Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   attempted break-in, any ideas about security cameras? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257935)

rumrunn6 09-02-22 07:53 AM

attempted break-in, any ideas about security cameras?

I let our local Police know & they asked if we had surveillance video. We don't. Any ideas about security cameras?

Iride01 09-02-22 08:53 AM

Any ideas about security cameras?
You should probably get some. Harbor Freight has a 8 channel security DVR that comes with 4 cameras for cheap. I have one and the video is very good. Added 4 other cameras I found elsewhere for a better price than HF sells additional CCTV cams.

I got the wired system as I'm use to running cabling in homes. So usually they are less expensive. If you don't get along well with technical computer setup, you probably need to get something more user friendly. It's a beast to set up correctly and use all the features it's capable of.

I have the doorbell cams too, front and back, but I'm less happy with them. Well placed CCTV cams can show a lot more.

Fendertele 09-02-22 09:11 AM

I have Arlo wireless. It’s easy to install and gives the option to place a camera on a tree if needed. I have the model that downloads to a jump drive on the base station; no monthly fees.

mdarnton 09-02-22 09:14 AM

I have a Ring wireless camera. While it does a good job of telling me what's going on over a wide field, I don't think the resolution is high enough to use for a wanted poster, which I think is important. Most of the cameras I've seen, if they cover a wide area don't have high enough resolution to be useful for identity. Probably something with a more limited width of field would be more useful.

ChrisWagner 09-02-22 11:33 AM

Surveillance systems can be a money pit trying to get exactly what you need. Research is crucial. If you are a DIY type, the IP Cam Talk forum offers some worthy insights. Using the knowledge found there I saved major bucks putting together a system with high-res night eyes. The project reminded me of my high fidelity sound equipment buying days.

TakingMyTime 09-02-22 05:03 PM

I may be stating the obvious but cameras are only going to record the crime. It would be best to harden your security. Always, and I mean always, keep everything closed and locked. You neighbor who said they were going to put the slider bar down... they should be doing that whenever the slider is closed. It's not doing any good sitting next to the door. Keep ALL windows closed and locked. You may think you're safe but someone who has the time is going to circumvent your entire property and look for the weakest link and exploit it.

Chuck M 09-02-22 05:32 PM

We have Ring at home. Doorbell camera, three stickup cameras and the alarm retrofit that uses existing hardwired sensors. I'm quite happy with it but as was mentioned above, the video quality could be a bit better but it isn't awful.

We own an office building just down the street from our home and I installed a SimpliSafe system there. The indoor video camera quality is much better than Ring IMHO. But the outdoor cameras aren't worth a nickel.

Overall I prefer the Ring system. But keep in mind these wireless systems require recharging batteries every so often and they don't record and store continuous activity like the ones Iride01 mentioned. They only record when motion is sensed.

tempocyclist 09-04-22 12:09 AM

I have six SWANN security cameras around my property (including in the garage).

You can set them up to record 24/7 or record by motion and heat activation, with night vision also. The also have built in sensor activated lights and a siren. You can customise the activation sensitivity, sensor zones, siren on/off times, and light modes.

The footage is recorded in full 4K quality to a hard drive "control station" and also uploaded instantly to the cloud. Easily good enough to record faces and number plates, day or night. Footage can be replayed or streamed live to my phone, plus you can set up alerts sent to your phone when anything is detected. It wasn't cheap, but I think it's worth the investment.

It's a "wired" setup so it did take a bit of time and effort to install neatly.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime (Post 22634182)
I may be stating the obvious but cameras are only going to record the crime.

^ Also this. Get your place locked down. Keep everything valuable out of sight and locked away when not in use.

