Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

capnjonny 05-29-17 07:50 AM

farewell to the Raleigh sport

1 Attachment(s)
I said goodbye Saturday to the 78 root beer Raleigh Sport I recently refurbed for the Bike Exchange. It was another beautiful Garage queen that was donated to us last year.

The paint on it was almost perfect. I clear coated the fenders and chain guard with Rustoleum clear lacquer and it made them really pop.

Other mods included an new SA shifter and cable, new chain, Grips, brake cables and covers. tires, front Aluminum rim, pedals, and a Pletcher rack. The back chrome wheel was rusty and pitted so I removed all the rust and then clear coated the rim , taping off the sides where the brake pads rub so it will stop.

So Saturday an older gent came in with his wife looking for a bike for exercise. He loved the Raleigh but it was just too big for him. We got him on an old Giant city bike that fit him better. It was a gift at $110. plus tax.

Waiting in the wings was a beautiful young Asian woman who was in love with the Raleigh. It fit her perfectly.

I just had to tell her all about it and point out all the things that had been done. I felt like I was saying goodbye To a daughter as she went away to college.

She paid us $125. plus tax for the bike. A real steal of a deal. I am o/k with that though as I know she will cherish the old girl.

Cute Boy Horse 05-29-17 09:32 AM

UK-spec Superbe Dawn Tourist, wearing a Lepper Primus saddle. I need to replace the mudflap at some point or another, maybe get one of those dynoluxe batteries. Still got the fork key, and a pletcher rack that I don't think suits the colour.

https://s14.postimg.org/jxau8hiz5/superbe_RR_half.jpg
https://s23.postimg.org/4t51xzxjv/superbe_FR_half.jpg

I feel so bad for people with American-spec superbes. They're just sports but with fork locks!

noglider 05-29-17 12:37 PM

Nice work on the front wheel, [MENTION=355580]Velocivixen[/MENTION]. I haven't used that hub extensively. As I said, it needed a little breaking in before the brake worked optimally, and that's OK. The trouble now is that there is this abrasive sound, and I have to sand down the drum. The project is on hold for now. I plan to put emery paper or some such between the shoes and the drum and run the brake for a bit. This sounds bad, but I'm not sure it's an indictment on the hub. My biggest complaint is that it's really heavy, but that's the nature of drum brake hubs. Others have listed drum brakes' advantages, and they are true enough. New York's Citi Bike uses drum brake hubs, and it's the right choice for that application. And the Sturmey Archer front hub is also a work of art.

The two speed hub sounds cool. I end up using only two out of three speeds on a three speed bike since the gears are so far apart. It would be nice if the two speed saved a little weight, but I think it doesn't.

Salubrious 05-30-17 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse (Post 19617616)
UK-spec Superbe Dawn Tourist, wearing a Lepper Primus saddle. I need to replace the mudflap at some point or another, maybe get one of those dynoluxe batteries. Still got the fork key, and a pletcher rack that I don't think suits the colour.

https://s14.postimg.org/jxau8hiz5/superbe_RR_half.jpg
https://s23.postimg.org/4t51xzxjv/superbe_FR_half.jpg

I feel so bad for people with American-spec superbes. They're just sports but with fork locks!

-And a rack, Dynohub and lighting.

JohnDThompson 05-30-17 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse (Post 19617616)

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19619788)

And a Brooks B-66 saddle.

clubman 05-30-17 11:03 AM

And 3 point mudguard mounts, and Brooks saddles and colour matched prestube racks (pletscher ugh) and dual mudguard stays.

And sometimes chrome forks with lamp mounts, drop bars, EA1 wheelsets and SW hubs. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zy...=w746-h1017-no

Renngrrl 05-30-17 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
speaking of rear racks on 3 speeds, can anyone id this rear rack?

