Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   What Would You Pay for a Nashbar Nekkid? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1241108)

RoadWearier 10-25-21 07:05 AM

What Would You Pay for a Nashbar Nekkid?

There's is one locally listed. He wants $150 for it.
it looks hardly used. Only upgrade is, oddly, a carbon seat post.

My city is somewhat hilly so I'm not even 100% a single speed is for me but I like the simplicity of it and much prefer road bike position and aero over a cruiser for sure.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b96bd0d63e.png

RoadWearier 10-25-21 07:15 AM

Ok. We are down to $125. Think I will pull the trigger.

TugaDude 10-25-21 07:39 AM

If the size of frame suits, I can't imagine a better deal out there. Looks to be in great shape. Let us know what you think after you see it.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by TugaDude (Post 22282391)
If the size of frame suits, I can't imagine a better deal out there. Looks to be in great shape. Let us know what you think after you see it.

Absolutely. This is my first single speed. I'm curious to see how I like having one gear. I live in Chattanooga. Downtown is in a valley which is fairly flat. I will be living at the top of a hill though. I'm curious to see how that works out.

I figure it's worth the gamble. It's basically the cost of a cheapish hybrid/mountain bike.

Rolla 10-25-21 08:32 AM

Keep in mind that you aren’t stuck with the gear combo that’s currently on the bike. The right cog and/or chainring can make almost any terrain do-able on a singlespeed. I live in a fairly hilly area, and have found that 39 x 17 can get me up just about any hill without sacrificing too much flatland speed.

Go talk to Russell and the gang at Cycleast on Main St., and see what they recommend.

TugaDude 10-25-21 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22282406)
Absolutely. This is my first single speed. I'm curious to see how I like having one gear. I live in Chattanooga. Downtown is in a valley which is fairly flat. I will be living at the top of a hill though. I'm curious to see how that works out.

I figure it's worth the gamble. It's basically the cost of a cheapish hybrid/mountain bike.

Take the bike to where it is flat and ride the heck out of it. Then, if you decide to keep it, which you likely will, take Rolla's advice and address the gearing. I'm sure you can find a "happy medium" and obtain a combo that works for your typical riding.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22282461)
Keep in mind that you aren’t stuck with the gear combo that’s currently on the bike. The right cog and/or chainring can make almost any terrain do-able on a singlespeed. I live in a fairly hilly area, and have found that 39 x 17 can get me up just about any hill without sacrificing too much flatland speed.

Go talk to Russell and the gang at Cycleast on Main St., and see what they recommend.

Thanks so much! I'm hoping to be able to hang with some of the slower 11-12 mph group rides with the local cycling club. You must be from Chatt?

Rolla 10-25-21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22282697)
You must be from Chatt?

No, I know Russell from Cycleast in Austin, before he opened the second location in the Noog. He’s a super good guy.

Dylansbob 10-25-21 11:19 AM

I'd try for $100, but that just me. Pretty sure those are loose-ball hubs, so you might want to do a quick repack.

Great thing about singlespeeds, so much less maintenance to keep up on.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 22282788)
I'd try for $100, but that just me. Pretty sure those are loose-ball hubs, so you might want to do a quick repack.

Great thing about singlespeeds, so much less maintenance to keep up on.

​​​​​​I can still back out. How hard is a "Quick repack?'. Do I need special tools? Also can I change cogs without buying a lot of tools?

Honestly if you don't think it's worth $125, I won't bother. Winters coming soon anyways.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 12:35 PM

There's a Wabi Classic that I can get for $280. Assuming no issues, should I get that instead?

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/d/chattanooga-wabi-classic-single-speed/7394066665.html

I know Wabi gets a lot of love here but is it worth that much more?

TugaDude 10-25-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22282926)
There's a Wabi Classic that I can get for $280. Assuming no issues, should I get that instead?

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/b...394066665.html

I know Wabi gets a lot of love here but is it worth that much more?

If it fits and is in comparable shape, that's a bargain on a Wabi.

edit: I saw the photos. Shame there aren't better pics. But there don't appear to be any major issues that I can see. I would address the paint loss on the seat and chain stays immediately though.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 02:03 PM

Seems like I misunderstood. Guy with the Wabi really won't go less than $275....is that better than the Nashbar?

He keeps saying the Wabi is worth $1200 but sht I can get a carbon fiber road bike and ride it around with one gear at that price.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 02:08 PM

I need to figure this out tonight.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by TugaDude (Post 22283010)

edit: I saw the photos. Shame there aren't better pics. But there don't appear to be any major issues that I can see. I would address the paint loss on the seat and chain stays immediately though.

What should I do about the paint? I can't decide which bike to get....yarrgh...damn first world problems!

RoadWearier 10-25-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by TugaDude (Post 22283010)

Sorry. Didn't see the first bit. Okay I'll go with the wabi

Weird that the Wabi at 55cm us the size I need

TugaDude 10-25-21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22283106)
Seems like I misunderstood. Guy with the Wabi really won't go less than $275....is that better than the Nashbar?

He keeps saying the Wabi is worth $1200 but sht I can get a carbon fiber road bike and ride it around with one gear at that price.

I assume he means to replace it as it sits with a new bike and components. A used Wabi won't be worth $1,200.00.

Edit: The Wabi website lists the 700c Wabi Classic as being $995.00 complete. The special purple one (sold out) lists at $1,170.00

TugaDude 10-25-21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22283122)
What should I do about the paint? I can't decide which bike to get....yarrgh...damn first world problems!

Remove the rust and use touch-up paint over primer. The goal is just to get close with the color but it is mainly to protect the frame material. Maybe one day you'll want to do a refinish? If it is in good shape and you like the fit, that might be a future goal.

RoadWearier 10-25-21 04:14 PM

Actually since I'm going to have to buy a rear brake and drop handlebars, that would put the Wabi at over $400.
I can get a 10 speed road bike for that much.

jack pot 10-25-21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22283289)
Actually since I'm going to have to buy a rear brake and drop handlebars, that would put the Wabi at over $400.:(
I'll get a 10 speed road bike .

...... say whaaaaat :roflmao2:

RoadWearier 10-25-21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jack pot (Post 22283460)
...... say whaaaaat :roflmao2:

Pot stirrer!

jack pot 10-25-21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoadWearier (Post 22283486)
Pot stirrer!

what else would you expect from a guy with a Wabi