Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Velo Vol 11-29-21 10:28 PM

Tough night for West Coasters.

jaxgtr 11-29-21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22323920)
Plus, you can't go through self-checkout with a lot of stuff.

There are some slow cashiers (e.g., there's an 80-year-old one at area Walmart), but by and large your average cashier is going to be faster than your average customer.

My wife and I typically find we are getting in and out of the store faster using the self check out option when available. While the basket might not be over flowing, but it is not just a couple of items either. It is just the 2 of us, but we have a system where we group foods, cold, vegi's, dry goods, and then I scan, and she puts it into our reusable bags. We can typically get out in less than 10 mins, unloading to payment. We usually hit the store before they have enough lanes open, so this works for us.

LesterOfPuppets 11-29-21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22323885)
Use self check out and eliminate superfluous labor.

Nope. Always choose the lane with the cutest cashier.

Life improvement tip of the day.

LesterOfPuppets 11-29-21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22324122)

Sad season for the Seahawks.

LesterOfPuppets 11-29-21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22324134)
Sad season for the Seahawks.

Or maybe a mad season

datlas 11-30-21 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22324033)
It is? Even employees? I was in a very adversarial House Officers’ Association when I was a res and we nearly went on strike once.

I believe that employed physicians who have a supervisor are technically allowed to unionize. But it’s complicated and rarely happens, at least in the USA. And even unionized ones can’t strike because of laws against patient abandonment.

Velo Vol 11-30-21 04:59 AM

Good morning rjones28

wut is wrong with me that I can't sleep longer than five hours?

ls01 11-30-21 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22323839)
given the general crappiness of the gfx engine, I certainly don’t understand dropping $$ on a computer to run Zwift

so I'm in the middle of "upgrading"(?) To Apple TV, to run Zwift since my old lap top uses win 8. And now Zwift requires win 10 or better. I didn't want to spend the money on the new machine and start over with all the software b.s. that goes along with.
last night I got everything set up. I just need to set up my ITunes account. Which I need a computer running Win10 or better to do. Fml

ls01 11-30-21 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323878)
Yes.

Sadly, it’s illegal for physicians to unionize, or so I have been told.

Did your boss tell you that?

ls01 11-30-21 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323886)
In my case, the evil boss is me. Clearly, the boss is a jerk and needs to lighten up.

oh crap!, he heard that! Just act natural...:innocent:

indyfabz 11-30-21 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22324130)

I have a whole system of picking a cashier line to get in. That is one factor.

And at my local Whole Foods self checkout can also take longer. People line up like lemmings without first checking out how many people are in the manned lines and how many items they have. I’ve also come to recognize some of the faster cashiers.

Velo Vol 11-30-21 05:41 AM

The last few times I've been in Walmart they only had three or four proper checkout lines open. Good luck finding a "cute" cashier.

Velo Vol 11-30-21 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22321783)
Your booster might not work against Omicron. Just saying.

MoAlpha 11-30-21 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22324043)
Over what?

Money. We were about the lowest paid house staff in the country, working in an expensive city. I remember how happy I was when my pay went up to 29k.

These days I have a boss, but I get to decide what my job is, which is nice. I also like doing things that that no one else wants to do, like dirty administrative and executive jobs, so no one messes with me.

Mojo31 11-30-21 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22324224)
The last few times I've been in Walmart they only had three or four proper checkout lines open. Good luck finding a "cute" cashier.

Sounds like you need to upgrade your store choice.

Mojo31 11-30-21 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22324130)

Good rule to follow.

Mojo31 11-30-21 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22324095)
Saw one in white with black wheels today. Looked pretty sharp with one of the black MT plates. #itsthelittlethings

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...42e5fafc10.jpg

I have white, but had to have a particular wheel and the white brake calipers. Black plate would be a plus, but our are white/black so it doesn't clash.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c51f554a52.jpg
#itsthelittlethings

WhyFi 11-30-21 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22324219)
I have a whole system of picking a cashier line to get in. That is one factor.

And at my local Whole Foods self checkout can also take longer. People line up like lemmings without first checking out how many people are in the manned lines and how many items they have. I’ve also come to recognize some of the faster cashiers.

