Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

genejockey 11-03-21 12:53 PM

Speaking of which, I rode on Zwift last night, did an hour in "London", including going up Box Hill. I pushed reasonably hard, got a PR on Box Hill. Also briefly held the Green Jersey. Briefly as in, for a few minutes.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afb5746080.jpg

Still, it motivated me to push really hard on the sprint when it came around again, and I managed to do exactly the same time, with a higher average power. I'm guessing that I was going faster when I hit the start line the first time around.

After the ride, I found that both my bibs and my jersey were wringing wet. That's with two fans on high. I'm curious whether I sweat as much on the road and it just evaporates, or do I sweat less on the road. It wasn't terribly hot in the garage.

WhyFi 11-03-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22294323)
I just eat healthy food...

We've seen pics from the Donut Rides. :innocent:

MoAlpha 11-03-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22294329)
My record for cold riding is about 5F. I would not repeat that or recommend it.

That said, I am very happy riding in the 20’s if roads are dry and the sun is out.

Mine low about the same, but only for about 4 miles.

My hands and feet can’t tolerate anything much below freezing for more than an hour or so even with fancy gear.

BillyD 11-03-21 01:00 PM

Now here’s a typical example of undernourishment. For lunch today I had a sausage sandwich. Im topping that off with some yogurt followed by some pear sauce. Normally that would hold me till dinner. But if I want to gain a little weight maybe I should make it two sausage sandwiches, or maybe a half a chicken.

datlas 11-03-21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294473)
We've seen pics from the Donut Rides. :innocent:

On-the-ride/rest stops, anything goes. Especially donuts.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22294357)
must not be raining in your Dallas…….

Weather turned me off, heading to Mellow Johnies Now, wife gave me the okay to buy stuff, and then I plan on doing intervals and then a longer ride on zwift.

One thing I don’t get about zwift. I’ll keep an average speed of let’s say 18 but yet an hour later i’ve only gone like 12 miles. I know the last two days i’ve done a lot of climbing but it just seems off to me.

Also my load seems way off on intervals.

with that being said I don’t have a fan, so I have not been pushing it too much. I have the ac on 58 and I over heat relatively quickly.

Zwift has more hills than coastal VA. Looking at your London ride yesterday, Box Hill killed your average. You went up it three times, which is total of about 6 miles over 45 minutes - yeah, that's going to put a dent the average speed of a 2 hour ride.

BillyD 11-03-21 01:04 PM

Breakfast is the hardest meal to add variety. I had just a heaping bowl of oatmeal today complete with raisins, craisins, and fresh blueberries.

Totally lame, I know, but you can’t eat eggs every day, I had eggs and sausage with some buttered toast yesterday.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22294370)
No that's not it. I'm looking for suggestions to break out of old eating habits for awhile.

My question is how do *I* approach 2600 cals/day. We can't compare you and I activity-wise or metabolism-wise, you're 30 years younger than me. :lol:

What you can do is tell me what quality foods you're eating to achieve 3500 cals/day.

I'm within a couple percentage points of MoAlpha's kcal/kg/day, and he's an ol coot, too.

Didn't you say you were doing keto? If so, my macros are going to look significantly different and not applicable to what you're looking to achieve.

LesterOfPuppets 11-03-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22294485)
Breakfast is the hardest meal to add variety. I had just a heaping bowl of oatmeal today complete with raisins, craisins, and fresh blueberries.

Totally lame, I know, but you can’t eat eggs every day, I had eggs and sausage with some buttered toast yesterday.

Oatmeal day for me to. Raisins, craisins, walnuts, and almond milk. Had fresh pineapple and blueberries on the side. I've been on a fresh pineapple kick for so long now, a can of pineapple would be the very last can I opened if stranded on a desert Isle with a variety of canned food.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22294468)
Speaking of which, I rode on Zwift last night, did an hour in "London", including going up Box Hill. I pushed reasonably hard, got a PR on Box Hill. Also briefly held the Green Jersey. Briefly as in, for a few minutes.

Still, it motivated me to push really hard on the sprint when it came around again, and I managed to do exactly the same time, with a higher average power. I'm guessing that I was going faster when I hit the start line the first time around.

After the ride, I found that both my bibs and my jersey were wringing wet. That's with two fans on high. I'm curious whether I sweat as much on the road and it just evaporates, or do I sweat less on the road. It wasn't terribly hot in the garage.

They automatically put your avatar in green if you're at the top of the sprint leader board? That's fun. I think that I've tried spooling up for a Zwift sprint section once, then I noticed it was something stupid like a 400 yards and totally not in line with my effort.

Also, was this a categorized ride or anything like that? The few times I've paid attention to the course/climb/sprint leader boards, the podium has seemed pretty well out of reach.

