Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Velocivixen 03-13-16 12:21 PM

@mirfi - great little bike. I adore that green color. There are so many ways you can build it up. I think if I get another Twenty I'll try drum brakes to avoid having to deal with long, flexy brake arms.

There are two different 20" wheel sizes, the 406 and the 451. The 451 were common in the UK, but they made the smaller, BMX sized 406 wheels for the US. If you end up getting the larger wheels, you can use a Tektro R559 dual pivot brake caliper in the front. For the back you'd have to modify the plate where the brake attaches.

arex 03-13-16 04:39 PM

Wow...how long is that seatpost? Are you sure you're not past the minimum insertion mark?

I'm kind of in the same boat...my wife wants me to leave it as original as possible, but I worry a lot more about the steel rims and flexy brakes.


Originally Posted by mirfi (Post 18605635)
Hey All,

I'm excited, put an old seat and new seat post on, then took my 'new' R20 on it's first shopping run. About a 10 mile circuit I do on Saturday morning. First stop, DollarTree. Took bike in store, tried some baskets on, bought one and installed it on curb front of store. Then hit the sale at the Harborfreight and some other stores, with a filled basket had to go home.

Sad during the ride I rode off a curb and bent front fender. :-(

R20 performed very well, impressed with the range of the three speeds. Certainly capable of being a shopping bike.

Now is the scary part, I NEED a mirror, bottle holders, lights, bell, new pedals, but I WANT to upgrade the rims and brakes, etc

Also, I found a shop in the area that is geared towards vintage bikes. Baynesville. Gonna visit them this week.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=509367http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=509368http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=509369


mirfi 03-13-16 04:53 PM

Seatpost is 400mm, was about $22.

Wheels will stay as 406, I just have four bikes that are 406.

Mirfi

DQRider 03-13-16 05:21 PM

Some DL-1 Eye-Candy from My Ride this Morning
 
It didn't rain, like they said it would, and I'm glad of that. But I did have my Brooks' Rain Cover along, just in case. The old Raleigh Roadster is just perfect for these paths along the Mississippi; so smooth and lazy, it was an epic day out.

Ride with me...

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psfqoe2eli.png

[IMG]http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psyrfrq0cw.png[/IMG]

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psu2fikicq.png

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00sozjmj.png

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...pswo0wtyln.png

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psfcex1hhp.png

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...pswb1o2rob.png

Velocivixen 03-13-16 06:13 PM

@DQRider - don't you love those Brooks saddle rain covers? First time I used one the other day, unrolled it and saw that it had BROOKS on it in bold print. Might as well just say, "Steal me, I'm valuable"! I'd just as soon put an old plastic bag over it and not advertise that it's nice.
@arex - Have you done the brake cables & housings with new brake pads yet? I prefer Cane Creek "Grey Matter" - 4 pads for about $8. The material is softer, made for steel rims, not rubbery like the Kool Stops. I found Kool Stops (the little rectangular ones like for vintage bikes) squeal like crazy. Will she be riding in the rain or fast?

DQRider 03-13-16 08:35 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18606523)
@DQRider - don't you love those Brooks saddle rain covers? First time I used one the other day, unrolled it and saw that it had BROOKS on it in bold print. Might as well just say, "Steal me, I'm valuable"! I'd just as soon put an old plastic bag over it and not advertise that it's nice.

Well, hopefully the only time I'll have to use it is either under my butt while riding, or to protect the saddle while transporting on the back of my car. I certainly wouldn't lock up the bike out of my sight with that on it. I do have a plastic bag and twist-ties for just that reason.

Yeah, it would be hard for me to leave this bike unattended anywhere. Even locked, it still has that Carradice Barley bag on there, along with the headlamp and pump. And it only takes a crescent wrench to free the seatpost with my B67 on it. That's why I tend to eat at places where I can keep an eye on it. It's second nature, really, after riding a Ducati for several years.

arex 03-13-16 09:19 PM

That's a beautiful bike. What kind of grips are those?


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 18606814)
Well, hopefully the only time I'll have to use it is either under my butt while riding, or to protect the saddle while transporting on the back of my car. I certainly wouldn't lock up the bike out of my sight with that on it. I do have a plastic bag and twist-ties for just that reason.

