Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Yikes, I知 in the 50+ group. How did I get here so quickly? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238104)

Amelio 09-05-21 09:12 AM

Yikes, I知 in the 50+ group. How did I get here so quickly?

How is everyone? I know they say age is only a number of but I知 57 and my kids make me feel ancient! At least I can still ride faster than them, going to enjoy it while it lasts! Feeling good, getting through this pandemic with lots of bike rides! Stay strong and ride on!

davester 09-05-21 01:40 PM

Don't sweat it. I'm posting in the 65+ thread.How the heck did that happen? I just got out of high school.

freeranger 09-05-21 02:02 PM

yep, 57 seems like yesterday, and it was ONLY 13 years ago. Feel much younger than my chronological age. A good friend (with a knee replacement) is 83 and still riding some hills I've seem people looking 30-40 yrs younger walk! It's mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!!

rsbob 09-05-21 02:27 PM

The comment I hear from others, and what I hear is, ‘you look far younger than your age’. I certainly feel younger than my age. Cycling does have its benefits. Age is just a number - until you hit 80, then it gets real. :)

Welcome to the ‘old’ persons forum.

MinnMan 09-06-21 05:53 PM

However fast your previous years seem to have passed, the ones coming up are going to go even faster.

Gravel Rider 09-06-21 06:01 PM

50 is like the new 20 or something.........

MinnMan 09-06-21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gravel Rider (Post 22218170)
50 is like the new 20 or something.........

Don't we all wish.

big john 09-06-21 08:41 PM

I wish I was 50. Of course, then I would have to go to work, and that would suck.

rsbob 09-06-21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22218159)
However fast your previous years seem to have passed, the ones coming up are going to go even faster.

So we do get faster as we get older!

MinnMan 09-06-21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22218452)
So we do get faster as we get older!

No, time is in the denominator. To travel more speedily, you'd want distance to pass more rapidly, not time.

OldRailfan 09-07-21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 22216336)
................................. I just got out of high school.

:D Really??

Sounds like you missed a few things along the way.:innocent: :innocent:

PeteHski 09-07-21 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22218159)

That's what my mother told me as a kid when a year seemed like a very long time. She appears to have been correct!

pdlamb 09-07-21 06:50 PM

Were you growing up in the 70s and 80s? It took you half a century to get here. Do you not remember it??

Hondo Gravel 09-15-21 09:37 PM

Yup I wake up in shock every morning when it hits me that I’m over 50 :eek: How I did I get here so fast? I decided not to worry about it there is nothing that can be done to stop aging. I roll with it still rock out and go to concerts and party but with wisdom a benefit for being over 50.

BobbyG 09-16-21 10:01 AM

Last night we were talking about this and a friend said, "The days go slow, but the years go fast."

Daniel4 09-16-21 12:20 PM

Earlier this year my son complained that I was too slow. I told him he was riding with a guy who is almost 60 years old. Now I'm 60. I never rode with my Dad. I just did 78kms the other day. It seemed like just yesterday when ten years ago, we were celebrating my 50th birthday. A lot has happened in those ten years including my early retirement halfway in between and my father's passing a few years after that.

BkSaGo 09-16-21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 22215973)
How is everyone? I know they say age is only a number of but I知 57 and my kids make me feel ancient! At least I can still ride faster than them, going to enjoy it while it lasts! Feeling good, getting through this pandemic with lots of bike rides! Stay strong and ride on!

You got here one year at a time, just like the rest of us :)
Turn 50 (13 years ago) was my motivation to start riding regularly again. I知 a low mileage/ low speed rider compared to most of the others around here, but it keeps me going and healthy.

downtube42 09-16-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22232795)
Earlier this year my son complained that I was too slow. I told him he was riding with a guy who is almost 60 years old. Now I'm 60. I never rode with my Dad. I just did 78kms the other day. It seemed like just yesterday when ten years ago, we were celebrating my 50th birthday. A lot has happened in those ten years including my early retirement halfway in between and my father's passing a few years after that.

My dad was a semi-pro baseball player before and after the war (II). He was old for a dad, so I have no recollection of him younger than late 40's. I don't recall him doing anything the least bit active during my lifetime, he just talked about his athletic days and watched baseball on TV. I don't even know if he ever learned to ride a bicycle. Never hiked, nothing. OTOH, lived to 99 years and 11 3/4 months, and was pretty health until the last year.

I've had so much living from 50 to 60. Wow, so many things. Got into 24 hour races, randonneuring. Did long brevets in France, Scandinavia, the US. Weeklong backpack trips. Had grandsons appear. Moved across the country.

And so much more to do.

OldRailfan 09-16-21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22232795)
Earlier this year my son complained that I was too slow. I told him he was riding with a guy who is almost 60 years old. Now I'm 60. ................................................

Get a Class 2 e-bike that allows you to ride at a "good speed". Got mine last Friday, this after I tried out my equal half's the week before. Riding on our rail trail, keeping to my steady speed (avg. 24+ km/h), I occasionally get passed by some of the gravel bikers and e-bikers when riding the analog bike.. Probably won't happen when I ride my e-bike. :lol:

Daniel4 09-17-21 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldRailfan (Post 22233231)
Get a Class 2 e-bike that allows you to ride at a "good speed". Got mine last Friday, this after I tried out my equal half's the week before. Riding on our rail trail, keeping to my steady speed (avg. 24+ km/h), I occasionally get passed by some of the gravel bikers and e-bikers when riding the analog bike.. Probably won't happen when I ride my e-bike. :lol:

My comfy speed is 15 km/hr. Don't like to push it in bike lanes and trails for all the pedestrians wandering around. I'm riding my 1979 10-speed Sekini. Either I'll or the Sekine will die before I give it for good.

OldRailfan 09-17-21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22234028)
My comfy speed is 15 km/hr. Don't like to push it in bike lanes and trails for all the pedestrians wandering around. I'm riding my 1979 10-speed Sekini. Either I'll or the Sekine will die before I give it for good.

OK, I hear you! :)

My routine is mostly in the 20 km/h and up region on the analog bike .... except on those killer hills around here. Some of them are steep (10-16%) and long, which means slowing down to 8 km/h. For me it's all about keeping up my cardio-vascular fitness to be able to hit the snow (XC) at a good speed come November.

rsbob 09-17-21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldRailfan (Post 22234243)
OK, I hear you! :)

My routine is mostly in the 20 km/h and up region on the analog bike .... except on those killer hills around here. Some of them are steep (10-16%) and long, which means slowing down to 8 km/h. For me it's all about keeping up my cardio-vascular fitness to be able to hit the snow (XC) at a good speed come November.

Good for you doing 16% climbs. Must be in amazing shape

OldRailfan 09-18-21 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22235158)
Good for you doing 16% climbs. Must be in amazing shape

Not bad for a guy my age, my size and my disposition. :)

BTW the 16% are just short sections of the longer climb, :50:

Gonzo Bob 09-18-21 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 22215973)

Congrats! You can now get one of these...
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f0c057a256.jpg

rsbob 09-18-21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldRailfan (Post 22235456)
Not bad for a guy my age, my size and my disposition. :)

BTW the 16% are just short sections of the longer climb, :50:

I don稚 worry about your strength, but your disposition - that痴 a separate issue. :D