Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Downhill cornering at the opposite lane??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251591)

couldwheels 05-12-22 02:28 AM

Downhill cornering at the opposite lane???

It happens at 3:58 of this video. Rider wearing blue jersey comes out at the right, and then crosses the opposite lane into the turn in a blind corner I might add.

It seems he went back to the centerline.... Looks dangerous. If another rider or motorist, crossed the centerline as he did, they can collide or end up falling as they try to dodge each other.

livedarklions 05-12-22 05:21 AM

I skipped to that point in the video and I can't tell if the guy moved across the line when he could actually see around the blind corner as he moved further to his left, but it's reasonable that he likely could. You aren't seeing it from his perspective which is changing as he enters the curve.

But yeah, rushing around a blind corner in the wrong lane without ascertaining whether the lane is clear is obviously stupid. I just think that it's not likely that's what we're seeing here. From the look of that route, someone doing that would probably be Darwined very quickly.

couldwheels 05-12-22 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22503610)
I skipped to that point in the video and I can't tell if the guy moved across the line when he could actually see around the blind corner as he moved further to his left, but it's reasonable that he likely could. You aren't seeing it from his perspective which is changing as he enters the curve.

But yeah, rushing around a blind corner in the wrong lane without ascertaining whether the lane is clear is obviously stupid. I just think that it's not likely that's what we're seeing here. From the look of that route, someone doing that would probably be Darwined very quickly.

Assuming, you can see around the blind corner in that position, would it be possibly safer? It does seem you have better visibility around the blind corner in that position. The only problem if someone goes blazing around that corner like a crazy rocket coming at you, you can see them but you'll have little time to react. I've often seen motorcyclists riding like suicidal maniacs do that. Less so from cagers.

And would you do it yourself?

I've been skipping around that video and didn't see for once GCN presenters Simon or Connor crossed into the opposite at any time. Let know if I missed it.

seypat 05-12-22 06:25 AM

Less so from cagers.
I'm thinking we might have a sock on the forums.

Chuck M 05-12-22 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22503656)

I've suspected something, but I'm waiting for a post asking how long paper spacers should last on a freewheel before I make up my mind.

Koyote 05-12-22 06:54 AM

I'm not sure why I would care about this.

livedarklions 05-12-22 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by couldwheels (Post 22503649)
Assuming, you can see around the blind corner in that position, would it be possibly safer? It does seem you have better visibility around the blind corner in that position. The only problem if someone goes blazing around that corner like a crazy rocket coming at you, you can see them but you'll have little time to react. I've often seen motorcyclists riding like suicidal maniacs do that. Less so from cagers.

And would you do it yourself?

I've been skipping around that video and didn't see for once GCN presenters Simon or Connor crossed into the opposite at any time. Let know if I missed it.

I think you missed the point. I suspect he could already see around the corner BEFORE he moved to that position. I'm not going to watch the video obsessively to figure out if anyone else took a corner that way, but it doesn't appear to me to be crazy.

I don't know if I would do it myself because I can't see it from the rider's perspective. If I can clearly see both lanes are empty, I might if it made the corner easier.

livedarklions 05-12-22 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22503656)

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22503676)
I've suspected something, but I'm waiting for a post asking how long paper spacers should last on a freewheel before I make up my mind.

It's definitely NOT that guy.

couldwheels 05-12-22 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22503704)
I think you missed the point. I suspect he could already see around the corner BEFORE he moved to that position. I'm not going to watch the video obsessively to figure out if anyone else took a corner that way, but it doesn't appear to me to be crazy.

I don't know if I would do it myself because I can't see it from the rider's perspective. If I can clearly see both lanes are empty, I might if it made the corner easier.

I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I rarely venture into sparse traffic roads in the mountains. The mountains I go to have enough traffic volume that nobody would dare ride the opposite lane.

downhillmaster 05-12-22 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22503706)
It's definitely NOT that guy.

:foo:

prj71 05-12-22 08:28 AM

So people actually watch videos so they can nit pick what bikers are allegedly doing wrong and then post it on a biking forum? WTF?

70sSanO 05-12-22 08:50 AM

Not that I watch too many videos, but I figured I’d go to the spot and waste a minute or two.

The link took me to a GCN video on climbing. That video was interesting and it is what I have found over the years, if you want to climb better/faster you climb more and try to climb quicker each time.

John

seypat 05-12-22 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by couldwheels (Post 22503752)
I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I rarely venture into sparse traffic roads in the mountains. The mountains I go to have enough traffic volume that nobody would dare ride the opposite lane.

