Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253603)

masonv45 06-16-22 01:00 PM

What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?

Was riding down a 2 lane - well maintained country roadway with little traffic. Straight for over a mile. A truck pulled up beside me and the driver told me I couldn't ride on that road. Why? Because it had no shoulder for me to go onto so vehicles could pass.

99% of the rideable roads around me have no shoulder...
:wtf:

Polaris OBark 06-16-22 01:02 PM

The "I pay taxes" entitled whine, with the implication that the (adult) cyclist doesn't.

Rolla 06-16-22 01:02 PM

When I was a bike commuter, I've had co-workers tell me, "I almost hit you this morning!" which was their way of saying, "I saw you on your bike."

mcours2006 06-16-22 01:08 PM

Numerous times I've been told I should be riding on the sidewalk.

livedarklions 06-16-22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22543970)
When I was a bike commuter, I've had co-workers tell me, "I almost hit you this morning!" which was their way of saying, "I saw you on your bike."

I've had a few times waiting at traffic lights where someone has rolled down their window while looking at me and my first reaction was "uh, oh, here it comes," Then they just want to chat about bikes, weather or whatever, very pleasant surprise. I also had a guy a few weeks ago essentially ask me for permission to pass me on my right where he was in the right turn lane and I was way over. I told him that's why I was where I was, and he actually thanked me. Things like that can almost renew my faith in Driverkind.

Iride01 06-16-22 01:12 PM

One told me I needed to learn how to ride a bike. He was from Texas or at least the tag on his car was. Texas tagged cars are in my top three for annoying and unsafe passing of me when I'm on the Natchez Trace Parkway near where I live.

Possibly he is correct, but the way I'm doing it has worked well for over 58 years of having a bicycle.

My apologies to all the Texas members here that cycle. But that is my experience when riding a bicycle on the roads here in my state.

livedarklions 06-16-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 22543979)

Last time someone yelled that at me, there wasn't a sidewalk!

Daniel4 06-16-22 02:23 PM

Well, he didn't tell me but the stupidest thing a motorist asked me was "What are you doing on the road?"

tomato coupe 06-16-22 02:38 PM

"Read Bike Forums"

indyfabz 06-16-22 03:27 PM

Heh. A few days ago, as I was descending to Island Pond, VT, on the correct (right) side of the road a passenger in a car called me a dipfeces for riding on the wrong side of the road.

indyfabz 06-16-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22544082)

"Read Bike Forums"

You listen well. :D

MattTheHat 06-16-22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22543983)
One told me I needed to learn how to ride a bike. He was from Texas or at least the tag on his car was. Texas tagged cars are in my top three for annoying and unsafe passing of me when I'm on the Natchez Trace Parkway near where I live.

Possibly he is correct, but the way I'm doing it has worked well for over 58 years of having a bicycle.

My apologies to all the Texas members here that cycle. But that is my experience when riding a bicycle on the roads here in my state.

I get passed courteously by many, many thousands of Texas vehicles every year. Mississippi vehicles, however... :lol:

tomato coupe 06-16-22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22544125)
You listen well. :D

I'm very impressionable.

indyfabz 06-16-22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22544135)
I'm very impressionable.

I’ll bet you adore the branding on your cable housings.

pdlamb 06-16-22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22543984)
Last time someone yelled that at me, there wasn't a sidewalk!

That's probably the stupidest thing I've experienced, as well. When someone has slowed down to holler that at me, I've been known to look very obviously at the side of the road and then, slowly, look back at them with a quizzical expression.

tkamd73 06-16-22 04:07 PM

I ‘ve never had a motorist tell me anything, of course maybe I just wasn’t listening.
Tim

base2 06-16-22 04:13 PM

While standing first in line in the turn lane at a stoplight on a 5 lane arterial, I had a driver once tell me: "You're on the wrong road!"
I responded: "No. I'm pretty sure I know where I am."
He yells: "We'll then, you're in the wrong lane!"
Me: "No. I'm pretty sure I want to turn left."
Driver just shakes his head & rolls up his window.

tomato coupe 06-16-22 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22544144)
I’ll bet you adore the branding on your cable housings.

No, I've got EPS disc, internally routed. I cry at night.

drlogik 06-16-22 04:45 PM

"Why don't you ride on the sidewalk?"

Well, because where I live riding a bike on the sidewalk is prohibited. Maybe if the motorist actually read the laws they would know.

I haven't had that in years though. Quite frankly, 99.5% of the drivers in my city are very courteous.

I generally see cyclists doing bad things on the road (running stop signs, red lights, cutting between cars, etc) more than motorists doing bad things to cyclists.

Steve B. 06-16-22 04:46 PM

Not stupid but funny, was out on a road ride and stopped at a light, a car pulled alongside my right side. I was wearing my bright yellow club jersey, the Long Island Bicycle Club, jersey only had multiple "LIBC" written on it. I also had 2 bananas sticking out of a rear pocket. Guy in car looks at the LIBC logos, then the bananas, and asks me "What, The Long Island Banana Club ?".

urbanknight 06-16-22 04:55 PM

Stupidest thing was a guy in a pick-up telling me I shouldn't ride during that time of day or in that direction (I was commuting from work) as he almost ran me over because he couldn't see me with the glare from the sun. He then pat me on the back and said, "I don't want to run you over", so I suggested he get some sunglasses or maybe not drive during that time of day or in that direction.

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22543970)

I had a coworker tell me she knew my favorite color was yellow. I said it's blue and asked why she thought it was yellow. She explained that all 3 times she saw me commuting to work I was wearing a yellow jersey. I said, "Oh, you mean please-don't-hit-me yellow?"

I respond "The side what?" and hope they respond with "WALK" so I can tell them no thanks, I'd rather ride.

Ghazmh 06-16-22 05:35 PM

Bicycles are for children.

DorkDisk 06-16-22 05:36 PM

"Get a job"

On my way home from work

UniChris 06-16-22 06:25 PM

"Beep"

Well, ok, it wasn't quite a word, but it was a sound.

Polaris OBark 06-16-22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 22544311)
"Beep"

Well, ok, it wasn't quite a word, but it was a sound.

I get that a lot, too, but there is no one around to beep out the original obsenity.