​​​​​​​Get a big ass barky guard dog. 😁

Koyote 09-04-22 05:05 PM

If someone breaks into your shed and steals a couple bikes, it won’t matter that you have video footage. The cops don’t give a ****. That is petty crime to them. They’re just gonna file a report so you have something to send to your insurance company. Best solution is bigger locks and stronger doors.

ralphs 09-05-22 05:36 AM

We've been pretty happy with Wyze cameras. They're inexpensive, and easy to set up. I think the cameras were about $25 each. The cost was low enough for us to just try them out, now we have about four of them, plus the controllable plugs (great for Christmas tree) and a few of their LED light bulbs. We can view any of the cameras remotely, they notify if sound or movement is detected, and we can talk through the camera, but I suppose they all have these features.

rumrunn6 09-05-22 08:05 AM

I guess there's a benefit of keeping our back patio light on now. we get cool bugs like this praying mantis

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb355512ca.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6584b75657.jpg

rumrunn6 09-05-22 03:25 PM

experimenting w a Wyze v3 wireless outdoor camera

just tried to make 1 minor spelling edit & this whole post went haywire, ugh. deleted everything. wtf?

daaave 09-05-22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22636160)
If someone breaks into your shed and steals a couple bikes, it won’t matter that you have video footage. The cops don’t give a ****. That is petty crime to them. They’re just gonna file a report so you have something to send to your insurance company. Best solution is bigger locks and stronger doors.

I agree. Plus if you happen to see someone on the footage, good luck proving in a court of law who did it. Just because the thug looks like johnny switchblade, it can be hard to prove that.

What has worked for me in the past.....
Firearm practice. Many criminals are opportunistic with crime. If they hear you practicing with your handgun outside a couple times in the summer, they understand that their chances of getting shot just went up.

Random Security rounds (used to work in a prison). Sounds dumb, but i'll do a walk around the property once a day I have a mental check list of what is where. i will leave certain worthless items outside sometimes and memorize where i left them exactly just to see if it gets moved.

Make eye contact and say hi to all your neighbors or people walking by. Criminals will case houses during the day by walking by, driving by, biking by, walking their dog, or pretending to be a solicitor. Anytime anyone walks by my house and i'm outside, i make eye contact and say hello. Make a comment about one of their attributes, nice tat bruh, or hey i like your shoes, where'd ya get that jacket, whats your name, where ya from.. The criminal will write you off because you have now seen him. The more you know him, the less he will rob you.

Get in shape. Every criminal i know sizes up everyone they come in contact with. If you're some fat flabby dad bod cheeseburger body walking around, that's easy prey.

Bmach 09-05-22 08:38 PM

While a camera will record the event why not install some led solar lights with a motion detector? Light up the area like it is daylight when something trips the sensor. I think that might get someone’s attention.

rumrunn6 09-06-22 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 22637531)
While a camera will record the event why not install some led solar lights with a motion detector? Light up the area like it is daylight when something trips the sensor. I think that might get someone’s attention.

I can activate the motion-activated alarm if I want to

rumrunn6 09-09-22 06:59 AM

Well I have some partial good news. I can't explain the light my neighbor saw but I found out our Son stopped by the house & he moved the tarp to put a small fridge in our basement. We thought we was just going to bring a cpl boxes down the inside stairs.
still curious who our neighbor saw or thinks she saw at 2:20am. maybe it was a UFO?

Koyote 09-09-22 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22641318)
Well I have some partial good news. I can't explain the light my neighbor saw but I found out our Son stopped by the house & he moved the tarp to put a small fridge in our basement. We thought we was just going to bring a cpl boxes down the inside stairs.
still curious who our neighbor saw or thinks she saw at 2:20am. maybe it was a UFO?

Okay, so no one actually tried to break into your place, and some random headlights (or a late night dog walker's flashlight) shined into your neighbor's window.

All is well.

rumrunn6 09-10-22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22642091)
Okay, so no one actually tried to break into your place, and some random headlights (or a late night dog walker's flashlight) shined into your neighbor's window.All is well.

right, right. but I think I'll keep the new camera for now cuz, it's a new toy. thinking about setting up the 2nd cam focused on my cat's chair

rumrunn6 09-28-22 04:40 PM

well, turns out, we do have a neighbor w/ a flashlight. 12:15am nite before garbage day, innocent enough, taking their can out

mdo53 10-29-22 01:28 PM

Ring... indoor is great and outdoor is good in daytime

rumrunn6 11-11-22 01:00 PM

security cameras catch the funny things too
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e4e65e3d8e.jpg