Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Blood pressure meds (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235305)

dougphoto 07-23-21 02:06 PM

Blood pressure meds

My dr started me on BP meds recently, first one didn't do much for my pressure but I felt ok, 2nd one which I've been on for a week or so has done good stuff for my BP but I feel so wiped out after just a short ride, and light headed. For others that are on BP meds, how long did it take for you to adjust to them, or figure out a good drug combo?

genejockey 07-23-21 02:19 PM

BP meds come in different flavors. Some will prevent your HR from rising very much, which could impact you performance. Others have different side effect profiles.

I'm on Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) and Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic). Side effect profiles with those are pretty mild, though apparently the HCTZ can increase sun sensitivity, so I always wear SPF50 sunblock. I don't see any change in performance if I skip a day, or take the pills after riding vs before, but there might be some minor changes in HR at the same power. Hard to say.

The various physicians here can comment more knowledgably, but I'd talk to the doc who prescribed the meds about what you're experiencing.

deacon mark 07-23-21 03:01 PM

I take Losartan which is an angiotensin II receptor, similar to an ACE inhibitor. I also take 12 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide. I take a large dose of Losartan 100mg but I have had HBP since I was 14 years old unusual teenager ever gets it. They have never found cause all kinds of testing and been a marathoner, runner, and cyclist 42 years. It does not seem to cause me problems but my BP can be low after riding long. Beta Blockers are the ones that can take you down as they limit the heart output. I took one of those over 30 years ago for awhile it wiped me out and my pulse dropped crazy. My resting pulse is 40 sometimes 38-39 to Beta Blockers not good.

terrymorse 07-23-21 04:04 PM

See this posting. Certain types of BP meds--especially beta blockers--have a significant impact on cardio output and endurance.

A sports cardiologist will know the types of BP meds to prescribe for athletes:

Beta blocker recommendations

bruce19 07-23-21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22154975)
See this posting. Certain types of BP meds--especially beta blockers--have a significant impact on cardio output and endurance.

A sports cardiologist will know the types of BP meds to prescribe for athletes:

Beta blocker recommendations

This is right on the money. Years ago I was put on Coreg which is a Beta Blocker. I couldn't stay awake. I got depressed and I NEVER get depressed.I was a mess. I started drinking 100% beet juice and changed some lifestyle habits and I was able to give up meds.

datlas 07-23-21 04:43 PM

Talk to the doctor about your concerns. There are likely good solutions but best to avoid anecdotal online advice for medical issues.

shelbyfv 07-23-21 05:30 PM

I've known more than one riding friend who had to give up cycling because of his blood pressure meds. That was over 5 years ago so hopefully there are more choices now. Plus, I read on BF that riding an ebike is just the same as cycling except for.... ;)

zymphad 07-24-21 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by dougphoto (Post 22154850)
My dr started me on BP meds recently, first one didn't do much for my pressure but I felt ok, 2nd one which I've been on for a week or so has done good stuff for my BP but I feel so wiped out after just a short ride, and light headed. For others that are on BP meds, how long did it take for you to adjust to them, or figure out a good drug combo?

Some generalization but this is what I've seen so far.
It's likely you were put on what are called beta blockers. They are used primarily for people who have irregular HR or tendency for rapid HR arrhythmia. But some doctors are old school and continue to use them for BP management even though it's been proven that something like ACE inhibitor is more effective.
- Most common are ACE inhibitor like Lisinopril or diuretics like HCTZ/Lasix and lastly beta blockers. Beta blockers primarily for rate control, if you got history of rapid afib or tendency for SVT. Diuretics are primarily for people who have heart failure or fluid overload.
- Less common is Angiotensin antagonist, like Losartan, most commonly seen with patients who have diabetes, seems to help putting less stress on kidneys due to high blood pressure.

I would probably talk to your doctor or if need be another doctor and explain your current regiment, diet, and exercise and figure out what medication would best suit your goals and what you want to do. For majority of people unless they have primary hypertension, most people have it secondary to something else, diet and exercise will do more to control BP than drugs. Most people do not have primary hypertension, which has no secondary cause for it, some people just have high blood pressure and nothing they can really do about it. I highly doubt you are in that category.

I know plenty of people who refused to take beta blockers for the reasons you outlined and through a change for a more active life style with healthier diet have excellent BP now.