Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-03-20 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398400)
Gotcha. I guess just try flushing it a few more times and cycle it a lot. I think that a select few people have successfully overhauled Shimano STI stuff, but they are few and far between,. They really don't like going back together after being taken apart, unlike Campagnolo Ergopower levers.

eBay has quite a few in the $70-$100 range. Seems like the path of least resistance if flushing doesn't work. You should be able to swap one out without even needing to remove bar tape.

However:

As a regular Addiction poster, I am required by Addiction bylaws to recommend you look into the Cervelo closeouts on excelsports.com and pick out the R series of your choice.

Um.

Some things just don't need to be said, they're just a given. Having a firm grasp of the obvious doesn't really set you apart.

BillyD 04-03-20 07:55 AM

WhyFi, I’m not wasting my time arguing over the Internet. Never have, never will. You can see what you want to see, believe what you want to believe and say what you want to say, and I’ll do the same. Adios.

datlas 04-03-20 07:57 AM

Picture from my daughter. Apparently she and Jackie are learning psychology,

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c66f3697b.jpeg

WhyFi 04-03-20 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21398412)
WhyFi, I’m not wasting my time arguing over the Internet. Never have, never will. You can see what you want to see, believe what you want to believe and say what you want to say, and I’ll do the same. Adios.

You've never had qualms about arguing - you were just arguing with LAJ. You just don't like it when people argue back and you're on shaky ground. Adios, indeed.

rjones28 04-03-20 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398295)
Yeah, multi-quote has worked better than ever since they done re-did it.

For those having problems, check the multi-quote box for every post *except* the last one that you'd like to quote - you simply hit the "quote" on that one and you should be good to go.

That's what I do. No dice.

#multiquoteisoverrated

rjones28 04-03-20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398356)
Huh. Maybe just needs to be cleaned out. The mechanism in the shifter isn't working when it's cold, it's not just that the cable is maybe binding somewhere?

And to be clear, when you say shifting to smaller gears, you're talking about the shifter releasing cable instead of pulling, right?

It is possible the shifters just need to be cleaned up. I've "fixed" quite a few STI shifters by chucking them in a parts washer and relubing them. Or, a quick hit with some spray cleaner/lube like One-Step.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398400)
As a regular Addiction poster, I am required by Addiction bylaws to recommend you look into the Cervelo closeouts on excelsports.com and pick out the R series of your choice.

One of these years I’ll go up to Boulder on a trip and come back with something. Maybe a P3-X.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21398414)
Picture from my daughter. Apparently she and Jackie are learning psychology,

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c66f3697b.jpeg

Such a fine and helpful kitty.

rjones28 04-03-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21398375)
Other than squirting WD40 into the brifter I don't know much of what can be done about it.

I'm talking about shifting to the smaller gears after you've climbed the hill.

When was the last time you put new cable and housing on the bike?

rjones28 04-03-20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21398390)
Sounds to me like whatever lube is inside the housing is the problem. You're capable of changing cables and housings, certainly.

You must be new here.*

* see bar tape episode

WhyFi 04-03-20 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21398438)
That's what I do. No dice.

#multiquoteisoverrated

#youreholdingitwrong

MoAlpha 04-03-20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398450)
Such a fine and helpful kitty.

Stage 3 (Concrete Operations, IIRC), at least.

rjones28 04-03-20 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398463)

Just following your instructions. ;)

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 08:45 AM

I wonder if the multi-quote issue is browser-related; will investigate later.

#itjustworks #exceptwhenitdoesnt

LesterOfPuppets 04-03-20 08:45 AM

WOOHOOO, it's FRIDAY!

:bday: :bday: :bday:

​​​​​​​

LAJ 04-03-20 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398493)

The Goggle does odd things for me.

Trsnrtr 04-03-20 08:54 AM

I venture out to pick up a few items because I don’t want to shop over the weekend. My Costco has been playing fast and loose with their hours; one never knows for sure when they are opening or closing and their local website is totally wrong. Said they were closing at 8:30 and they actually closed at 6:30 last night. Supposed to open at 9:00 and actual time this morning is 10:00. When I got there at 9:15, there were many people sitting in cars as confused as myself.

Tooled over to Aldis and probably 40% were wearing masks. I just picked up a couple things and bolted for home.

Will try again on Monday. :(

rjones28 04-03-20 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398493)

I have tried multi-quote in IE 11 and Edge. Does not work in either.

WhyFi 04-03-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21398513)
I venture out to pick up a few items because I don’t want to shop over the weekend. My Costco has been playing fast and loose with their hours; one never knows for sure when they are opening or closing and their local website is totally wrong. Said they were closing at 8:30 and they actually closed at 6:30 last night. Supposed to open at 9:00 and actual time this morning is 10:00. When I got there at 9:15, there were many people sitting in cars as confused as myself.

Tooled over to Aldis and probably 40% were wearing masks. I just picked up a couple things and bolted for home.

Will try again on Monday. :(

Frankly, weekends don't seem to matter these days - it's all the same. I went to Costco last Saturday at lunch time, something that I would normally avoid, 'cause it's usually a zoo, and it wasn't busy at all. And while I can't help you with the store hours being wonky, I stand by my earlier recommendation - check google maps for live busyness levels before leaving the house.

MoAlpha 04-03-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21398494)
WOOHOOO, it's FRIDAY!

:bday: :bday: :bday:

https://youtu.be/kfVsfOSbJY0

On the sailing site I used to frequent, "Friday" was code for NSFW.

MoAlpha 04-03-20 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398546)
Frankly, weekends don't seem to matter these days - it's all the same.

They really don't and everyone I work with works weekends anyway, so the work flow continues almost unabated. It feels like a little taste of (semi) retirement and I like it.

Trsnrtr 04-03-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21398453)
When was the last time you put new cable and housing on the bike?

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398546)
Frankly, weekends don't seem to matter these days - it's all the same. I went to Costco last Saturday at lunch time, something that I would normally avoid, 'cause it's usually a zoo, and it wasn't busy at all. And while I can't help you with the store hours being wonky, I stand by my earlier recommendation - check google maps for live busyness levels before leaving the house.

Ours now allows only 2 people per card to enter the store and our local Menards has banned children.

MoAlpha 04-03-20 09:10 AM

What doesn't work for me is the snap-back button for quoted posts. PITA.

big john 04-03-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21398347)
Shimano 6600.

For a while the back one has done this weird thing were sometimes it does not want to shift to smaller gears on cooler rides. Then on warmer days it works fine. I don't get it.

My 6600 bike has done that on both shifters. I don't ride it very often and I have tried WD-40 but it gets gummy in there after the bike sits in cooler weather. The last time I used silicone spray lube and the shifters worked great after that. Turn the bike upside down and spray into the shifter at the base of the lever.

Trsnrtr 04-03-20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21398516)
I have tried multi-quote in IE 11 and Edge. Does not work in either.

I just tried my Edge and it doesn't work either.