Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Getting tired of the costume change (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1258707)

VRC 09-15-22 05:56 PM

Getting tired of the costume change

I’m going to try velosambas, stretchy jeans, and a wool tee and see how it feels for a 10 mile, semi sporty commute and working. Wish me luck. Advice/commisseration welcome.

Edit: so people can stop piling on. I am not worried or think I will be smelling bad at work. It does not matter what I do for a job.
Seeking stories about people commuting in “normal” but bike appropriate clothes. Thanks or just ignore.

Bald Paul 09-15-22 06:17 PM

What type of work do you do? 10 'sporty' miles may make you, uh, 'funky' to your co-workers.

VRC 09-15-22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22648669)
What type of work do you do? 10 'sporty' miles may make you, uh, 'funky' to your co-workers.

None if your business but I think it’s fine. I’ve been doing the ride changing out of kit just because I don’t want to wear bibs all day.

holytrousers 09-15-22 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by VRC (Post 22648792)
None if your business but I think it’s fine. I’ve been doing the ride changing out of kit just because I don’t want to wear bibs all day.

:wtf:

Bald Paul 09-16-22 06:07 AM

Congratulations! You've been added to my "list".

VRC 09-16-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by holytrousers (Post 22648870)
:wtf:

Sorry I seem to have shocked people but I was shocked by Paul’s reply too.

To clarify, my question/comment relates to *riding the bike* in street clothes. I am not concerned about wearing clothes/existing at work.

pdlamb 09-16-22 02:54 PM

Kind of work would affect my advice. Construction or lawn care? Good luck! Public-facing job or office work? Uh, think about this.

Since you don't seem to recognize or to care about these niceties, I'm not sure what there's left to discuss.

Shortwave 09-16-22 04:56 PM

Yeah bro! Give the Anon dude on a public forum some privacy!!!! I'm just joshing. :)

RoadWearier 09-16-22 07:17 PM

This forum gets battier all the time.

CliffordK 09-16-22 07:20 PM

I wear jeans riding my bike more than I wear anything else. Each person is different.

Bogey Speedwell 09-16-22 07:47 PM

WOW, LOL!

come here asking for suggestions and when one steps up to help, and believes deeper details would help with their solicited suggestion…... BAM ‘your not entitled to details, how dare you’

Not like anyone here would be able to tie your name and type of work to find out who you are…..let alone care.

VRC 09-16-22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22649707)
Kind of work would affect my advice. Construction or lawn care? Good luck! Public-facing job or office work? Uh, think about this.

Since you don't seem to recognize or to care about these niceties, I'm not sure what there's left to discuss.

Question is about the ride, not the work day.

tFUnK 09-16-22 10:25 PM

The important things to figure out are shoes and bottoms. 10 miles makes me wanna ride clipless. Never been a fan of riding in jeans (or pants), I prefer shorts or 3/4 pants (neither are really appropriate for my work so I'm doing the costume change anyway).

holytrousers 09-17-22 12:05 AM

VRC PEOPLE have feelings, if you ask them for help, the least you can do is not to be rude. But your apology is much appreciated, hope Bald Paul has read it. :beer:
If you still care about your question:
When my commutes were 24km each way, i wore jeans and the pain was bearable. When they became 44km, cycling clothes became inevitable.
Keep us updated !

Bald Paul 09-17-22 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by holytrousers (Post 22650150)
VRC PEOPLE have feelings, if you ask them for help, the least you can do is not to be rude. But your apology is much appreciated, hope Bald Paul has read it. :beer:
If you still care about your question:
When my commutes were 24km each way, i wore jeans and the pain was bearable. When they became 44km, cycling clothes became inevitable.
Keep us updated !

