Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need Recommendation: Cable Cutters (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1140272)

Zaskar 04-04-18 06:38 AM

Need Recommendation: Cable Cutters

For the bike-specific stuff, e.g. cassette removal, BB wrench, etc., I typically default to Park. But, for tools that have broader applications, e.g. torque wrenches, screw drivers, cutters, etc. I'm not sure Park is always the best bang for the buck. Well, unless you're going for a full-on blue-handle matchy thing ;-)

I'm looking for good cable housing cutters. I'm sure the Park tool is good. But, I'm wondering if there's a cutter out there that's as good or better for less than $35 (or better for the same or more $$$).

rjones28 04-04-18 06:52 AM

Not a fan of the Park cutter. We use Jagwire Pro cutters at the shop. Very durable. Clean cuts. Awl in the handle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....JL._SY355_.jpg

I use a Birzman cutter at home (replaced my Park cutter). Also makes clean cuts. Shaping tool in the head. Don't know about durability yet, but it's sturdy.

http://www.tririg.com/articles/2015_...s_Review_9.jpg

Dopefish905 04-04-18 07:13 AM

MY park tool cutter has served well over the years, no complaints, I’m not a park tool diehard either, I own other tools that work just as good as park tool for half the price. Don’t cheap on cable cutters though.

sdmc530 04-04-18 07:31 AM

I went to the box store and got one for $15. The price is cheap but the quality is not. Works like a champ and I only use it on cables. That is the key here, only use it on cables an it will last you forever! Save the money on this overpriced tool and get one at a box store. Then use the left over budgeted money to get another tool you might need.

2cam16 04-04-18 07:37 AM

I've been happy with the quality of this one from EBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kengine-CT-...item5688122bec
After almost two years and about 40 or so bikes, it's still doing a good job of pretty clean cuts.

Aubergine 04-04-18 08:55 AM

I have never had an issue with Park cutters on cables or shift housing. The only thing that could be improved is cutting brake housing. If anyone knows of a tool that can cut spiral-wound tubing without kinking the metal, I’d love to know about it.

redlude97 04-04-18 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aubergine (Post 20263790)
I have never had an issue with Park cutters on cables or shift housing. The only thing that could be improved is cutting brake housing. If anyone knows of a tool that can cut spiral-wound tubing without kinking the metal, I’d love to know about it.

I found the best way, regardless of the cutters, is to insert the cutters between the spirals, and cut through the coil last so it doesn't crimp into the liner. Then file the end smooth and square

Aubergine 04-04-18 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by redlude97 (Post 20263947)
I found the best way, regardless of the cutters, is to insert the cutters between the spirals, and cut through the coil last so it doesn't crimp into the liner. Then file the end smooth and square

Yep, that is what I do as well.

Zaskar 04-04-18 10:15 AM

To Aubergine's comment... how are the Kengine, Birzman and Jagwire cutters with brake housing?

79pmooney 04-04-18 10:15 AM

I have the Shimano cable cutters and use them for both wire and housings. Very good for the wire. I clean up housing cuts with a sharpened 14 ga/2mm spoke (known throughout Portland bike circles as "pokey tools". Sometimes I get fancy and further dress the cable ends with a file.

Workbench trick - staple 3" of cable housing to the bench. Stick your pokey tool in the housing. Always right there whenever you cut housing (and very useful for a lot of other things).

Ben

qcpmsame 04-04-18 10:22 AM

Pedro's cable cutters have served me well. They look similar to the Jagwire cutters above.

Bill

Racing Dan 04-04-18 10:29 AM

For outer cables I find a diamond wheel cutter on a Dremel is better than a cutter. Doesn't squeeze the housing. For the wire you can use any good side cutter.

noodle soup 04-04-18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Racing Dan (Post 20264003)
For outer cables I find a diamond wheel cutter on a Dremel is better than a cutter. Doesn't squeeze the housing.

I do the same thing for housings.

veganbikes 04-04-18 12:17 PM

I got the Jagwire cutters myself. I use their cables and housing on many of my bikes (actually probably all of them) as well as other stuff from them so it seemed logical to get a cutter from them. So far great quality and well made.

datlas 04-04-18 12:24 PM

I have the Performance "Spin Doctor" ones and they work fine.

I think it's hard to mess up cable cutters, so whatever you get will likely be adequate.

popeye 04-04-18 12:55 PM

For outer cables I find a diamond wheel cutter on a Dremel is better than a cutter. Doesn't squeeze the housing. For the wire you can use any good side cutter.

I use Felco which is very popular in yacht rigging but I prefer the results from a Dremel.

himespau 04-04-18 01:10 PM

I use a Park cutter for cables. I used to use it (followed by a ice pick to open any crushing and then a file) on the housing. Now that I have a good Dremel, that's what I use for housing.

Cue 04-04-18 02:17 PM

My preference is my wireless Makita angle grinder with a diamond cutter for housing. Clean uncompressed cuts.

For wire cable and housing if I'm too lazy to get my Makita angle grinder, my preference is the Knipex wire cutter (made in Germany), the best in the business, also has an awesome built-in crimper for your cable end. Park tool is overrated.

speedevil 04-05-18 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Knipex cutters for brake and shift housing/cables. They are expensive but the quality is exceptional. if you don't lose it or loan it out, you'll never need to replace them.

Hellgate 04-05-18 04:54 AM

Shimano SIS cutters. Mine have regular use and are about 30 years old. One of my favorite tools.

Never been a Park fan.

fietsbob 04-05-18 01:57 PM

Swiss, Felco cable cutters https://www.felco.com/

https://www.felco.com/us_en/our-prod...e-cutters.html

Aubergine 04-05-18 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20266903)

The C112 looks like just the thing for my home workshop.

wheelreason 04-05-18 07:42 PM

The Park cable cutter is ass, get the Pedro's.

cthenn 04-05-18 10:02 PM

Wait, if you are having difficulty with the value of Park tools for a cable cutter, why would you feel the need to own any Park tools? I'd be surprised if the overwhelming vast majority of tools don't have a non-Park equivalent, so why choose Park at all? In any case, I have owned a Performance bike cutter, and it was crap. I now have the Park version, and it's only moderately better. Cuts cables just fine, the housing...not so much.

Zaskar 04-06-18 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 20267725)
Wait, if you are having difficulty with the value of Park tools for a cable cutter, why would you feel the need to own any Park tools? I'd be surprised if the overwhelming vast majority of tools don't have a non-Park equivalent, so why choose Park at all? In any case, I have owned a Performance bike cutter, and it was crap. I now have the Park version, and it's only moderately better. Cuts cables just fine, the housing...not so much.

Park is a great bike tool company. No doubt. But, they're a tiny tool company compared to more general tool manufacturers. Take SnapOn for example. They make great tools and likely make/sell 100x the volume of Park. So, they'd be able to sell a screwdriver or hammer at or above the quality of Park's for less money and more margin - because of scale. SnapOn doesn't make a BB tool or a cassette removal tool. So, that's where Park (and other bike-specific tool companies) come in. I don't have difficulty with the value of Park tools. I just don't automatically assume they're the best option for every tool - when that tool is not bike-specific.

For example: Estwing and Park sell hammers for around $25. I've got to assume Estwing's is going to be the better value. But, Estwing doesn't sell a chain breaker. So, I own a Park chain breaker.