Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

bampilot06 07-24-20 06:34 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ace17ce0.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e4906cf38.jpeg

This morning I think I figured out my hand problem. My right hand sits naturally at the top of the hood and the only “pressure” is in the pocket in between my thumb and pointer.

My left arm and hand want to sit with my palm resting on the bar and more of my hand against the hood.

I can rotate my hand forward so it matches my right hand but it doesn’t feel natural, and I have to consciously think about keeping my hand in that position. It also causes my elbow to stick out at an angle, where my right forearm is parallel to the ground.

I knew my arms weren’t symmetrical, but being left handed I would have thought the problem would have been the other arm.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604455)
Dude, that sucks. I would hate to be the person that recommended that machine to you.

I've lived in municipalities with pretty good water and I've only descaled my machine twice in... goodness... 12 years?

So you can hear the pump going but it's not coming out (back-flushing or something)?

Yes, there’s this thing that redirects water back to the boiler if the pressure gets too high so the pump can run but no water comes out. So, because the 3-way valve is plugged and it can’t send water to the group head, it’s returning it to the boiler. I tried decalcifier but it didn’t work. I’m going to try it again before I disassemble the thing.

WhyFi 07-24-20 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604458)
PM delivery delayed until Monday.

I wondered about your PM status on the ride today. Bummer.

datlas 07-24-20 06:56 AM

Someone please remind me to NEVER color Jackie's toenails again.

WhyFi 07-24-20 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604464)
Yes, there’s this thing that redirects water back to the boiler if the pressure gets too high so the pump can run but no water comes out. So, because the 3-way valve is plugged and it can’t send water to the group head, it’s returning it to the boiler. I tried decalcifier but it didn’t work. I’m going to try it again before I disassemble the thing.

Got it. Yeah, I had to replace my valves once, the seals had just gotten old/worn, but it wasn't too bad. My grouphead design may have more easy access, though.

Edit: found some pics that I took during the process, the first comparing the old/new valves and the others in an exploded view (which is always nice when it's time to put it back together). Do you need to have any food grade lube on hand or anything? Double-check before you pull things apart.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57b5ee66e6.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8b05c6be5.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b42e96ba1b.jpg

rjones28 07-24-20 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604424)
Yesterday, my wife tells me one of my wheels has a wobble. I take a quick look and it's not bad so I finish the rid. Get home and look at it and it's a broken spoke... oops... broken aluminum nipple.

OK, no problem, I'll make an espresso and redo the wheel. Espresso machine fails to pump water. I call the dealer and lady says that according to their records, I've had the unit for two months now so how many times have I descaled it? Times? Uh, that would be zero. We have soft water so I didn't bother. She runs me through some diagnostics and says, yup, your three way solenoid valve is plugged. I'll send you to a couple links on how to tear your machine down. I look at the videos and it's like brain surgery to get to this goofy thing. Back to the Nespresso and Aeropress until I get up the nerve to tear this thing apart.

The only part of my coffee operation that needs descaling is the kettle. We have a mineral-rich aquafer.

WhyFi 07-24-20 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21604486)

Don't do it. Never.

Done.

abshipp 07-24-20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21604463)
This morning I think I figured out my hand problem. My right hand sits naturally at the top of the hood and the only “pressure” is in the pocket in between my thumb and pointer.

My left arm and hand want to sit with my palm resting on the bar and more of my hand against the hood.

I can rotate my hand forward so it matches my right hand but it doesn’t feel natural, and I have to consciously think about keeping my hand in that position. It also causes my elbow to stick out at an angle, where my right forearm is parallel to the ground.

I knew my arms weren’t symmetrical, but being left handed I would have thought the problem would have been the other arm.

Take a look at this post. It does a pretty good job of showing where the pressure should be on your hands, you want to be careful not to compress any of the nerves in your palm.

I ride on pretty rough roads with thin unpadded cotton bar tape and unpadded or no gloves. After longer rides my hands sometimes hurt, but I've never had any numbness.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604481)
I wondered about your PM status on the ride today. Bummer.

