Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

johnnyspaghetti 01-08-18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 20096788)
+1, it looks like it isn't even in far enough to be straight with the steerer tube. :twitchy:

I did observe that stem. I have talked this guy down to $50 due to the logistics but can't pull off transportation for a while seeing is I have to do this under the radar of the ruler (her) I'm pantsless.

johnnyspaghetti 01-08-18 03:02 AM

This is different. The chaincover mounts to the seatpost tube. It does have the metallic jockeywheel for the shifter

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...8704-local4&zwhttps://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...8704-local2&zw

markk900 01-08-18 06:13 AM

@browngw: always love pictures of your supercycle. I remember we all used to invert our handlebars to get the look you have on that one!

JaccoW 01-08-18 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rustymetal (Post 20096010)
I've only had one bike with drum brakes, a mid 60's Dunelt, the drums were very effective but very noisy, I changed the shoes once. The new shoes were grabby and hard to feather to a smooth stop but the rest of the mechanism was worn pretty bad. The whole bike had been well used long before I owned it. The new shoes didn't stop the extreme moaning noise they made when stopping. They would vibrate the whole bike. They sounded worse than any noisy caliper brake you could ever imagine.

Thanks for the feedback. That's similar to what I am feeling in mine. Probably a 70's model but even with the right levers it's noisy, shudders and not as effective as I remember on similar bikes.

I'll probably upgrade to modern 90mm models this year.

BigChief 01-08-18 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That gold Super Cycle and the gold Robin Hood are inspiring another scorcher build in my mind. So far, every frame I've ever painted was black. It takes me weeks, but eventually I can get a professional looking paint job. I think I might try my hand at a gold enamel and clear coat. I've been hunting for an overpainted or wrecked tall frame for a while now with no luck. But I do have this 21" frameset. I have it stripped now and it only had a light surface rust. It's perfectly usable. The 21" Rudge worked out fine so I might try the long Sunlite stem approach again. This time I'd braze a couple cable stops on the top tube before I painted for the dual pivot calipers.

Attachment 594866

browngw 01-08-18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20097128)
That gold Super Cycle and the gold Robin Hood are inspiring another scorcher build in my mind. So far, every frame I've ever painted was black. It takes me weeks, but eventually I can get a professional looking paint job. I think I might try my hand at a gold enamel and clear coat. I've been hunting for an overpainted or wrecked tall frame for a while now with no luck. But I do have this 21" frameset. I have it stripped now and it only had a light surface rust. It's perfectly usable. The 21" Rudge worked out fine so I might try the long Sunlite stem approach again. This time I'd braze a couple cable stops on the top tube before I painted for the dual pivot calipers.

Attachment 594866

I say "go for it"! Looks like a great project. I recently sprayed(Rattle Can) a '77 CCM in a metallic light blue. Although the paint was not super smooth, after a polish with compound the finish is acceptable. Another one will be saved.

browngw 01-08-18 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Continuing work on the '77DL1. Bars are now cleaned and polished as well as the 6 1/4" axle installed in the AW hub. Here are some of the shiny bits.

3speedslow 01-08-18 01:54 PM

Nice and shiny pile of bits!

SirMike1983 01-08-18 02:53 PM

Does anyone have a Raleigh DL-1 anti-vibration brake pad arm they'd be willing to part with/trade/sell? The part I'm looking for is the shaped, stamped piece that extends the rod brake pad off of the main rod brake assembly. It's the piece attached to the brake pad below. I have one but am missing the second from the Export Model I re-built. I've been riding it without them but would like to locate the missing one.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AmFna7k5I...od+stirrup.JPG

browngw 01-08-18 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the subject of frame painting. I did this 77 CCM Mixte with a liquidation store rattle can this fall and it came out spiffy after a compounding. If your frame needs paint or has little monetary value, it can be done. This can of Duplicolor cost me $3.99. The decal areas were taped off.