Yeah, it would be hard for me to leave this bike unattended anywhere. Even locked, it still has that Carradice Barley bag on there, along with the headlamp and pump. And it only takes a crescent wrench to free the seatpost with my B67 on it. That's why I tend to eat at places where I can keep an eye on it. It's second nature, really, after riding a Ducati for several years.


arex 03-13-16 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18606523)
@arex - Have you done the brake cables & housings with new brake pads yet? I prefer Cane Creek "Grey Matter" - 4 pads for about $8. The material is softer, made for steel rims, not rubbery like the Kool Stops. I found Kool Stops (the little rectangular ones like for vintage bikes) squeal like crazy. Will she be riding in the rain or fast?

I'm still in the process of tearing the thing down and assessing it, and ordering parts as I go, as my back permits (yes, I jacked it up again a couple weeks ago). I was going to use Kool Stop salmon Continentals...good to know they're not good on steel, thank you. I honestly hadn't considered anything else. I'll get some CC's ordered right now. And no, she'll be riding neither fast nor wet. She hasn't been on a bike in 20 years, and between that and her own health issues, slow and easy are going to be the speed of things for a while.

thumpism 03-14-16 03:54 AM

Cheap Raleigh Tourist!!!

Old Bicycle

Old Bicycle - $60 (Richmond)

http://images.craigslist.org/00d0d_e...J5_600x450.jpg

old bike for sale in pretty decent condition. will need some fixing up first though with tires and some cables

Fidbloke 03-14-16 04:43 AM


Originally Posted by artclone (Post 18574228)
Super Newbe Raleigh Superbe Questions

I picked up a cute 5-68 hubbed Superbe and have some questions even after scouring this thread and Sheldon's site. Please help if you can.

1) Pronounced "Superb" or Super bee" (wouldn't mind knowing the Suntour pronounciation while I'm at it, hmm. )

2) No dynahub, light, or frame pump braze on. Was it normal to lack these? It does have fork lock.

3) What's the consensus on preserving this crusty paint as it (rusty but pretty solid and cool looking)? Super thick Wax? Motor oil? Linseed oil?

4) How much oil in hub? Coupla squirts a week?

5) Was a vinyl Brooks "mattress" seat standard in 68? 69? Or a B66? What color B66s on bikes that had them?



Thanks!

They would've called it a 'Superb' in the factory, so I'd go with that.

DQRider 03-14-16 07:32 AM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 18606901)
That's a beautiful bike. What kind of grips are those?

arex, the grips are Brooks' Plump Leather that I had to shorten to fit on these bars. That involved cutting the spokes that are used as a framework for them, and removing several of the leather discs, and then reassembling, of course. That was a nice job on a snowy Sunday morning. I have these grips on most of my bikes, because they are very nice to use bare-handed, and they are more robust than the various cork grips out there.

clubman 03-14-16 08:18 AM


Originally Posted by scale (Post 18605349)
Im back working on my '54 robin hood. I do believe my drive side crank is bent. I can feel it as i ride and i can see it if i look close while spinning the crank on the spindle. I hit my local used shop and nothing. It is a raleigh built robin hood with the NR chainring but i dont much care if it is the bird one or not. I have one more coop to check. Even most used shops dont have cottered stuff around here. I hit the one i thought would have more of a selection but nope.

Before replacing, mount another pedal to make sure it's not the culprit. I find it easier to feel bent pedals than crankarms. If it is the crankarm, post a pic and measurement and post a trade or buy post. And where you live?

Narhay 03-14-16 08:43 AM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 18606416)
It didn't rain, like they said it would, and I'm glad of that. But I did have my Brooks' Rain Cover along, just in case. The old Raleigh Roadster is just perfect for these paths along the Mississippi; so smooth and lazy, it was an epic day out.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psu2fikicq.png

This is a very nice shot. What sort of bag is that? I think I saw it before and liked everything about it except the price.

DQRider 03-14-16 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 18607720)
This is a very nice shot. What sort of bag is that? I think I saw it before and liked everything about it except the price.

Narhay, that is a Carradice Barley bag, and right you are about the price. I had to do some serious thinking about what I wanted vs. needed when I bought it, because the same store had the Zimbale (out of South Korea) equivalent for about half the price. But there was just enough difference in quality to sway me towards the pricier, "pukka" option. However, with the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour looming, I find myself wishing I had gone with the larger, long-flap version. But, I shall keep a stiff upper lip, and make do with this.

adventurepdx 03-14-16 10:13 AM


Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 18607720)
This is a very nice shot. What sort of bag is that? I think I saw it before and liked everything about it except the price.


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 18607746)
Narhay, that is a Carradice Barley bag, and right you are about the price. I had to do some serious thinking about what I wanted vs. needed when I bought it, because the same store had the Zimbale (out of South Korea) equivalent for about half the price. But there was just enough difference in quality to sway me towards the pricier, "pukka" option. However, with the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour looming, I find myself wishing I had gone with the larger, long-flap version. But, I shall keep a stiff upper lip, and make do with this.

