Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

genejockey 07-26-20 08:23 PM

I feel fortunate that all I had to deal with was some jasper in a pickup shouting "**** YOU!" at all of us cyclists. It didn't fully register till he passed, mostly due to dopplering.

One time I found myself in the middle of a charity ride, and a passenger in a pickup* was doing the same thing. So as he passed, I gave him a friendly wave and yelled "Hi!", which I think made him mad because I could see him pounding the roof of the cab.

*Why is it always pickups? I know lots of nice people who own/drive pickups, but I've yet to be FU'd by a Prius.

Velo Vol 07-26-20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21608784)
*Why is it always pickups? I know lots of nice people who own/drive pickups, but I've yet to be FU'd by a Prius.

You should try riding here. LOL

LesterOfPuppets 07-26-20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21608572)
BTW, I unintentionally misled you about the MLB at bat app for mobile. It is $29/year for all out of market games. This means you could watch every team but the Snakes. That is not such a bad thing...

We wouldn't mind missing all the Dbacks action. MLB is so weaselly about their pricing structure I'm just like No thanks, I'd rather not do business with you people.

rjones28 07-26-20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21608748)
Remember, we have the friendliest drivers in the country.

So he was coming over to greet you. Very friendly.

LAJ 07-26-20 08:34 PM

I find the blackouts on home teams disturbing.

LAJ 07-26-20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21608800)
So he was coming over to greet you. Very friendly.

Indeed.

Honestly, I may just send this to the police, and see what they have to say. So stupid. If I get involved in any manner, it may mess up whatever case there may be. That was a little too malicious for my taste.

genejockey 07-26-20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21608793)
You should try riding here. LOL

Having grown up in the "Alabama in the middle" part of Pennsylvania, that's a hard pass.

Velo Vol 07-26-20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21608809)
Having grown up in the "Alabama in the middle" part of Pennsylvania, that's a hard pass.

There's a lot of courteous drivers, and the vast majority of cars are OK. But the real stinkers do leave an impression. I never quite get used to the roar-bys of the suburban/rural assault vehicles.

DougRNS 07-26-20 09:03 PM

I feel fortunate that all I had to deal with was some jasper in a pickup shouting "**** YOU!" at all of us cyclists. It didn't fully register till he passed, mostly due to dopplering.

One time I found myself in the middle of a charity ride, and a passenger in a pickup* was doing the same thing. So as he passed, I gave him a friendly wave and yelled "Hi!", which I think made him mad because I could see him pounding the roof of the cab.

2,500,000 pickup trucks are sold every year and ~100,000 Priuses are sold per year.
Lots of pickups trucks on the road. It's simple math.

LAJ 07-26-20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21608839)
2,500,000 pickup trucks are sold every year and ~100,000 Priuses are sold per year.
Lots of pickups trucks on the road. It's simple math.

Mathing isn't always right.

big john 07-26-20 09:25 PM

When 4 of us toured across the US in 1990 people started doing that in eastern Kansas and Missouri. I'd be riding along on a quiet 2 lane road and a car coming the other way would cross the line and come toward me, sometimes pretending they were going to hit me, then at the last second pull back and scream or spit. Sometimes they would throw things. It was so common I told my 3 friends the schools must teach it there. It was always young white men and it really soured the whole experience for me.It happened in Kentucky, too and when we met locals in towns they could hardly believe us.

Velo Vol 07-26-20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21608854)
Mathing isn't always right.

Yeah, DougRNS

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21608863)
When 4 of us toured across the US in 1990 people started doing that in eastern Kansas and Missouri.

You rode across the continent? Which direction? How long did it take.

big john 07-26-20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21608872)

West to East. 3 of us went to Florence Oregon in a rental car and paid a guy to drive it back to LA. Picked up the fourth rider in Pocatello Idaho (long story) We stayed in motels and it took 6 weeks to get to Danville Kentucky which is where I quit. One of the guys had a cousin in Louisville and they drove to Danville to meet us and offered me a ride to their place so I could get a bus to see my friend in Arkansas. I was sick of the assaults on the road plus I had giardia. 3 of us had it starting in Wyoming.

It took 8 weeks for the 2 guys who went coast to coast.

genejockey 07-26-20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21608829)
There's a lot of courteous drivers, and the vast majority of cars are OK. But the real stinkers do leave an impression. I never quite get used to the roar-bys of the suburban/rural assault vehicles.

Works the same for drivers and bikes. I'm sure I barely register, since I don't blow stop signs and wait at red lights. But they'll always remember the bike they had to brake to avoid T-boning when he blew through a red light.

indyfabz 07-27-20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21608872)
Yeah, DougRNS

In '99 I did Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME, self contained in 93 days with a small group of people. Mostly camped. Two forays into Canada: Two nights in Alberta and two in Niagara Falls. After a few rest days in Bar Harbor I rode home to Philly over the next couple of weeks then on to Ocean City, NJ and back to Philly.

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21608680)
The guy that lives in a state with almost 12k lakes and crow-sized mosquitoes up the wazoo.

Fixed it for you.

Trsnrtr 07-27-20 05:53 AM

I had a guy in a new diesel pickup try to coal-roll me the other day but quit after a couple tries. Is it harder to belch black crap in a new diesel?

WhyFi 07-27-20 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21609101)
I had a guy in a new diesel pickup try to coal-roll me the other day but quit after a couple tries. Is it harder to belch black crap in a new diesel?

Maybe he isn't bright enough to know that you need to have it modified for proper coal rollin'?

phrantic09 07-27-20 06:14 AM

I’ve found it’s never the folks who use their pickup primarily for pickup type things(farming, construction, etc), but generally the pickup owners who just like driving a big truck that are the issue.

WhyFi 07-27-20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21609117)
I’ve found it’s never the folks who use their pickup primarily for pickup type things(farming, construction, etc), but generally the pickup owners who just like driving a big truck that are the issue.

That sounds about right IME, too.

bampilot06 07-27-20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21609120)
That sounds about right IME, too.

bigger the truck the bigger the sock size.

Bah Humbug 07-27-20 07:13 AM

Garmin is partly back up; apparently fully for some people.

Drizzly misty morning today, and slept so long and deep I’m still not really awake. Did a short ride to wake up but headed home still wet from riding through downfalling mist.

Bleh.

WhyFi 07-27-20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21609175)

Drizzly misty morning today, and slept so long and deep I’m still not really awake. Did a short ride to wake up but headed home still wet from riding through downfalling mist.

Bleh.

Bleh? This ride made you Legendary.

bampilot06 07-27-20 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21609175)

Bleh.

but your bike is clean.

seedsbelize 07-27-20 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21608829)

None of that on gravel. Those 4wd SUVs wouldn't think of going off road