68sd 01-08-18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20097128)

Attachment 594866

if your looking for a gold that will look like the vintage 60s CCM /Supercycle colours , i restored 3 bikes last year with Duplicor Metalcast spray paint.I used a Duplicolor Metalspecks silver as a base and the Metalcast overtop.Its not the most durable ,so i shot it with clear ,but it looks just like the factory colours.There is a gold ,green ,purple,red and blue

BigChief 01-08-18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 20098068)
Does anyone have a Raleigh DL-1 anti-vibration brake pad arm they'd be willing to part with/trade/sell? The part I'm looking for is the shaped, stamped piece that extends the rod brake pad off of the main rod brake assembly. It's the piece attached to the brake pad below. I have one but am missing the second from the Export Model I re-built. I've been riding it without them but would like to locate the missing one.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AmFna7k5I...od+stirrup.JPG

Wow, another really hard to find part. The bolts on the pad holders aren't quite long enough to shim into position without the offset arms. Might catch a thread or two, but not confidence inspiring. And the offset arms do work well to smooth out the front brake. I'm surprised only Raleigh used them. There are some sellers in the UK that offer complete Raleigh style rod brake sets, but even they are rare. Most of the sets you find don't have the Raleigh type double arm bell cranks ( that pivot on both sides of the down tube lug) or the offset arms.
This guy has a Raleigh style set.

BigChief 01-08-18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 68sd (Post 20098266)
if your looking for a gold that will look like the vintage 60s CCM /Supercycle colours , i restored 3 bikes last year with Duplicor Metalcast spray paint.I used a Duplicolor Metalspecks silver as a base and the Metalcast overtop.Its not the most durable ,so i shot it with clear ,but it looks just like the factory colours.There is a gold ,green ,purple,red and blue

That may be a little out of my skill range, but that's never stopped me before. I'll look into that. Thanks

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 05:01 AM

This one is just another over priced piece.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...453053992.html

noglider 01-09-18 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20099039)

It's in very good condition. Around here (New York City), that's extremely underpriced.

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20099099)
It's in very good condition. Around here (New York City), that's extremely underpriced.

I need a trailer & hitch.

noglider 01-09-18 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20099130)
I need a trailer & hitch.

A few years ago, there was an article in the NY Times about how market prices vary. The author found that markets whose car prices are low have high bike prices. And vice versa. So in theory, you could buy a cheap bike in Phoenix (low bikes, high cars), ride it to Portland (OR) (high bikes, low cars), sell the bike there, buy a car cheap, and drive back to Phoenix, sell the car, and repeat.

adventurepdx 01-09-18 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20099039)

What @noglider said! That would be a good price here in Portland. And there's some pretty nice pros with this one:
  1. Looks to be an early 60's model
  2. Looks to be in good shape (though the photos aren't great)
  3. And looks to be ready to go, vs a $50 project bike
Of course, you could probably bargain with the seller a bit, esp. for misspelling Raleigh. :rolleyes:

(and if you look in photo 2, there looks to be maybe a red Raleigh in the background?)

27inch 01-09-18 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a three speed, but 5 on this one.
I picked this up with full intentions of swapping everything over to a men's frame but the thing rides so perfect the way it is I couldn't bring myself to part it out.
The bike rides and feels like a much larger frame size, I'm 6'01, and it fits me well. Ladies model or not its a fun bike to ride. I think I'm going to hold out and wait for a larger frame men's frame to turn up in the same colors so I can make the parts swap someday. Until then, its my around the neighborhood beater bike.

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 27inch (Post 20100085)
I picked this up with full intentions of swapping everything over to a men's frame but the thing rides so perfect the way it is I couldn't bring myself to part it out.
The bike rides and feels like a much larger frame size, I'm 6'01, and it fits me well. Ladies model or not its a fun bike to ride. I think I'm going to hold out and wait for a larger frame men's frame to turn up in the same colors so I can make the parts swap someday. Until then, its my around the neighborhood beater bike.

Looks to be 67-68' where do you live? why not put it in the avatar? All yer bikes are listed. You don't look close by because the old Merc/Ford isn't rusty enough for you to be close by. The bike was a project and is in prefect riding order now. It rides real nice/straight. Every nut, bolt, screw, ballbearing has been gone through. I might even trade for that one.

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 20099806)
What @noglider said! That would be a good price here in Portland. And there's some pretty nice pros with this one:
  1. Looks to be an early 60's model
  2. Looks to be in good shape (though the photos aren't great)
  3. And looks to be ready to go, vs a $50 project bike
Of course, you could probably bargain with the seller a bit, esp. for misspelling Raleigh. :rolleyes:

(and if you look in photo 2, there looks to be maybe a red Raleigh in the background?)