Thanks for wondering. The tingly anticipation is over when the thing is consummated, never to return. I'm going to sit here, become aroused over text and images of PMs and crank arms on the internet, and savor the tingle.

WhyFi 07-24-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604515)
Thanks for wondering. The tingly anticipation is over when the thing is consummated, never to return. I'm going to sit here, become aroused over text and images of PMs and crank arms on the internet, and savor the tingle.

Soooo... what color puffy decals did you get? Did you bundle some chainrings?

MoAlpha 07-24-20 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604522)
Soooo... what color puffy decals did you get? Did you bundle some chainrings?

Black. I am not against adding some color to the generally funereal look of the bike, but I don't think that's where I want to do it. My computer only came in red and looks okay, so maybe I'll change my mind later.

I got the Praxis 50/34 set, since the 6800 crank is moving to the Lynskey. The Shimano chainwheels look like crap on the PM IMO and I wanted 5-bolt for cost and flexibility reasons too.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 07:41 AM

Personally, I would have gone pinker with sparkles

MoAlpha 07-24-20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21604461)
Every time I hear about "kit" I think of this:

Another bit of culture I missed out on, having spent my adolescence in a home for incurable weenies. I just think "kit" is a bit naff.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 07:49 AM

Gentle reminder, talking here about other forums/threads on BF is bad etiquette.

datlas 07-24-20 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604555)
Gentle reminder, talking here about other forums/threads on BF is bad etiquette.

Got it.

datlas 07-24-20 08:01 AM

Yeah that's bad etiquette. I get it.

WhyFi 07-24-20 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604541)
Black. I am not against adding some color to the generally funereal look of the bike, but I don't think that's where I want to do it. My computer only came in red and looks okay, so maybe I'll change my mind later.

I got the Praxis 50/34 set, since the 6800 crank is moving to the Lynskey. The Shimano chainwheels look like crap on the PM IMO and I wanted 5-bolt for cost and flexibility reasons too.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Praxis. I like the way they look and they're supposedly the only chainrings besides Shimano to be cold forged. I keep meaning to pick up a set, but then 5750 'rings pop up for a price that I can't resist.

My one argument for colorful decals: how else are others going to know, with only a casual glance, that you're an Elite with a PM? :foo:

MoAlpha 07-24-20 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604555)

Beautiful moderations.

datlas 07-24-20 08:08 AM

So here is the weekend dilemma. I am on call this weekend. Typically I get one page/hour, during "normal" hours say 7AM-10PM. I get fairly few pages between 10PM and 7AM. I do want to ride this weekend. Each page takes typically 5-10 minutes to put out the fire. So clearly I am not doing any group rides. I think it makes sense to start out extra early like 5:30AM so risk of pages first 2 hours of ride is low, and accept that once/hour I will have to take a 5-10 minute "rest stop" to answer the page, address the issue and put out the fire. Ideally I would ask a partner to cover a few hours for me but it seems no one is willing this weekend.

The alternative is to not ride at all and sulk. Which feels rather tempting TBH.

bampilot06 07-24-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21604505)
Take a look at this post. It does a pretty good job of showing where the pressure should be on your hands, you want to be careful not to compress any of the nerves in your palm.

I ride on pretty rough roads with thin unpadded cotton bar tape and unpadded or no gloves. After longer rides my hands sometimes hurt, but I've never had any numbness.

Thanks! Never had pain, just left hand numbness on longer rides.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604578)
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Praxis. I like the way they look and they're supposedly the only chainrings besides Shimano to be cold forged. I keep meaning to pick up a set, but then 5750 'rings pop up for a price that I can't resist.

My one argument for against colorful decals: how else are others going to know, with only a casual glance, that you're an Elite a hopeless old wanker with too much dispo income and a PM? :foo:

As for the rings, as long as the shifting is halfway decent, I won't know a thing.

