Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Eric F 08-25-22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22623679)
I was going to mention the QR cam on the front brake being open, even though the pads look really close to the rims, but when you mentioned the cable routing - I can't even figure where the cables are routed? Where the hell is the RD cable going?

I think I'm most offended by the height of the chimney above the stem. Unsightly.

Mojo31 08-25-22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22623679)
I was going to mention the QR cam on the front brake being open, even though the pads look really close to the rims, but when you mentioned the cable routing - I can't even figure where the cables are routed? Where the hell is the RD cable going?

I'm struggling with the brake cables being run on top of the bars and then taped. More comfy when they are in front of the bars.

big john 08-25-22 04:35 PM

Had my oral surgery today. Wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, guy seemed to know what he was doing and he reassured me. I got the gas for the first time ever. It was not what I expected, either. Might have been fine without it but the last time I had a similar procedure I had general anesthesia. Novocain hasn't worn off yet.

Turns out my insurance does not cover it so I put it on the credit card. Frack. I had so much anxiety over this for the last couple weeks.

datlas 08-25-22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22623696)
I'm struggling with the brake cables being run on top of the bars and then taped. More comfy when they are in front of the bars.

Like at 3 o'clock? I like mine at 4:30-ish.

LesterOfPuppets 08-25-22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22623740)

Somewhere in there is where I like 'em. I'm not afraid to re-wrap to get 'em clocked just right on ungrooved bars.

LesterOfPuppets 08-25-22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22623739)
Had my oral surgery today. Wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, guy seemed to know what he was doing and he reassured me. I got the gas for the first time ever. It was not what I expected, either. Might have been fine without it but the last time I had a similar procedure I had general anesthesia. Novocain hasn't worn off yet.

Turns out my insurance does not cover it so I put it on the credit card. Frack. I had so much anxiety over this for the last couple weeks.

I'm due for a couple of crowns, and need to sit down to research coverage and crunch the numbers to decide about getting 'em done in Mexico.

datlas 08-25-22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22623743)
Somewhere in there is where I like 'em. I'm not afraid to re-wrap to get 'em clocked just right on ungrooved bars.

Yeah, it's kinda personal but I like mine so they fit right in the crease of my PIP joint (first finger joint after knuckles) when I am on the tops. Somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock.

Mojo31 08-25-22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22623740)

Somewhere in the 3 to 5 range. I don't grip tight, so exact spot is not critical. Don't want any weight or pressure on cables though.

Anxious to see difference with just one hose/cable per side.

big john 08-25-22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22623748)
I'm due for a couple of crowns, and need to sit down to research coverage and crunch the numbers to decide about getting 'em done in Mexico.

Might be cool if you could get a recommendation from someone. I've been to some crappy dentists and had to have things re-done later. Since I found the guy I normally use I don't trust anyone else. He doesn't do the thing I had today and all I had to go by was Yelp and some other review sites.

Mojo31 08-25-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22623743)

Taping before wrapping works for me to keep them in a good spot.

WhyFi 08-25-22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22623683)
But it gives one the illusion that you could!

I've never thought that. :foo:

Eric F 08-25-22 05:07 PM

Glad it went well for you.

WhyFi 08-25-22 05:09 PM

What's with you Johnny Lunchpails and the non-internally routed handlebars?

big john 08-25-22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22623782)
Glad it went well for you.

Thanks. It's still bleeding though. Frack again

Eric F 08-25-22 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22623784)

Bam's Ritchey in the pic doesn't have internal anything, as was typical of the era. That said, it's no excuse for poor cable routing and untrimmed steerer tubes.

Eric F 08-25-22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22623790)
Thanks. It's still bleeding though. Frack again

Stick sumpin in the hole.

- Not a Dentist

genejockey 08-25-22 05:19 PM

Bam will never post another cockpit pic. We're just a bunch of judgmental a-holes.

DougRNS 08-25-22 05:20 PM

Fire off a heat seeking signal flare. Problem solved. You're welcome.

DougRNS 08-25-22 05:22 PM

Good luck on the recovery. Hopefully you'll be out of sick bay in a jiffy.

rjones28 08-25-22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 22623503)
Thanks for the recs on the Varia, may be something I need to seriously consider, especially with integrated camera. I guess my thing is... as others have expressed, I'm never surprised by a car passing me, I always hear them approaching, and the radar seems to merely back that up. Given that it can't predict a last second swerve or a dangerously close approach path, is there any real advantage to it versus just being attentive? I can't glance back at every car to make sure they're not headed directly for my rear tire.

I've been thinking of adding one of these lately.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ace4d97b99.png

big john 08-25-22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22623802)
Good luck on the recovery. Hopefully you'll be out of sick bay in a jiffy.

Thanks, I've been hoping the same for you.

big john 08-25-22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22623803)
I've been thinking of adding one of these lately.

Me too. With my advancing decrepitude I can no longer look over my shoulder and get a good picture. I have to sit up and turn around.

DougRNS 08-25-22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22623798)
Fire off a heat seeking signal flare. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Or a scaled back version of this.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2ab8f15cbf.jpg

big john 08-25-22 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22623793)
Stick sumpin in the hole.

- Not a Dentist

They gave me gauze with instructions to repack every 30-40 minutes. Might have missed the mark on the last one. Starting to get pretty hungry now.:cry:

abshipp 08-25-22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22623784)

It's called "not wanting to hate working on your bike". ;)