Not gonna lie, this is totally based on stereotype, but if I have a decent variety of veggies (which often don't have a label, let alone one that's scannable), the presence of an adult Asian female cashier will heavily weight my lane decision. Having been raised by an Asian woman, they know their veggies way, way better than any other cashiers that I'm likely to come across in the Upper Midwest.

seedsbelize2 11-30-21 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22323920)
Plus, you can't go through self-checkout with a lot of stuff.

There are some slow cashiers (e.g., there's an 80-year-old one at area Walmart), but by and large your average cashier is going to be faster than your average customer.

Not here. In the land of no hurry ever, except behind the wheel, the cashiers take it to the extreme.

seedsbelize2 11-30-21 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22324228)

The Moderna chief and I have the same glasses. Whodathunkit?

indyfabz 11-30-21 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22323866)
Our company gives you Administrative Leave for COVID vaccine side effects so you don't need to use sick leave.

That's nice. We actually no longer have sick time. It used to be that if you were ill for a day or had a medical appointment you simply let your department head know and that was that, as long as you didn't appear to be abusing it. (Long term injury/illness was dealt with differently.) Not any more. It's now called "paid time off." Absent exigent circumstances, you are supposed to get it approved ahead of time. I think the new regime believes people were abusing the previous system. When I passed out last year and had to take few weekdays days off after I got out of the hospital, no one batted an eye. "Take all the time you need." Same for the subsequent thumb surgery the following month. Doubt that would happen there days. I'd probably be forced to take FMLA leave, which is unpaid.

rjones28 11-30-21 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22324251)
I have white, but had to have a particular wheel and the white brake calipers. Black plate would be a plus, but our are white/black so it doesn't clash.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c51f554a52.jpg
#itsthelittlethings

Saw a white Taycan parked (parallel parked, no less) on Main Street in Newark Delaware Saturday.

indyfabz 11-30-21 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22324257)
Not gonna lie, this is totally based on stereotype, but if I have a decent variety of veggies (which often don't have a label, let alone one that's scannable), the presence of an adult Asian female cashier will heavily weight my lane decision. Having been raised by an Asian woman, they know their veggies way, way better than any other cashiers that I'm likely to come across in the Upper Midwest.

Heh. I once had a cashier ask me what some vegetable was. Can't remember exactly, but it was something obvious, like a leek or beets.

What gets me grumbling in line is the able-bodied shopper who stands there while his/her groceries are being bagged for him. Last night, dude in front of me with a lot of items purchased three reusable bags. Cashier scanned the bags early in the process. Instead of bagging his own stuff, he stood there and watched her do it for him. I wanted to say out loud "How do you not realize that not only will bagging your groceries speed things up for others but yourself as well?" I have known the cashier for years. I said something when it was my turn. She laughed and basically said IKR.

WhyFi 11-30-21 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22324331)
Heh. I once had a cashier ask me what some vegetable was. Can't remember exactly, but it was something obvious, like a leek or beets.

Once, I had a trainee with an experienced cashier supervising. The trainee grabbed my head of lettuce and looked confused while looking back and forth between the head and their veg reference sheet. The supervising cashier was like, "okaaay - that's lettuce, right?"
"Yeah....?"
"Uh huh. And what color are the ends of the leaves?"
"....red, I guess?"
"Yeah. So what do you think that might be, on the list?"
"Red-leafed lettuce?"
"Yup, you got it."

:rolleyes:

MoAlpha 11-30-21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22324331)

What gets me grumbling in line is the able-bodied shopper who stands there while his/her groceries are being bagged for him. Last night, dude in front of me with a lot of items purchased three reusable bags. Cashier scanned the bags early in the process. Instead of bagging his own stuff, he stood there and watched her do it for him. I wanted to say out loud "How do you not realize that not only will bagging your groceries speed things up for others but yourself as well?" I have known the cashier for years. I said something when it was my turn. She laughed and basically said IKR.

At military commissaries there are baggers who work for tips and a bank line, so you don't usually get to pick your lane. When I can pick, I go for the best bagger.