-09-22 04:34 PM

We missed you. But in your absence, I have been yelling at people who post repair questions in General Cycling.

Polaris OBark 11-09-22 04:37 PM

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/

What did you do to incur the wrath?

I doubt the forum software is sufficiently nuanced to ban you just from a sub-forum, but if there is a Hell, it might be one in which you were forever damned to answer mechanical inquiries wrongly posted to the General Cycling sub-forum.

cxwrench 11-09-22 06:10 PM

Apparently I'm still banned from that section. I got the vacation for being a dick nearly all the time. I'm 'toxic'.

70sSanO 11-09-22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22706021)

I hear there may be “Brifter” subforum. Posting Ergo and STI will get someone banned.

John

Iride01 11-09-22 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22706110)
I hear there may be “Brifter” subforum. Posting Ergo and STI will get someone banned.

John

I used the term dual control levers earlier today. I thought maybe that would be safe. <grin>

70sSanO 11-09-22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22706103)
Apparently I'm still banned from that section. I got the vacation for being a dick nearly all the time. I'm 'toxic'.

There is something to be said for consistency.

John

urbanknight 11-10-22 12:47 AM

Interesting. Even though I haven't always agreed with you, you never seemed to be a dick when debating with me. You're firm on your opinions but I don't recall you calling any names, using profanity, or doing anything else that would have been worthy of a timeout.

Polaris OBark 11-10-22 05:35 AM

Banning one of the most helpful and competent professional mechanics from the bike mechanics sub-forum is shooting themselves in both feet.

If you give them $12 a year, that is viewed as a contribution.

If you give them (and their paying 'customers' as well as us dirt-bags) many hours of your time and professional experience, including unvarnished truths not diluted with fake diplomacy, somehow that is regarded as problematic.

#Priorities

Polaris OBark 11-10-22 05:38 AM

Also, now if I need mechanical advice, I will feel compelled to post it into some other forum.

fishboat 11-10-22 06:36 AM

It's there, just like normal.

Unfortunate that apparently you've been censored from it..one of the best wrenches here on BF is excluded from an area where he's an expert.

Well..at least we still have insightful new threads like "I'm hunting for a new bike, what frame material is best?" or "what chain lube should I use?", or "do red socks make me faster?" to learn from.

dedhed 11-10-22 06:44 AM

Meh, some people need thicker skin.

Apparently some people don't recall user "sydney" (RIP) and his "style" dealing with "muppets"

Chuck M 11-10-22 06:56 AM

I got the vacation for being a dick nearly all the time.

Many people feel I am one at work but in nearly 38 years with the company, I have yet to parlay it into more vacation time.

Reflector Guy 11-10-22 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22706457)
Many people feel I am one at work but in nearly 38 years with the company, I have yet to parlay it into more vacation time.

37 years here..... I feel your pain!

seypat 11-10-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22706021)

Would the word "shakers" be any better? :D

smd4 11-10-22 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22705984)

I suppose the mods might be able to prevent you from posting in that section, but you should still be able to see it.

I'm 'toxic'.

Your knowledge notwithstanding, I agree with that assessment.

mstateglfr 11-10-22 08:41 AM

I hung out with Helen Keller, Ray Charles, and Stevie Wonder last night. They all said they saw this coming.

seypat 11-10-22 09:17 AM

Is your name Richard, or Britney? Could be Richard Britney, I guess.. Maybe cross bike mechanics are no longer allowed in that section. Who knows?

Polaris OBark 11-10-22 10:34 AM

The best scientists and bike mechanics are rarely feel-good back-slapping sycophants.

Sometimes honesty and sincerity really are more important and valuable traits.

BillyD 11-10-22 10:40 AM

Hi guys, first of all I must remind you that we never, EVER discuss the particulars of a disciplinary action in public. That is private information, even if only by the fact that it is delivered in a private message (PM). But that’s not what I’m going to do here. This is just an ideal opportunity to discuss some related forum norms here.

In reading through this thread we are actually surprised at what appears to be acceptance of rude behavior amongst many of you senior posters here. You clearly recognize it for what it is, rude and insulting behavior, and you find it ok. So this message apples to everybody.

Look, I get it, there is nothing like the camaraderie built up amongst guys in the locker room of athletic pursuits. BF is actually a virtual locker room where you senior guys can hang out and horse around and be the ruffians that testosterone tends to make us. All that is fine, I love it! Usually, in real locker rooms, it’s also typical to give the rookies or newbies a hard time, bust their chops, ostensibly to see if they deserve inclusion in the cherished group of regulars. But we can’t allow that here. These forums rely on a steady stream of new users to remain viable. We can’t have the senior guys beating up on the junior guys. These new guys didn’t come here with the expectation of getting roughed up, they came here either to join the club or they came here for information.

So maybe you guys need to keep the roughhousing to yourselves and treat our new guys with considerably more respect. That shouldn’t be difficult, you can view how many posts a user has right with his userID. It shouldn’t be difficult to be respectful to ANYONE, but it’s particularly harmful to be rude, nasty, or disrespectful to our newbies. I must admit, this is a particularly pet peeve of BillyD. I sort of see it as bullying, and I hate bullying. (Everybody has baggage, that’s just mine.) So please be nice to our newbies, they didn’t come here to get insulted or otherwise mistreated. You all had dumb questions when you were new in this game, be patient and let them fire theirs off. If you don’t like a “dumb question”, move on to a different thread. If you see a thread topic that is well worn, like "I'm hunting for a new bike, what frame material is best?" or "what chain lube should I use?", or "do red socks make me faster?", JUST MOVE ON, find another thread more to your liking. Don’t be a locker room bully, don’t be a dick. Be especially nice to our newbies. I’m afraid we must insist. :)