I don't see his replies (the "list" thing) nor do I care about an apology.
However, the updates would be nice. Perhaps posting some shots of a chafed groin area, or the looks on co-workers faces as they pass downwind would be helpful. :lol:

PaulH 09-17-22 10:34 AM

Twenty years of experience commuting in normal office clothing here, brought to a possible end by forced telework. My commute was 25 miles round trip for part of that time. I think that the "semi sporty" part could be a problem. An hour and a quarter for 12.5 miles worked out well for me. Basically, I rode at a walking level of exertion. The type of bike is a really big factor. Upright bikes, like English 3 speeds or modern European commuter bikes are designed to be ridden in normal clothing. Most bikes sold in this country (road, mountain, or hybrid) are not. Upright riding position, wide leather saddle, and a chainguard/chaincase make a huge difference. My answer is yes, you can do it, and with the proper equipment it can be the easiest. fastest, and most convenient way to commute in congested areas with little or no parking. If you want sporty, I think an e-bike might be good.

holytrousers 09-17-22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by PaulH (Post 22650434)
Twenty years of experience commuting in normal office clothing here, brought to a possible end by forced telework. My commute was 25 miles round trip for part of that time. I think that the "semi sporty" part could be a problem. An hour and a quarter for 12.5 miles worked out well for me. Basically, I rode at a walking level of exertion. The type of bike is a really big factor. Upright bikes, like English 3 speeds or modern European commuter bikes are designed to be ridden in normal clothing. Most bikes sold in this country (road, mountain, or hybrid) are not. Upright riding position, wide leather saddle, and a chainguard/chaincase make a huge difference. My answer is yes, you can do it, and with the proper equipment it can be the easiest. fastest, and most convenient way to commute in congested areas with little or no parking. If you want sporty, I think an e-bike might be good.

A road bike could bring those 12 miles down to 40 minutes, with 35 minutes left to freshen up and change clothes :p

raqball 09-17-22 03:34 PM

What type of work do you do?

None if your business.

Relax dude.. He din't ask for the company name, workplace address, what hours you work, your home address, SSN or any other type of information what would cause such an obtuse response..

I-Like-To-Bike 09-18-22 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PaulH (Post 22650434)

Originally Posted by holytrousers (Post 22650640)
A road bike could bring those 12 miles down to 40 minutes, with 35 minutes left to freshen up and change clothes :p

Paul H commuted 12.5 miles to work in the Washington D.C. area. Would a road bike turn all the traffic signals green as well as make stop signs and rush hour traffic disappear too?:rolleyes:

Polaris OBark 10-06-22 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by raqball (Post 22650731)
Relax dude.. He din't ask for the company name, workplace address, what hours you work, your home address, SSN or any other type of information what would cause such an obtuse response..

You are completely disregarding the distinct possibility that he is an international assassin, and that Big Gravel is monitoring him via his ISP.

Polaris OBark 10-06-22 05:59 PM

I wear street clothes to commute whenever I feel the need to cultivate a new pimple on my arse.

fooferdoggie 10-06-22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 22649991)
I wear jeans riding my bike more than I wear anything else. Each person is different.

I am a woodworker but I had to give up on jeans because I am lucky if they last 4 months before I wear out the crotch. so no more cotton. I just got these for regular weather I have waterproof pant s for winter https://www.rei.com/product/185218/r...ath-pants-mens
I wear them in my shop.

duffer1960 09-17-23 07:00 AM

I'd like to wear jeans while out riding my bike, because I'm often heading somewhere (e.g., a meeting with a service professional like a dr. or dentist, a sports event, the grocery store, etc.) where I don't want to be wearing tights and changing isn't really convenient.

I normally wear Levi's 550 (Relaxed fit) jeans & I'm a bit fat, with fat thighs, and wear a big waist. I've found the crotch space is okay for normal activities (sitting still, walking), but has nowhere near enough room for riding. Who if anyone makes jeans (or another casual-style pant) that have generous crotch space suitable for cycling?

Nachoman 09-17-23 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by VRC (Post 22648644)
I’m going to try velosambas, stretchy jeans, and a wool tee and see how it feels for a 10 mile, semi sporty commute and working. Wish me luck. Advice/commisseration welcome.

Edit: so people can stop piling on. I am not worried or think I will be smelling bad at work. It does not matter what I do for a job.
Seeking stories about people commuting in “normal” but bike appropriate clothes. Thanks or just ignore.

You might not care. But your co-workers might.

SkinGriz 09-17-23 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 22651311)
Paul H commuted 12.5 miles to work in the Washington D.C. area. Would a road bike turn all the traffic signals green as well as make stop signs and rush hour traffic disappear too?:rolleyes:

I think a fixed gear does that. And gives you an invisible force field that protects against car collisions.