Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

WhyFi 09-06-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638255)
Another issue with Zwift....the ability (or at least option) to talk to other riders in the group in real time is VERY helpful to the social aspect of the platform. I suspect it would be super simple for them to have a voice chat option/plugin. My friends and I use Discord which works fine, but I suspect Zwift could improve their "customer experience" drastically by making this available on the actual platform.

That would be cool, but I bet that this would be too much overhead if all of the users are on a single server (which I suspect they are); if you could do private group rides, I would think that would be easier and very welcome.

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-22 01:16 PM

How do you get the monkey back to the zoo?

Full rigid MTB obv.

WhyFi 09-06-22 01:31 PM

*ape
:notamused:

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638334)
*ape
:notamused:

I knew someone would grumble about that :)

rjones28 09-06-22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638182)
I wonder how other smart trainer manufacturers will view this. I'm kind of taking it as a sign that Zwift sees their platform as the unassailable leader in the market, which they may very well be.

More price reductions ahead. Will we have a market share battle?

WhyFi 09-06-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22638344)

:D

One of my old industry buddies names all of his speakers after apes (an influential family member is a primatologist and anthropologist) and I got in the habit of correcting the "monkey" names.

rjones28 09-06-22 01:52 PM

Sadly, the shop has some left-over trainer inventory. Including smart trainers. Current season MSRPs are about even with previous wholesale pricing.

ls01 09-06-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22637327)
You could start a thread in the 41 or General. People really seem to love discussing chain stuff.;)

No, just why waxng is not worth talking about.

WhyFi 09-06-22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22638352)
More price reductions ahead. Will we have a market share battle?

Yeah, I'm assuming that there was already enough typical market forces at play, but Zwift jumping in is like selling printers at low/no margin so that they can rake in the ink money. It just makes me wonder if the other manufacturers might grumble and start thinking of other ways to skin the cat.

rjones28 09-06-22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638367)
Yeah, I'm assuming that there was already enough typical market forces at play, but Zwift jumping in is like selling printers at low/no margin so that they can rake in the ink money. It just makes me wonder if the other manufacturers might grumble and start thinking of other ways to skin the cat.

Zwift are saying that the trainers aren't loss-leaders. I guess if you make a pennie a unit, it counts as a profit.

big john 09-06-22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638199)
In watching foodie shows and perusing cooking videos, I kept coming across mentions of chicken (or pork) adobo, a signature Filipino dish that I, as half Filipino, was ashamed to be unfamiliar with.

There is a Filipino club here and I have joined several of their supported rides. The food is legendary and there is always a huge pot of Adobo chicken at the finish along with all manner of home made treats. Adobo Velo.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...ZQ&oe=633DC7BF

WhyFi 09-06-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22638374)
There is a Filipino club here and I have joined several of their supported rides. The food is legendary and there is always a huge pot of Adobo chicken at the finish along with all manner of home made treats. Adobo Velo.

:thumb:

IIRC, Heathpack used to ride with a Filipino club fairly regularly, too. I'm not aware of a huge population in MN, though I'm starting to see Pinoy foods pop up here and there, in addition to the one market that's been around for forever on the other side of the metro.

big john 09-06-22 02:17 PM

Only 2 of us on the Tuesday ride, the other regulars are out of town. We took it easy with no big climbs, stopped for a bagel and finished at 11:00 when it was 98 degrees. One motorist stopped next to us at a light and advised us to be off the road before it got too hot. Told him we had it covered.

datlas 09-06-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638394)

IIRC, Heathpack used to ride with a Filipino club fairly regularly, too. I'm not aware of a huge population in MN, though I'm starting to see Pinoy foods pop up here and there, in addition to the one market that's been around for forever on the other side of the metro.

I think that's true. I wish our resident Addiction vet would pop in once in awhile, but times change and people change. I hope she is ok. I don't think I have seen anything on her Strava feed for awhile....

WhyFi 09-06-22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638414)
I don't think I have seen anything on her Strava feed for awhile....

Occasionally walking the wires, but that's about all that I can recall.

big john 09-06-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638394)

These guys would run 3 or 4 event type rides per year and our club was invited so about 10 or 12 members form our club would go. They only asked for a donation to cover expenses and it was limited to around 100 riders.
They had home made food at the lunch stop including hot soup on cold rides. They always take hundreds of pictures and post them for free.

Word got out and all kinds of people started showing up and not contributing so they made it members only. I never joined, I guess I should have.

They were always tough rides like this 10,000 foot century. That's umd in the white kit.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a96695c3f2.jpg

big john 09-06-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638414)
I think that's true. I wish our resident Addiction vet would pop in once in awhile, but times change and people change. I hope she is ok. I don't think I have seen anything on her Strava feed for awhile....

I used to see her on the road from time to time but haven't for a while. She got upset with me for mentioning it here.

genejockey 09-06-22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22638344)

Our ancestors spent many millennia getting rid of those tails, after all!

genejockey 09-06-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22638427)
These guys would run 3 or 4 event type rides per year and our club was invited so about 10 or 12 members form our club would go. They only asked for a donation to cover expenses and it was limited to around 100 riders.
They had home made food at the lunch stop including hot soup on cold rides. They always take hundreds of pictures and post them for free.

Word got out and all kinds of people started showing up and not contributing so they made it members only. I never joined, I guess I should have.

They were always tough rides like this 10,000 foot century. That's umd in the white kit.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a96695c3f2.jpg

Just at the moment, it seems impossible to believe it was ever, or ever will be cold enough to require dressing in all those layers.

Eric F 09-06-22 02:59 PM

Who's the weirdo with the not-black bike?...
https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x1536.jpg

genejockey 09-06-22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22638469)

Has the person with the Canyon Aeroad in the front complained about the creaking seatpost yet?

Mojo31 09-06-22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22638469)

Don't know. Kind of looks like a Walmart bike of some sort.

Eric F 09-06-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22638486)
Has the person with the Canyon Aeroad in the front complained about the creaking seatpost yet?

Not that I've heard, but I don't know everyone in this group well enough to field their bike complaints. Or, maybe his complaints were drowned out by the creaking of my bike (also the seatpost, I'm pretty sure)

Eric F 09-06-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22638503)
Don't know. Kind of looks like a Walmart bike of some sort.

It's probably plastic.

big john 09-06-22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22638459)
Just at the moment, it seems impossible to believe it was ever, or ever will be cold enough to require dressing in all those layers.

It might never be again. Those rides were in winter and one year there was ice on the road and a couple riders slid out.