I don't wear a shirt on the trainer, but I'm the same - very sweaty inside but typically dry(ish) outside. It's totally evaporation outside - on those hot, multi-bottle rides, it's not unusual for my dark jerseys to be visibly crusty by the time I get home.

indyfabz 11-03-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22294483)
On-the-ride/rest stops, anything goes. Especially donuts.

Two years in a row I had chicken fried steak and a biscuit with sausage gravy at some point during rides from Ione, WA to the Sandpoint, ID area. The rides were 100+ and 92, respectively. I could get away with that in my 30s.

indyfabz 11-03-21 01:27 PM

I had heritage flakes topped with fresh blueberries and blueberry kefir. Same for tomorrow.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:36 PM

Who says you can't have eggs every day? I love eggs - I have two (organic, free-range, vegetarian-fed, day spa-pampered) eggs and oatmeal for breakfast (almost) every day!

And what's with the oatmeal, sandwiches (with bread, presumably) and toast? I thought that you said you were on keto? Or are these some funky keto-friendly concoctions?

Velo Vol 11-03-21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294528)
Who says you can't have eggs every day

Doctors.

Eric F 11-03-21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294510)
They automatically put your avatar in green if you're at the top of the sprint leader board? That's fun. I think that I've tried spooling up for a Zwift sprint section once, then I noticed it was something stupid like a 400 yards and totally not in line with my effort.

As a timed sprint section approaches, a list of current leaders will pop up on the left side of the screen. You can get a good judge of its length by the times posted. A 15-20 sec effort, I know I can go all-in from line to line. If it's longer than that, I'm going to need to meter my effort.

Eric F 11-03-21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294466)
I ended up splitting my day with the ride - it was in the mid/high 30s and dry enough that it was enjoyable. Limiting myself to only riding outside at 45° or higher would drive me truly bonkers.

This is another confirmation why I will probably live in So Cal for the rest of my life.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22294539)
Doctors.

Eggs are healthy again. TTKU.

seedsbelize2 11-03-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294466)
I ended up splitting my day with the ride - it was in the mid/high 30s and dry enough that it was enjoyable. Limiting myself to only riding outside at 45° or higher would drive me truly bonkers.

I split my day with the ride too. I had to wait for the Amazon delivery. 86A and low humidity at the end.

WhyFi 11-03-21 01:56 PM

Speaking of Amazon deliveries...

Hey datlas - do you have a Danish dough whisk? Mine just arrived today and I'm unreasonably excited about it. Looking forward to upping my bread game.

bampilot06 11-03-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22294468)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afb5746080.jpg

whats the green jersey? I’ll prolly be on around 6 pm eastern time.

Had to order my mellow johnies jersey, they didn’t have anything in my size.

Get to go pick up a mountain bike tomorrow….:innocent:

bampilot06 11-03-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22294581)
whats the green jersey? I’ll prolly be on around 6 pm eastern time.

Had to order my mellow johnies jersey, they didn’t have anything in my size.

Get to go pick up a mountain bike tomorrow….:innocent:

way to read other post, before posting.

BillyD 11-03-21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294528)
Who says you can't have eggs every day? I love eggs - I have two (organic, free-range, vegetarian-fed, day spa-pampered) eggs and oatmeal for breakfast (almost) every day!

And what's with the oatmeal, sandwiches (with bread, presumably) and toast? I thought that you said you were on keto? Or are these some funky keto-friendly concoctions?

No, I WAS on keto briefly to reduce some blood sugar. Lost a little weight and now can't get it back with my pre-keto diet even after a month.

I love eggs too, had it virtually every day while ketoing,* but that gets old after awhile.

* new word alert. :innocent:

Velo Vol 11-03-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294550)
Eggs are healthy again. TTKU.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0bf68b03ec.png

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22294581)
I’ll prolly be on around 6 pm eastern time.

Are you keeping your watch/clocks on proper time? Kudos if so.

bampilot06 11-03-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294484)
Zwift has more hills than coastal VA. Looking at your London ride yesterday, Box Hill killed your average. You went up it three times, which is total of about 6 miles over 45 minutes - yeah, that's going to put a dent the average speed of a 2 hour ride.

correct, I said the last two days I did a lot of climbing.

Today isn’t going the way I envisioned. So I might do a short interval session followed by some cruising around low key. I want to avoid climbing today. I tried to get on again last night just to do zone 1 pedaling and my legs were like, No bro.

Box hill is an ass hole.

datlas 11-03-21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22294564)
Speaking of Amazon deliveries...

Hey datlas - do you have a Danish dough whisk? Mine just arrived today and I'm unreasonably excited about it. Looking forward to upping my bread game.

I don’t but will investigate. Slightly related, we got a new Cuisinart food processor today. Mrs datlas seems pleased.