Do you really want to take the chance? Look what happened to this guy. He starts making bad decisions. Gets the law on his tail and pays for it. Don't be that rider. You fight the law, and the law will win.

genejockey 05-12-22 09:12 AM

All this because a rider in the background in a video on CLIMBING makes a questionable choice on the descent? Welcome to Bike Forums!

indyfabz 05-12-22 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 22503762)
:foo:

IKR. As if a sock cannot change his style to avoid getting busted so quickly again.

tomato coupe 05-12-22 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22503778)
So people actually watch videos so they can nit pick what bikers are allegedly doing wrong and then post it on a biking forum? WTF?

Originally Posted by genejockey
All this because a rider in the background in a video on CLIMBING makes a questionable choice on the descent? Welcome to Bike Forums!

Later in the video, you can see a rider in the background cross chaining.

livedarklions 05-12-22 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22503863)
IKR. As if a sock cannot change his style to avoid getting busted so quickly again.

Style, substance, general lack of craziness. I'm absolutely certain this isn't the same guy.

And seriously, if he was going to go through all the trouble of changing his style (and the guy we're talking about couldn't manage that), why would he pick that screen name to cover the sock?

livedarklions 05-12-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by couldwheels (Post 22503752)

I really don't ride mountains ever, but I do have to pick a line often going downhill on winding country roads. I'm not suggesting that the guy in the video is using good technique, I haven't got a clue. I just don't think the video shows whether he's going around the corner blind in the way you're saying.

Something that happens on BF a lot is that people try to read too much into videos to judge other people's riding, forgetting that those videos don't really give you much information on the perspectives of people in those videos.

livedarklions 05-12-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22503910)
Later in the video, you can see a rider in the background cross chaining.

OK, that's funny!

couldwheels 05-12-22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22503826)
Do you really want to take the the chance? Look what happened to this guy. He starts making bad decisions. Gets the law on his tail and pays for it. Don't be that rider. You fight the law, and the law will win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNpJBzAyXk

When I'm going downhill, coming up to a right turn, blind corner. I move to the center of the lane, not the centerline and certainly not in the opposite lane because visibility is better than staying in the shoulder.

However, it doesn't offer me any means of "escape" or ample warning if a maniac coming from the opposite direction decides to take the opposite lane - my lane. If you're in a car, you'll probably survive the ensuing head-on collision. But on a bike, the chance of survival would be slim to none.

It would seem the only way to avoid such scenario is a way to see incoming traffic sooner. In some countries, they put large convex mirrors across blind corners. What if you don't have these mirrors? What alternatives are possible other than lucky bracelets.

SurferRosa 05-12-22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by couldwheels (Post 22503534)
... turn in a blind corner ... Looks dangerous.

Your perspective is from the camera that produced this video, not from the eyes of the rider in question.

​​​​​​I ride like that all the time.

livedarklions 05-12-22 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by couldwheels (Post 22503981)
When I'm going downhill, coming up to a right turn, blind corner. I move to the center of the lane, not the centerline and certainly not in the opposite lane because visibility is better than staying in the shoulder.

However, it doesn't offer me any means of "escape" or ample warning if a maniac coming from the opposite direction decides to take the opposite lane - my lane. If you're in a car, you'll probably survive the ensuing head-on collision. But on a bike, the chance of survival would be slim to none.

It would seem the only way to avoid such scenario is a way to see incoming traffic sooner. In some countries, they put large convex mirrors across blind corners. What if you don't have these mirrors? What alternatives are possible other than lucky bracelets.

What's the question here? Does anyone think it's a good idea to hop blindly into the opposite lane? Only a complete fool would recommend that because of the head-on issue. All I'm saying is I might drift over there after I have entered the curve, but only if I can see around it and no one's there. The guy in the video appears to me to be doing that, but the evidence is entirely too sketchy to merit further discussion.

Sorry, but I'd pull the plug on this thread. I don't see why we'd want to guess what this guy is actually doing.

tomato coupe 05-12-22 11:14 AM

Upon watching the video again, I recognized the guy that crossed the centerline -- Jax Teller.

Koyote 05-12-22 12:00 PM

I can't believe that some of you actually take this OP seriously. That only encourages him.

shelbyfv 05-12-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22503936)
... why would he pick that screen name to cover the sock?

I wouldn't rule it out just for that. Maybe a "catch me if you can" taunt? Think how long that other wheel rolled and how invested some of our masters were/are. Seems to be an accomplished pro.