Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Shoe color and foot temp (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235186)

Jseivert 07-21-21 06:47 PM

Shoe color and foot temp

Are white shoes noticeably cooler temperature wise than black shoes? I only have black and my feet get warm in the summer. Wondering if white would make a noticeable difference. For reference, 80ish degrees and full sun is where I notice it. Cooler Temps or cloudy days not so much.
Thanks for any input!

terrymorse 07-21-21 07:31 PM

Years ago, I did some thermal testing of white vs black helmets under simulated sunlight.

With air moving at 5mph, the white helmet was 1.5ºF above ambient.

Under the same conditions, the black helmet was 2.5ºF above ambient.

Conclusion: As long as the air is moving even slightly, the white-black temperature difference is not significant.

GlennR 07-21-21 07:35 PM

I have black shoes and never thought they were overly warm.

shelbyfv 07-21-21 08:20 PM

If you are a guy, you have to be a real cycling stud to sport white shoes. Have no idea how that came to be but there it is.:foo:

Jseivert 07-22-21 06:07 AM

Good point on air circulation. So now I'm thinking maybe a mesh top vs solid with tiny holes might provide more ventilation and be slightly cooler.

Bald Paul 07-22-21 08:26 AM

I have two pairs of Venzo cycling shoes, one black, one white. If there is a difference in temp, I don't notice it.

topflightpro 07-22-21 08:37 AM

If sitting around, you will notice how quickly black shoes heat up. If you're riding, you probably won't notice it.

iReadBlitz 07-22-21 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22152425)
If you are a guy, you have to be a real cycling stud to sport white shoes. Have no idea how that came to be but there it is.:foo:

Ridiculous. I've heard of this but it didn't sway me away from buying white shoes. I just got back into cycling after a 10 year absence and I am, lets just say, not a stud by any means.
If while I'm out riding anyone feels the need to voice their displeasure at MY choice of the shoes I purchased with my hard earned dollars you best believe I will voice my unpleasant opinion of their ignorant outdated unwritten "cycling rule". I would also tell them they can come try and take them off my feet if they feel so passionate about it :fight:

sw20 07-22-21 08:55 AM

I have both black and white shoes, the black pair are cooler as they are vented.

rsbob 07-22-21 09:01 AM

I have these, a bit pricy, but work brilliantly. Either in white or black https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ext=61020-7236

Riveting 07-22-21 09:07 AM

I'm a bigger guy, and have bigger power, so stud may apply here, which means I'm qualified to go with white shoes, though I haven't yet. Question: Can black socks be worn when wearing white shoes? Because I only wear black socks, so I can wipe my dirty chain fingers on them, if the need arises due to snapping a chain during a sprint. #studlife

woodcraft 07-22-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22152352)
Years ago, I did some thermal testing of white vs black helmets under simulated sunlight.

With air moving at 5mph, the white helmet was 1.5ºF above ambient.

Under the same conditions, the black helmet was 2.5ºF above ambient.

Conclusion: As long as the air is moving even slightly, the white-black temperature difference is not significant.

Doesn't your test show the black helmet 66% hotter than the white one? That seems significant...

I mostly wear white shoes, and they are cooler than black, IMO, but any benefit is less than other considerations i.e. fit, style, etc.. Black shorts are clearly hotter, but I won't be wearing white ones for a couple of reasons.

MidTNBrad 07-22-21 10:14 AM

Go with red. It's neither black nor white and everyone knows that red shoes are the fastest.

terrymorse 07-22-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 22153008)
Doesn't your test show the black helmet 66% hotter than the white one? That seems significant...

The black helmet was hotter, but the 1ºF difference at 5mph air flow was barely enough to detect.

At 6.5mph air flow, the difference was less than 0.3ºF.

shelbyfv 07-22-21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by iReadBlitz (Post 22152939)
Ridiculous. I've heard of this but it didn't sway me away from buying white shoes. I just got back into cycling after a 10 year absence and I am, lets just say, not a stud by any means.
If while I'm out riding and anyone feels the need to voice their displeasure at MY choice of the shoes I purchased with my hard earned dollars you best believe I will voice my unpleasant opinion of their ignorant outdated unwritten "cycling rules". I would also tell them they can come try and take them off my feet if they feel so passionate about it :fight:

:lol: I doubt anyone will call you out, though they may not wave....

GhostRider62 07-22-21 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Riveting (Post 22152963)
I'm a bigger guy, and have bigger power, so stud may apply here, which means I'm qualified to go with white shoes, though I haven't yet. Question: Can black socks be worn when wearing white shoes? Because I only wear black socks, so I can wipe my dirty chain fingers on them, if the need arises due to snapping a chain during a sprint. #studlife

Get with the program, Studs wax their chains these days. No Fred marks.

iReadBlitz 07-22-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22153338)

Lol all good I can live with that.

Sy Reene 07-22-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22152904)
I have two pairs of Venzo cycling shoes, one black, one white. If there is a difference in temp, I don't notice it.

You tried yet wearing one of each on your rides for science?

shelbyfv 07-22-21 02:12 PM

:thumb:Excellent question! Never pondered this because I've never been a white shoe level rider. I suppose white socks might be less hot in the summer and of course you wouldn't wear the white shoes before Easter or after Labor day. If you did have to change from black socks, you could wipe your hands on your bibs, that's one of a few reasons they are black.;)

Sy Reene 07-22-21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 22153008)

You need to calculate the percentage difference using the Kelvin temperature scale. Eg. 80 degree vs. 81 degrees Fahrenheit would be about a .2% difference.

iReadBlitz 07-22-21 02:22 PM

I wear black socks with my white shoes every time I ride. You are good to go :thumb:

gringomojado 07-22-21 03:10 PM

Believe it or not, thin merino wool socks keep footsies cool in summer and warm in winter
color not important
gm

delbiker1 07-22-21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22153338)

You mean if I wear white shoes and not being a stud, I no longer have to worry about hurting someone's feelings because I did not wave back.? Actually, the only difference I ever notice in foot temperature when riding comes from the socks material and thickness.

WhyFi 07-22-21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22152425)

I'm a stud and, more importantly, the carpet shoes match the drapes helmet.

zandoval 07-22-21 05:56 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edcba9e9d.jpeg
Give um a try...