WhyFi 07-24-20 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21604587)
So here is the weekend dilemma. I am on call this weekend. Typically I get one page/hour, during "normal" hours say 7AM-10PM. I get fairly few pages between 10PM and 7AM. I do want to ride this weekend. Each page takes typically 5-10 minutes to put out the fire. So clearly I am not doing any group rides. I think it makes sense to start out extra early like 5:30AM so risk of pages first 2 hours of ride is low, and accept that once/hour I will have to take a 5-10 minute "rest stop" to answer the page, address the issue and put out the fire. Ideally I would ask a partner to cover a few hours for me but it seems no one is willing this weekend.

The alternative is to not ride at all and sulk. Which feels rather tempting TBH.

A good sulk is sometimes nice, but a ride is almost always better in hindsight. I'd try to squeeze in a metric.

Velo Vol 07-24-20 08:18 AM

MoAlpha 07-24-20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21604587)

If you need an excuse for a weekend off, by all means avail yourself of this one.

WhyFi 07-24-20 08:29 AM

Two things from the morning ride:

1) Was it datlas that recently expressed chamois cream FOMO? I've still never used chamois cream, but I did use a somewhat analogous product that was recently recommended in the Greater 41 - some Gold Bond anti-friction stick that looks like an antiperspirant. It was... not bad. I don't feel like I *need* chamois cream, but there's usually an, um, adjustment period wherein I need to sort out pinching/rubbing. It's typically when I first get on the bike or when I get back on after a bathroom break, convenience store stop, un caffe, etc. No adjustment period today. That was nice.

2) As my riding load has increased, I find that I'm really liking the stretching and foam roller work post-ride. Man, does that help. Hurt like **** when I first started doing it, but it's a hurt-so-good thing now, and I'd be in a lot more discomfort if I didn't do it.

abshipp 07-24-20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21603932)
Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if it's up by the weekend. It might be a few weeks.

Just saw that it affected their aviation stuff, too. Ouch. Sucks to be the poor SOB who was planning a cross-country this weekend and has an out of date database they can't update.

mvnsnd 07-24-20 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21604463)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ace17ce0.jpeg

Could you try rotating the right brake lever inwards a bit to match your natural hand position?

MoAlpha 07-24-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604626)
Two things from the morning ride:

1) Was it datlas that recently expressed chamois cream FOMO? I've still never used chamois cream, but I did use a somewhat analogous product that was recently recommended in the Greater 41 - some Gold Bond anti-friction stick that looks like an antiperspirant. It was... not bad. I don't feel like I *need* chamois cream, but there's usually an, um, adjustment period wherein I need to sort out pinching/rubbing. It's typically when I first get on the bike or when I get back on after a bathroom break, convenience store stop, un caffe, etc. No adjustment period today. That was nice.

I know what you mean: that "seating" process.

I used Body Glide®, which also came in a stick, for years when I was running. Lifesaving stuff.

LesterOfPuppets 07-24-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21599781)
I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery. :thumb:

#N-1

Wow. I had a buyer for my bike on FB in less than an hour. I didn't exchange it 'til 12 hours later, but he seemed like a reasonable human, so I held the bike for him overnight. My messenger was blowing up all night from other people wanting it. Guess I'd better copy my other two bike sales from CL to FB.
Unfortunately bike parts aren't moving as quickly. Plus bike rims are languishing and pedals have gotten a couple of nibbles, but still sitting here a week later.

Good bye Pinky Tuscadero...

WhyFi 07-24-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21604686)
Wow. I had a buyer for my bike on FB in less than an hour. I didn't exchange it 'til 12 hours later, but he seemed like a reasonable human, so I held the bike for him overnight. My messenger was blowing up all night from other people wanting it. Guess I'd better copy my other two bike sales from CL to FB.
Unfortunately bike parts aren't moving as quickly. Plus bike rims are languishing and pedals have gotten a couple of nibbles, but still sitting here a week later.

Good bye Pinky Tuscadero...

When I eventually get around to it, maybe I'll list my wheels on FB. I do kind of like the relative anonymity of CL, though - I don't need people trying to contact me for post-sale support and/or kvetching.