I am such a F up!

adventurepdx 01-09-18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20100284)
I am such a F up!

No, you are not. I didn't mean to imply that in my post (and I doubt @noglider did either), so I apologize if it was taken that way. It's just that prices on used bikes are subjective. There's no rules, it's about what the particular market can bear plus what someone is willing to pay. You expressed your opinion on the price of that bike, I expressed mine.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm guessing that most of the dozen or so regular posters to this thread would like to find an old three speed for (next to) nothing, unless it was a particularly rare bike. Most of the folks here are tinkerers, and are going to refurbish/rebuild the bike to some extent. So $175 may be too high for someone like that.

But what about the folks who are not on this list, who are not bike tinkerers, who may just want a three speed? Especially one that works with a minimum of fuss and added work (if the seller indeed did all the work claimed in the ad)? To them, this bike may be worth the $175 asking price.

BigChief 01-09-18 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 27inch (Post 20100085)

I'm especially fond of these S5 hubs. I tried, but didn't get on with the top tube mounted stick shifters that originally came on the bike. I ended up using a SA trigger on the right and a Suntour power shifter to operate the bell crank on the left.

Attachment 595033

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 20100521)
No, you are not. I didn't mean to imply that in my post (and I doubt @noglider did either), so I apologize if it was taken that way. It's just that prices on used bikes are subjective. There's no rules, it's about what the particular market can bear plus what someone is willing to pay. You expressed your opinion on the price of that bike, I expressed mine.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm guessing that most of the dozen or so regular posters to this thread would like to find an old three speed for (next to) nothing, unless it was a particularly rare bike. Most of the folks here are tinkerers, and are going to refurbish/rebuild the bike to some extent. So $175 may be too high for someone like that.

But what about the folks who are not on this list, who are not bike tinkerers, who may just want a three speed? Especially one that works with a minimum of fuss and added work (if the seller indeed did all the work claimed in the ad)? To them, this bike may be worth the $175 asking price.

175 Is high in a Minnesota winter but I have put 4 bikes on CL to please the opposition(HER)I personally put 175 in labor...

adventurepdx 01-09-18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20100672)
175 Is high in a Minnesota winter but I have put 4 bikes on CL to please the opposition(HER)I personally put 175 in labor...

Agreed, dead of winter is a hard time in most places to ask for a good amount of $$ on a bike, let alone successfully sell one. I had to sell my LHT a few winters ago for a price lower than I wanted, simply because I needed the money.

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 07:22 PM

175+ in labor to message paint & not f u decals. Every nook & kranny. There is no jackpot, only a finish. Deoxidized

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 20100677)
Agreed, dead of winter is a hard time in most places to ask for a good amount of $$ on a bike, let alone successfully sell one. I had to sell my LHT a few winters ago for a price lower than I wanted, simply because I needed the money.

I don't really want to sell nothing. The tangible asset here is basically nil.

gster 01-09-18 07:56 PM

I agree. Reasonable. Rims look good, Raleigh acorns, paint and decals good plus a tall frame.

27inch 01-09-18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20100272)
Looks to be 67-68' where do you live? why not put it in the avatar? All yer bikes are listed. You don't look close by because the old Merc/Ford isn't rusty enough for you to be close by. The bike was a project and is in prefect riding order now. It rides real nice/straight. Every nut, bolt, screw, ballbearing has been gone through. I might even trade for that one.

Who ever had this didn't ride it a whole lot. Although its not mint it doesn't look abused. The fenders and chainguard are straight, the paint is faded but not all scratched up and the rims are straight.
The old Merc is gone, I sold it soon after taking that pic, it lived its whole life in the garage, sold it with 95K on it.
I took the pic the day I brought both of them back here back in the early fall. The yard is snow covered here now bit its melting fast right now. The bike came from north east PA. I moved from there back in Oct.

I haven't thought about letting this one go, I like the two additional gears.

On this bike they used a second SA trigger to shift the left side, it uses just two positions. It seems to work well and looks the part.
I've never found one of these that still had its original shifters for some reason, my guess is they had issues?

johnnyspaghetti 01-09-18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20100722)
I agree. Reasonable. Rims look good, Raleigh acorns, paint and decals good plus a tall frame.

rims are not perfect. Some idiot has impacted the frt rim in the brake friction zone as a fool would do....Go hit a banjo or a harp