While I agree that the price on Carradice bags aren't cheap, you get what you pay for. The Carradice bags are still well made (and hand made!) bags made in the UK. The lower priced bags are made elsewhere, and while that isn't necessarily bad, the quality isn't always as good. For example, you can get the Minnehaha/Banjo Bros bags that look the part, but the leather and canvas are thinner, meaning they aren't going to last.

And @DQRider yeah, going for a larger saddlebag is a good idea for Pepin! Or maybe get some Carradice panniers.

Salubrious 03-14-16 11:41 AM

So who all is on the Pepin ride this year?

I'm going. Not sorted which bikes to bring. But the Riva-Sport is on the road now, so its a contender.

MeadMan2 03-14-16 12:46 PM

I'm registered & will be riding my Armstrong frankenbike again, or as I like to call it, my resto-mod.

DQRider 03-14-16 01:19 PM

Lake Pepin Tour: Definitely Going - Need a Room-mate at the Big River Resort for $40
 

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 18608294)
So who all is on the Pepin ride this year?

I'm signed-up and ready to go. But I should use the opportunity to push this out there: I have a room reserved with two double beds at the Big River Resort in Wabasha, and I'm looking for someone to split the room and the cost. The room rate is $90, and I'll pay $50 of that, leaving my guest to pay $40. It looks like a nice, clean place; and I've heard good things about it. I just didn't want to end up spending too much on lodging.

scale 03-14-16 07:22 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 18607664)
Before replacing, mount another pedal to make sure it's not the culprit. I find it easier to feel bent pedals than crankarms. If it is the crankarm, post a pic and measurement and post a trade or buy post. And where you live?

Thanks. I thought of that as well and it is the crank. IF i put it on the spindle with no cotter and use it like bearing to spin it on i can see the wobble. How the heck you bend a cast arm is beyond me. The chainring itself looks flat. I just want to try another one. With what i have time wise and cleaning into this bike you would all think im insane but i refuse to give up. It will ride again.

arex 03-14-16 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by scale (Post 18609538)
Thanks. I thought of that as well and it is the crank. IF i put it on the spindle with no cotter and use it like bearing to spin it on i can see the wobble. How the heck you bend a cast arm is beyond me. The chainring itself looks flat. I just want to try another one. With what i have time wise and cleaning into this bike you would all think im insane but i refuse to give up. It will ride again.

A machine shop with a hydraulic press could probably straighten the bent crank arm without a problem, unless it's really badly tweaked.

clubman 03-14-16 07:33 PM


Originally Posted by scale (Post 18609538)
Thanks. I thought of that as well and it is the crank. IF i put it on the spindle with no cotter and use it like bearing to spin it on i can see the wobble. How the heck you bend a cast arm is beyond me. The chainring itself looks flat. I just want to try another one. With what i have time wise and cleaning into this bike you would all think im insane but i refuse to give up. It will ride again.

Yeah those cranks are soft steel but that way they're less inclined to snap. I've used hardwood blocks and deadblow mallets to straighten a few of them on a concrete floor. You can even take twist out of them with a vice and 16" adjustable, pretty cinchy. If you want a generic 6 1/2" Raleigh crank, I'm sure I've got one but no Robin Hood. You can have it for shipping but that is probably $25 to USA. Post a pic of your bike!

arex 03-14-16 07:42 PM

I just popped out the crank cotters on the Twenty, but it looks like I lightly boogered the threads on one of them. These are original, with the (R) nuts on them, so I'd like to reuse them if I can.

To that end, is there any good way to chase the threads to clean them up? I've never done it on threads this fine. What's the diameter and pitch of these threads?

gna 03-14-16 07:47 PM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18607197)
Cheap Raleigh Tourist!!!

Old Bicycle

Old Bicycle - $60 (Richmond)

http://images.craigslist.org/00d0d_e...J5_600x450.jpg

old bike for sale in pretty decent condition. will need some fixing up first though with tires and some cables

What cables?

I'd buy that now if was in Virginia.

scale 03-14-16 07:50 PM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 18609602)
What cables?

I'd buy that now if was in Virginia.

wow...thats a super good deal. Get after it someone!

gna 03-14-16 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 18609548)
A machine shop with a hydraulic press could probably straighten the bent crank arm without a problem, unless it's really badly tweaked.

I straightened one with a long piece of pipe.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.