Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How do you drink from your bottle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233379)

Iride01 06-23-21 03:45 PM

How do you drink from your bottle?

I'm probably unusual in my drinking habits on a bike, but I never liked typical bike bidons Mainly because I don't like either squrting the drink into my mouth or sucking on the nipple.

I know that's why baby's cry so much, they just can't get enough out of a nipple and are constantly thirsty/hungry. And that's me too. So I unscrew the top and take a drink so I can gulp it down and feel more satisfied.

I use drink bottles from the store that have a smaller opening with the lid off. The bigger opening of the typical bidon just lets drink splash all over me while pedaling.

So what do others do? Squirt, suck or take the top off?

And does all the road grime slung up by the front tire not bother you? At least drinking with the lid removed exposes a clean area for my lips. <grin>

Koyote 06-23-21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22114719)
So what do others do? Squirt, suck or take the top off?

This has tremendous potential, but I'd rather not get banned.

surak 06-23-21 04:09 PM

Squirt. Cap. Only paid $2 per, $6 is too steep, but at least now Camelbak has a Mud line that has them.

Hermes 06-23-21 04:12 PM

There is a lot of bait on this threads hook. Poster beware.

I carry two standard water bottles and reach down and while riding take a drink or wait for a traffic light or other situation when the bike is stopped.

10 Wheels 06-23-21 04:21 PM

Like This
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9c7d2035f.jpg

Koyote 06-23-21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by surak (Post 22114753)
Squirt. Cap. Only paid $2 per, $6 is too steep, but at least now Camelbak has a Mud line that has them.

Okay, I'll post serious. This is a nice idea, especially as I ride in Amish country. When it's wet outside, and there are road apples all over the pavement, I do worry about the stuff that gets kicked up on my water bottles. I would not like to experience e coli.

OP, some mfrs are making water bottles with high-flow spouts. I know Specialized has (or had) some, and there are boutique water bottles on the market. google should turn up some options.

Edit: go here, look at the Mo-Flow lids.

indyfabz 06-23-21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 22114774)

We need a poll asking if your bottles wear socks and if so, what color(s).

rumrunn6 06-23-21 04:39 PM

for hot drinks, I will stop & sip
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09178b0f3e.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a4c1295f7b.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d41b73d703.jpg

drlogik 06-23-21 04:39 PM

I'm not racing anyone so I generally stop for a moment, take the cap off and take a good swig then keep on truckin'. Never liked squirting in my mouth either. Half the time it goes down the wrong way and peddling along while sucking on the end isn't comfortable for me.

pdlamb 06-23-21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 22114761)
There is a lot of bait on this threads hook. Poster beware.

I carry two standard water bottles and reach down and while riding take a drink or wait for a traffic light or other situation when the bike is stopped.

Fenders help keep the bottles (and the bike and the rider) clean.

10 Wheels 06-23-21 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22114797)

Helps keep the inside COOL.

AdkMtnMonster 06-23-21 04:52 PM

I refuse to answer this thread’s question until we hash out how bicyclists breath in climbs. Is it “in and out”, or “out and in”? Also, which leg pedals first, left or right?

Ghazmh 06-23-21 05:19 PM

Camelbak Dirt Podium has a nice rubber cap over the nipple.

shelbyfv 06-23-21 05:26 PM

Great thread though making it a poll might move it closer to the classics! I've never been comfortable riding with no hands so no unscrewing lids. Guess I'm stuck with squeeze and suck.

Iride01 06-23-21 05:40 PM

Wow, I'm surprised to find that a few of you also prefer to drink from the bottle. I've not had a problem taking the top off while pedaling and taking a drink. Though I've dropped a bottle on a group ride, I've also experienced dropped bottles of others on rides that weren't taking the top off to drink.

I'll have to look into the high-flow camel backs, but I thought that has been out quite awhile. Besides I don't suck. So not sure how that will help.

While puns and innuendo is partly intended, this is a serious question. My son tells me I need to use regular bidons in the proper way and quit embarrassing him. If he only knew! That alone is more motivation to keep doing what I'm doing. <grin>

vane171 06-23-21 06:00 PM

I got this bottle you need to pull the spout out with your teeth before you can drink. But drinking creates under pressure in the bottle which pulls the spout in and closing it. And you can squeeze the bottle only so much to prevent the under pressure to develop. I never squirt. :D

wolfchild 06-23-21 06:09 PM

1 - I pull over to the side and stop
2 - Remove the bottle from the cage.
3 - Unscrew the lid and take a drink
4 - Screw the lid back on.
5 - Put the bottle back in the cage
6 - Continue riding.

70sSanO 06-23-21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22114819)
I refuse to answer this thread’s question until we hash out how bicyclists breath in climbs. Is it “in and out”, or “out and in”? Also, which leg pedals first, left or right?

Always out first.

Left.

Squirt.

Not necessarily in that order.

John

indyfabz 06-23-21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by adkmtnmonster (Post 22114819)
i refuse to answer this thread’s question until we hash out how bicyclists breath in climbs. Is it “in and out”, or “out and in”? Also, which leg pedals first, left or right?

potd.

Koyote 06-23-21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22114931)
6 - Continue riding.

That seems a lot of work.

tomato coupe 06-23-21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22114892)
Wow, I'm surprised to find that a few of you also prefer to drink from the bottle.

Surprised? If you said you prefer to take off all your clothes before you drink, several people would agree.

tomato coupe 06-23-21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22114819)

1. Left nostril in, right nostril out. (Opposite in the Southern Hemisphere.)
2. Common curtesy dictates the eldest leg pedals first.

veganbikes 06-23-21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 22114761)
There is a lot of bait.

He's a master.

shelbyfv 06-23-21 08:33 PM

6 - Continue riding.

Aren't you concerned about additional wear on your cleats and brakes, all that stopping?

Chuck M 06-23-21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22114775)
Okay, I'll post serious. This is a nice idea, especially as I ride in Amish country. When it's wet outside, and there are road apples all over the pavement, I do worry about the stuff that gets kicked up on my water bottles. I would not like to experience e coli.

I have enough to worry about with amped up meth addicts behind the wheel where I ride. I refuse to fear germs on my water bottles and will instead tell myself they are hardening my immune system.

tomato coupe 06-23-21 09:22 PM

0 - locate drinking procedure checklist.
1 - i pull over to the side and stop.
2 - remove the bottle from the cage.
3 - unscrew the lid and take a drink
4 - screw the lid back on.
5 - put the bottle back in the cage
6 - continue riding.
7 - stow drinking procedure checklist.

fyfy

79pmooney 06-23-21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22114797)

And more important - how high?

And seriously - I suck like the gent in that photo. (I was decades into drinking that mode before i ever saw footage of the pros drinking from the corner of their mouths.) I simultaneously squeeze; not hard enough to get leakage and wet but enough that I can drink 2/3s of a bottle on one swig. Use the ubiquitous Specialized bottles and (preferred) the bottles with brownish plastic and a wider nozzle. Those preferred ones don't drink faster but they are much higher quality bottles and leak far less.

BikeLite 06-24-21 02:13 AM

Mostly a sucker, but might gulp if stopped. Squirting would be my last option.