Attachment 565348Attachment 565349

Cute Boy Horse 05-30-17 04:28 PM

Aye, but these american "superbes" are fitted with the dynohub lighting set that was meant as an optional extra on bikes not normally equipped so. Superbes everywhere else got the Dyno-three gear hub.

Missing pump, no Dyno-three, no mudflap or gearcase, steel rack instead of brooks saddle bag, cable-brakes only, I imagine they were aiming more for recreational use and cost reducing it to death while they were at it?

More choice of colours though, I'll give you that much.

thumpism 05-30-17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Renngrrl (Post 19620108)

Judging by the look of the frame I'd say the rack is original to the bike, whatever the hell it is. Crazy bottom bracket junction!

clubman 05-30-17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Renngrrl (Post 19620108)

Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5267/...e57c6509_b.jpg

gster 05-30-17 07:52 PM

1972 Raleigh Sports Progress Report

1 Attachment(s)
This bike has gone to a new owner. A youngish (30) friend of the family. Sold for cost plus new parts. He pretty much beat his 3 speed CCM to death. Left it outside all winter, no maintenance etc. I've explained to him that unlike modern machines, that are somewhat disposable, a vintage British bicycle will last a lifetime (or two) with regular user attention and maintenance. I'm not sure if he was paying attention but I sure hope he was......
Attachment 565387

clubman 05-30-17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19620841)
Judging by the look of the frame I'd say the rack is original to the bike, whatever the hell it is. Crazy bottom bracket junction!

THats a Thompson style BB typically found on German and Austrian mid level bikes. so [MENTION=459640]Renngrrl[/MENTION], Germany may also be a source for your rack. There are gazillions of these, no hyperbole.

Cute Boy Horse 05-31-17 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19620897)
Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.

Yeah I think there's no chance to ID it on a specific model, ones just like it are sold under dozens of names here.

noglider 05-31-17 09:21 AM

[MENTION=185977]clubman[/MENTION], I think I remember seeing that style BB on Italian folding bikes, too. My mother had such a bike when I was a kid. It had a Torpedo three speed hub.

Does coating a bike with WD-40 serve as winter protection from someone who is going to leave a bike out all winter? Well it can't hurt, can it?

Cute Boy Horse 05-31-17 09:22 AM

No. WD40 won't do anything, first rain and it's gone.

Renngrrl 05-31-17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19620841)

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19620897)
Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.THats a Thompson style BB typically found on German and Austrian mid level bikes. so @Renngrrl, Germany may also be a source for your rack. There are gazillions of these, no hyperbole.

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse (Post 19621452)
Yeah I think there's no chance to ID it on a specific model, ones just like it are sold under dozens of names here.

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 19621989)
@clubman, I think I remember seeing that style BB on Italian folding bikes, too. My mother had such a bike when I was a kid. It had a Torpedo three speed hub.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I knew you folks would know.

A quick google image surf and I've found the racks. I love the bent tubes instead of hinged. Makes it look much more elegant. I hope a rack like this will attach using the existing bolt for the rear fender.

There was someone who was making a version of these for the tourists , a vendor named Red Barn, but repeated emails to him has proven fruitless. Now to find someone willing to part with 2 or three that will fit a 28" wheel or find someone local to bend tubes for me.

Salubrious 05-31-17 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse (Post 19620676)
Aye, but these american "superbes" are fitted with the dynohub lighting set that was meant as an optional extra on bikes not normally equipped so. Superbes everywhere else got the Dyno-three gear hub.

Missing pump, no Dyno-three, no mudflap or gearcase, steel rack instead of brooks saddle bag, cable-brakes only, I imagine they were aiming more for recreational use and cost reducing it to death while they were at it?

More choice of colours though, I'll give you that much.

My bike came with a pump. I still have it (although only as a memento- I replaced it with a newer unit). Are you saying that the Dynohub was an option on the Superbe in the US? I ask because it does not look that way in the catalogs. Personally I prefer the cable brakes although if set up properly the rod brakes are more powerful.

