Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

Classtime 02-19-21 09:18 AM

Vittoria's site doesn't show them. Maybe someone found a misplaced container?

seedsbelize 02-23-21 03:12 PM

My tires are glued and mounted on the '79 Trek 930. Tomorrow I find out what the tubular ride is all about.

Classtime 02-23-21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21938292)
My tires are glued and mounted on the '79 Trek 930. Tomorrow I find out what the tubular ride is all about.

5-10% less psi is what it's about. (Plus the Cool factor)

Wildwood 02-23-21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21938292)

Pics of Yucatan Peninsula - or it didn't happen.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 05:26 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8b9f64344.jpg

seedsbelize 02-24-21 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 21938743)
5-10% less psi is what it's about. (Plus the Cool factor)

5-10% less than the recommended 110 psi? It would certainly make a difference on the chipseal.

Ferrouscious 02-24-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21940063)
5-10% less than the recommended 110 psi? It would certainly make a difference on the chipseal.

WAY lower than that.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21940069)
WAY lower than that.

Really. How low?
I did not know this. I knew it about clinchers.

Ferrouscious 02-24-21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21940109)
Really. How low?
I did not know this. I knew it about clinchers.

what width of tire? how heavy are you? how heavily do you ride (do you break components)? how hard do you corner?

myself as an example:
I ride 28s. I run about 70psi, but I can drop it down to 65psi. I'm a lightweight rider at only 140lbs. I raised the pressure just a touch because my steering went vague on a hard corner.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21940118)
what width of tire? how heavy are you? how heavily do you ride (do you break components)? how hard do you corner?

myself as an example:
I ride 28s. I run about 70psi, but I can drop it down to 65psi. I'm a lightweight rider at only 140lbs. I raised the pressure just a touch because my steering went vague on a hard corner.

22mm tires. I weigh 172. I ride like an old man on flat, dry, mostly chipseal roads. I don't corner. The only hills I ride are the very occasional overpass.

Ferrouscious 02-24-21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21940132)
22mm tires. I weigh 172. I ride like an old man on flat, dry, mostly chipseal roads. I don't corner. The only hills I ride are the very occasional overpass.

With tubulars, 90-95psi. Why did you decide on narrow tires? 25s or 28s would help immensely.

DiabloScott 02-24-21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21940159)
With tubulars, 90-95psi. Why did you decide on narrow tires? 25s or 28s would help immensely.

Yeah, narrow tires on lightweight rims were a racer thing from the 80's and before; that's why Brits call them "sprints". The magical ride quality we talk about in this thread comes from lower pressure and more volume.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 08:17 PM

I bought them from Yellow Jersey. Cheap. I didn't want to go all in in case I didn't like it. My spare is a Challenge Elite and is wider. My thought was to start out conservative and proceed into better tires after learning the ropes some.
Now I know what to look for down the road.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 08:23 PM

Tubulars is something I never thought I would do. Touring either. In the last couple years I've done both, because why not? I never thought I would do Campagnolo, but have Record hubs on these wheels. And Campy pedals. Considering going full Campy on one bike. Time passes and things change. We live and we learn.

seedsbelize 02-24-21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21940281)
Yeah, narrow tires on lightweight rims were a racer thing from the 80's and before; that's why Brits call them "sprints". The magical ride quality we talk about in this thread comes from lower pressure and more volume.

What are some modern tubular rims? Mine are Mavic Monthlery. The easiest wheels I've ever built.

smontanaro 02-24-21 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21940159)

In addition to personal preference and availability, I will add... I haven't started working on it yet, but the Univega Super Speciale frame I just got has pretty short chainstays, maybe 16.25" (I'll have to double check). I think most of my other bikes have somewhat longer stays, maybe 16.75"? I suspect that might limit tire size.

Classtime 02-24-21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21940063)

5-10% less than same size clinchers. For example: 90psi in my 25mm Sprinter Gatorskins vs. 100 in my 25mm Gatorskins.

Classtime 02-24-21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21940302)
What are some modern tubular rims? Mine are Mavic Monthlery. The easiest wheels I've ever built.

For our bikes, I think Ambrosio Nemesis is the go-to rim.

seedsbelize 02-25-21 06:36 AM

Thanks all.

seedsbelize 02-26-21 06:56 AM

Having terrible google fu, I'll ask here. Were I to swap my spare into a rider and a rider into a spare, would I want to add glue to the spare before mounting? It has two coats currently..I assume I'd need to glue the rim and the spare. Please advise. Thanks

Classtime 02-26-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21942259)
Having terrible google fu, I'll ask here. Were I to swap my spare into a rider and a rider into a spare, would I want to add glue to the spare before mounting? It has two coats currently..I assume I'd need to glue the rim and the spare. Please advise. Thanks

It depends.
If you recently put those two coats on, I'd say no. Maybe a thin coat on the rim if some of the glue came up with the tire you removed. When I have flatted soon after mounting a new tire, it is very difficult to remove my spare when I get around to patching and putting the rider back on.

DiabloScott 02-26-21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21942259)

No, do not even bring glue on your rides. Your spare should have a coat of glue on it - typically from previous use. And you should get it on straight and pump it up to high pressure to hold it on - and just to be sure, you should minimize braking on that wheel and take the turns gingerly until you can replace it properly... but you'll probably be surprised at how hard it is to get off when you do.

seedsbelize 02-26-21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21942859)
No, do not even bring glue on your rides. Your spare should have a coat of glue on it - typically from previous use. And you should get it on straight and pump it up to high pressure to hold it on - and just to be sure, you should minimize braking on that wheel and take the turns gingerly until you can replace it properly... but you'll probably be surprised at how hard it is to get off when you do.

I was speaking to changing it here in the shop. Putting the 25mm spare on in place of the rear 22mm tire. I did that this morning, and it came off easier than I expected. And the new one went on easily. I put a light coat on the rim, probably unnecessarily. I'm using Hutchinson glue; maybe it doesn't hold as tight as the others. But also, it was simply not on there very long. Maybe a week. My options are very limited here. Where I will get my next batch of glue is anybody's guess. The airlines tend to remove it from checked baggage. I have 1.5 tubes though, at present.

seedsbelize 02-27-21 09:50 AM

I'm thinking I must be a tubular savant. Every aspect I come in contact with is easier and more enjoyable than I expected.:-)

squirtdad 02-27-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21943943)
I'm thinking I must be a tubular savant. Every aspect I come in contact with is easier and more enjoyable than I expected.:-)

sshhhhhhssssh...... this is the big secret: they really are not that hard and from what I read in the mechanics section a ton less difficult than tubeless (i have no tubeless hands on experience) need to keep the mystique of tubies to the cognoscenti :)