Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Shifter upgrades to a single speed tandem? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1275708)

hph 06-24-23 10:38 AM

Shifter upgrades to a single speed tandem?

I picked up a tandem for pretty cheap recently (traded for a lawnmower that itself I bought for only $20). It's in the condition where, although rusty, it will be a nice cruiser just with the usual rebuilds and rubber changes. Schwinn Twinn, c. 1978.

The problem is it's a single speed and aside from riding along the river here in Pittsburgh, that's no good. What are some shifter upgrades I could throw on that's strong enough for a tandem?

It's a 120mm rear hub but a steel frame; considering that and that they made these with shifters too, my LBS figures we might be able to tweak it into accepting a 135. Thoughts on this? Even if we could do that, what hubs are available that aren't Rohloffs costing a grand?

Another solution is to do a front wheel Ebike conversion, but IDK if tough enough wheels have hit the market yet. Anyone know of anyone trying this?

All comments are appreciated 🙂

scycheng 06-25-23 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by hph (Post 22933314)

I would not bother to do major retrofits. Maybe a 3 speed conversion if you can find the parts cheap. The frame will be heavy and probably too flexy to ride in the hills. The front fork maybe too flexy for a motor. Enjoy riding it on the flats though, :) IMHO of course.

Moe Zhoost 06-25-23 10:45 AM

You may be able to fit a five speed freewheel hub and a claw type derailleur. Shifting will likely be friction only. Don't spend too much time and money on it - just enjoy it for what it is.

Artmo 06-25-23 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by hph (Post 22933314)
I picked up a tandem for pretty cheap recently (traded for a lawnmower that itself I bought for only $20). It's in the condition where, although rusty, it will be a nice cruiser just with the usual rebuilds and rubber changes. Schwinn Twinn, c. 1978.

The problem is it's a single speed and aside from riding along the river here in Pittsburgh, that's no good. What are some shifter upgrades I could throw on that's strong enough for a tandem?

It's a 120mm rear hub but a steel frame; considering that and that they made these with shifters too, my LBS figures we might be able to tweak it into accepting a 135. Thoughts on this? Even if we could do that, what hubs are available that aren't Rohloffs costing a grand?

Another solution is to do a front wheel Ebike conversion, but IDK if tough enough wheels have hit the market yet. Anyone know of anyone trying this?

I'm not sure it would be worth spending $1000+ to convert to E on this tandem, but we have been very pleased with the Cytronex C1. 250W max, so no special forks required and very easy to fit and remove.. www.cytronex.co.uk.

TobyGadd 06-25-23 01:25 PM

If you can actually smash a 135mm hub into the frame, you could probably add an Alfine internal 8-speed hub--which isn't too expensive. Universal Cycles -- Shimano SG-S7001-8 Alfine 8 Speed Rear Hub [ISGS70018BL, ISGS70018AL, ISGS70018BS, ISGS70018AS]

With a new rim, spokes, and nipples you could probably get this done for not too much money.

hph 06-25-23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TobyGadd (Post 22934273)
If you can actually smash a 135mm hub into the frame, you could probably add an Alfine internal 8-speed hub--which isn't too expensive. Universal Cycles -- Shimano SG-S7001-8 Alfine 8 Speed Rear Hub [ISGS70018BL, ISGS70018AL, ISGS70018BS, ISGS70018AS]

With a new rim, spokes, and nipples you could probably get this done for not too much money.

I had that idea; of course my concern is whether that would be durable enough to hold 300lb on that wheel alone.

Actually I was mistaken in my original post; these came as 1, 5, or 10 speeds; no internal geared hub option.

Currently a 40 spoke wheel; no idea the spoke gauge but obviously pretty thick. I can check later.

TobyGadd 06-25-23 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by hph (Post 22934430)
I had that idea; of course my concern is whether that would be durable enough to hold 300lb on that wheel alone.

Shimano says that they are e-bike certified, so I expect that they can take more power than the old frame! SHIMANO ALFINE Internal Geared Hub Disc Brake 8-speed | SHIMANO BIKE-US

Originally Posted by hph (Post 22934430)
Currently a 40 spoke wheel; no idea the spoke gauge but obviously pretty thick. I can check later.

Unless you want to keep the old rim for "style" points, I think that a new rim is the way to go.

hph 06-25-23 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TobyGadd (Post 22934441)
Unless you want to keep the old rim for "style" points, I think that a new rim is the way to go.

It's looking like it; there's not really 40-spoke hubs except for old SA's. Speaking of which...

Sheldon Brown suggests that an old English 3 speed wheel can potentially be used to upgrade a tandem, though I would be concerned with wheel strength. My less-favorite LBS warned about even riding my single English 3-speed over concern about the strength of the zinc 15ga spokes, when I bought a truing tool from them.

"Wheel Upgrades", here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/opctandem.html

hph 06-25-23 05:17 PM

I was browsing SA's website and I found this hub for "heavy duty" use: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pr.../detail/rx-rc5
$115

Seems that that one (and its variants) are the only ones SA sells that are so labeled, aside from a certain single speed coaster.

Leisesturm 06-26-23 12:03 AM

You can probably get a 126mm vintage (steel) rear dropout to open to 130mm for a modern Road hub, but a 120mm, even a 126, will NOT be opening to 135mm MTB spec. There is no path forward for that Schwinn unless the rear OLD is actually 126mm (5/6 speed). This is unlikely. I can well believe that separate frames were built for the multi-speed models, with the proper rear dropout spacing. For what a motor kit would cost, a very nice mid-1990's tandem could be purchased. This bike didn't cost a lot. Don't invest more in it than its worth.

hph 06-26-23 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 22934804)
You can probably get a 126mm vintage (steel) rear dropout to open to 130mm for a modern Road hub, but a 120mm, even a 126, will NOT be opening to 135mm MTB spec. There is no path forward for that Schwinn unless the rear OLD is actually 126mm (5/6 speed). This is unlikely. I can well believe that separate frames were built for the multi-speed models, with the proper rear dropout spacing. For what a motor kit would cost, a very nice mid-1990's tandem could be purchased. This bike didn't cost a lot. Don't invest more in it than its worth.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking at this point. I saw this tandem on FB today for only $150.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5571811401069/

Only concern is that it looks less rigid than my current one.