Cute Boy Horse 05-31-17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19622100)
My bike came with a pump. I still have it (although only as a memento- I replaced it with a newer unit). Are you saying that the Dynohub was an option on the Superbe in the US? I ask because it does not look that way in the catalogs. Personally I prefer the cable brakes although if set up properly the rod brakes are more powerful.

Nah I'm not saying that it was optional in the US, I'm saying that the US model is using parts that were optional extras everywhere else - on bikes that normally came with nothing. That's what the front wheel dynohub was marketed for, upgrades, and for bikes that had derailleurs.

Thinking about it, the USA "Superbe" seems to be the UK market Trent Tourist with extras added. Not a bad bike but doesn't have the imperialist battleship feeling of a proper Superbe.

mirfi 05-31-17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 19527928)
That light looks like an okay "to be seen" light. But I much rather have a "to see" light. Regular bike lights have gotten pretty good the last few years, and you can get a pretty bright (100 lumens) light that is USB rechargable for about $30.

Also, since that Harbor Freight light isn't designed for bikes, and the lantern bracket will mean it will point straight ahead, it may do more to annoy other oncoming cyclists and other road users than anything else...

Well, just had the chance to ride the bike at night and as you said it did point straight ahead, but was easy to adjust lower. But wow, really bright and illuminating. Granted, not as bright as my "Shark" light, but for a free light on my beater, it is impressive.

3speedslow 05-31-17 08:09 PM

[MENTION=459640]Renngrrl[/MENTION] I have a rack quite like the one you have. It came on an Austrian bike. It was attached to an esge plate on the seat stays. I will try and get a pic tomorrow. Might be the lead to find others in US.

BigChief 06-01-17 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't need another scorcher, but I hate not having a project going. So I'm hard at work trying to get this rusty late 60s Sports apart. This bike wasn't just left outside, it was left outside next to the ocean. Just about every bolt has to be sawed or drilled out. So far, the fork, BB parts and frame look good and oddly enough, the little plastic cover on the shifter was still in good condition. This is what's on my bench now. It's grinder, hack saw and drill time!

Attachment 565509

gster 06-01-17 05:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19623786)
I don't need another scorcher, but I hate not having a project going. So I'm hard at work trying to get this rusty late 60s Sports apart. This bike wasn't just left outside, it was left outside next to the ocean. Just about every bolt has to be sawed or drilled out. So far, the fork, BB parts and frame look good and oddly enough, the little plastic cover on the shifter was still in good condition. This is what's on my bench now. It's grinder, hack saw and drill time!

Attachment 565509

I'm with you BC. I too need to have an ongoing project.
I bought a $20.00 tall Glider frame on the w/e and have already pulled it apart. The chain ring and cranks have already migrated over to another project, 1961 Superbe.
Attachment 565510
the original heron ring with the stamped eye that has a slight curve on the crank.
Once repaired, it will return to it's original spot.
[ATTACH]Attachment 565512[/ATTACH]
Attachment 565515

BigChief 06-01-17 07:08 AM

That looks like a fun project. I see you got rod brake bars sitting there. Now I gotta know what you're up to. I've been hunting for a 23" Sports that's beyond preservation for a "like new" type restoration, but since the road test of my Rudge, I have no second thoughts about using a 21" for a scorcher type build. That SunLite touring stem worked out perfectly. Besides being long enough to get a good upper body to leg extension balance, it has a neck that gives an extra inch of reach over the Raleigh stem that fits me perfectly. It has a very different feel than a 23". Very fun ride.

clubman 06-01-17 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19622100)

Yes they came with different specs over the years. Some with full kit (except chaincase) and some with the bits as options. The import world was gray, not black and white.

nlerner 06-01-17 07:45 AM

Hmm, this thread, as usual, makes me itch for a new 3-speed project. I've seen lots of possibilities on Boston's CL lately, such as this 23" Sports or this one or this one. Those all look a little too clean and functional, however!