Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Buying new vs Refurbishing - My Experience (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1252536)

Fidler 05-28-22 11:00 AM

Buying new vs Refurbishing - My Experience

I own a 2008 Kona Phd commuter which cost around $1690 back in the day. While it came with a pretty decent
component stack, not all the parts were equal, so I immediately switched to carbon stem, flat bar and seat post by
Oval – this made a startling improvement. Years passed without complaint. I only got this bike serviced 3 times
in 15 years but it still performs. Couple months ago, I took a spill and started to wonder if the frame was still safe
and so on.

Due to this I felt like I needed a new bike...so I was eyeballing a new Canyon Roadlite CF8, priced at about $2,099
+ UPS Cost. After a lot of research I compared the Canyon's body geometry to my Kona Phds and discovered that they
are basically identical. This was a pivotal moment for me.

So my choice was getting a new Canyon or junking the Kona (which, to me, was like ditching a faithful partner).
The way I figured, even the new Canyon CF8 has some parts that are nice and some not so nice. Which means I'd
end up upgrading there and spending a lot more than the sticker price.

So I decided to stick with my Kona Phd and change everything to the best parts I could find. Ultegra being the benchmark
for me to aspire to. Now, as you know, 10 speed triple crank action is kinda extinct and people speak disparagingly of it,
so I had my job cut out. But in 2-3 weeks, I assembled a stellar collection of top-shelf parts, all brand new -- some are rare,
some not so.

This is what I changed:

1. Campagnolo Zonda C17 Wheelset

2. Shimano Deore XT-BR780 Front & Rear V- Brake Set + Deore XT BL-T780 Left &

Right Brake Levers

3. Shimano Triple Ring Crankset FC-6703

4. Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 Cassette 12-30T

5. Shimano 105 RD-5701 10-Speed Rear Derailer (Medium Cage)

6. Shimano Ultegra FD-R773 Front Derailer

7. Shimano Ultegra SL-R770 Gear Shifter

8. Shimano Dura-Ace BC-9000 Brake Cable Housing + Alligator teflon coated inner cable

9. Shimano Dura-Ace OT-SP41 Derailer Cable + Housing

10. Shimano Ultegra CN-6701 10-Speed Chain

11. Ergon SMC Sport Gel Bike Saddle

12. SwissStop RXPlus GHPII Brake Cartridge

13. Canyon S13 VCLS Carbon Seat post

15. Chris King Dropset 4 Headset

16. C-Bear BSA-Road-C Bottom Bracket

The total damage for all these parts and labour has worked out to about $2,300 (almost $200 more
than the price of a brand new Canyon CF8!). Insanity! Some might say so, and I might agree at some
level, but there was nothing wrong with my Kona Phd frame and it seemed such a shame to just get
rid of it without even trying.

And when I ride the reincarnated Kona Phd, my insanity feels vindicated. it is a transformed creature.
Super smooth, silent, nimble and agile. Very happy I went this route.

Best part from a weight watcher's perspective: Canyon All-Carbon CF8: 8.82 kg...aluminum Kona Phd: 9.2 kg.

Rage 05-28-22 11:43 AM

Congrats! I’ve done the same thing a time or two and it’s always been worth it in the end.

Fidler 05-29-22 07:44 AM

One metric that has gone through the roof is comfort with a capital C.
Previous combo was Oval carbon coated seat post + Selle Italia Man X2 SE racing saddle.

The new combo of an Ergon SMC Men's Sport Gel saddle riding atop an all-carbon
S13 seat post from Canyon....like riding on a cloud....when I first get on the bike,
I sometimes think I've got a flat tire or something.

Clyde1820 05-29-22 01:57 PM

Assuming I've got a good frame+fork base and it's one that I know and like well, I'm generally for doing an update instead of buying new.

Have done that several times. I've never felt my cycling skills or how I push a bike warranted the latest, greatest thing, and so I've found perfectly good performance from bikes I've either had or acquired "on the cheap" but where I could turn it into something that'd work quite well.

Kudos on the update to your "old" ride. Sounds like it's a winner.

Fidler 05-29-22 11:00 PM

The only part I think I can upgrade in a few years might be the Zonda wheel set, but that's already a super light
1540 gms...the carbon ones Ive seen would shave off 100 gms at best. A 6700 rear derailer would help the bike shed another 100 gms.
But that's it really.

So looks like there may not be much to improve now. I'll be happy if I can stretch this upgrade out to about 10-15 years.
More than anyone could hope for.

Harhir 06-08-22 03:58 PM

I have not bought a new bike in almost 20 years. All my bikes are used bikes and I do service them all myself. One can save a lot of money with used older bikes and doing repairs and upgrades yourself. But I personally don't care too much for high end components or weight saving. I am a chunky clydesdale myself and saving a few 100 grams here and there on the bike is not worth it and would not make it any faster with me on it. :D
Plus I am fan of good old CrMo steel frames. I am not planning to buy a new bike anytime in the future but I am always happy to get a cheap used one from someone who replaced it with a new one. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Fidler 06-15-22 05:31 AM

I am seriously considering adding a new set of Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione wheels if they ever
come out with a new batch.