Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-20-20 11:12 AM

I hope the settlement included a ball bat to the drivers collarbone.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21429155)
$1.79 is the going rate in my metro area; I suspected that it would be cheaper in the hinterlands and wasn't terribly surprised when I saw $1.19. Seeing that 99¢, another 20 miles down the road, though? Yow.

Weird. If they're within a short distance, one would assume the stations pay the same price.

WhyFi 04-20-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429184)
Weird. If they're within a short distance, one would assume the stations pay the same price.

I would imagine that, in this case, the difference is more a function of demand, rather than supply, but I don't know.

ls01 04-20-20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21429176)
I hope the settlement included a ball bat to the drivers collarbone.

lol, no such luck. She was 83 years old @ the time of the accident. She might not even be around @ this time.

seedsbelize 04-20-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429114)
I think this weekend was the first time anyone could get a test, without going through hurdles.

I'm still confused as to (1) whether an antibody test actually exists, and (2) do we know with certainty that someone who has had the virus won't get sick again in the next year?

What was farmed?

Organic vegies, and some fruit. With rototillers, and horses. And lots of hand work. Loading and unloading compost and the like. We kept ourselves active up to 80 hours per week during peak season. We made a whopping $5/hr in our best season. We ran a portable sawmill in the off season, and sometimes did some logging with those same horses. I don't believe there is harder work to be had, than logging with horses in the wintertime. Fortunately, the wives had office jobs.

rjones28 04-20-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21428844)
I'd go to a movie, but I've always preferred going solo to a weekday matinee, so I wouldn't be within sneeze-range of anyone, anyway (and I'd wipe my armrests, etc).

tmi

kissTheApex 04-20-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429145)
So, I just recieved word that my court case is over. They settled, we settled whatever. Checks in the mail....
So as promised.....

Reading the list made me light headed. Glad that it’s all behind you now.

Regarding the driver, the less I say, the better.

rjones28 04-20-20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428909)
You can still drink with goggles on.

Straws?

seedsbelize 04-20-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429145)
So, I just recieved word that my court case is over. They settled, we settled whatever. Checks in the mail....
So as promised. The damages from my accident to me physically. I broke 10 ribs on the right side and had a punctured lung that did not require the needle, thank god. Broken right clavicle, and small tear in the rotator cuff. I landed on the point of my right shoulder.
​​​​​​ . I elected to let the clavicle heal on it's own rather than have another surgery. I was told by my original Orthopod that the hardware would be permanent. I didnt like the idea of a metal plate and screws in my chest cavity with my internal organs. "What would happen if I went down again?" They didnt like that question. So no surgery for Joe.
The new Ortho, was great, told me he would have put me in the old harness but to much time had passed by then. I did a few months of P.T. I still get some real gnarley muscle spasms in my upper right back. And push ups are not real comfortable.

I did manage to scare the shirt off of the nursing staff when they were giving me a spinal block so I could breath. I passed out. Hard. I was severely dehydrated. And my blood pressure was low. When they sat me up to do the tap, lights out! Next thing I know I was being pumped full of (saline?) By I.V and shaking uncontrolably. Was frightening.

kudos. Don't spend it all in one place.
I was trembling uncontrollably while having my finger stitched up. I felt nothing beyond the needles in the bone, for numbing purposes. Perhaps it was related to shock, which I did not knowingly experience throughout the whole affair. Cool as a cucumber throughout, except for that.

rjones28 04-20-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428914)
I hear gasoline is under a dollar per gallon in some places, still over $3 here but I haven't purchased any for weeks. I haven't started my car in a week but tomorrow I need to get groceries again. Mrs John hasn't started her car in a month.

Yesterday I took the mountain bike out for a spin and while I was climbing a rocky fire road 5 men on horseback joined me from an equestrian trail. It was weird, like a group ride but I was the only bike. One of the guys to my left started chatting and we had a nice conversation until they turned off on a different road.

Gas prices are pretty much the same around here. $2.14 for regular, when I filled up the Sportwagen on Friday.

big john 04-20-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429184)

For the most part they can charge whatever they want.

rjones28 04-20-20 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428997)
Someone told me they saw a woman with a hole cut in her mask so she could smoke.

Brilliant.

ls01 04-20-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21429237)
Reading the list made me light headed. Glad that it’s all behind you now.

Regarding the driver, the less I say, the better.

I'm trying to be the bigger man about the driver. While I was lying in the street she asked me several times what I was doing in the middle of the street. I was on the "bike path" it crosses a street. She turned onto it and got me. I realize she was in shock etc. It was still not easy to stop my mouth from giving her what for.

seedsbelize 04-20-20 11:40 AM

Gas is $15.89/ liter, down from a high in the 22 range. We don't need no stinkin competition

Velo Vol 04-20-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429221)
Fortunately, the wives had office jobs.

How many did you have?

ls01 04-20-20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429265)
Gas is $15.89/ liter, down from a high in the 22 range. We don't need no stinkin competition

Is that dollars?

BillyD 04-20-20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428997)
Someone told me they saw a woman with a hole cut in her mask so she could smoke.

Poor tormented soul. I feel for her, I’ve been there.

seedsbelize 04-20-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429259)
I'm trying to be the bigger man about the driver. While I was lying in the street she asked me several times what I was doing in the middle of the street. I was on the "bike path" it crosses a street. She turned onto it and got me. I realize she was in shock etc. It was still not easy to stop my mouth from giving her what for.

One would hope she lost her license. My folks were still driving into their 90s. It got to the point that I would no longer ride with eithet of them.

WhyFi 04-20-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429259)

Oof.

ls01 04-20-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21429275)

was pretty common on construction sites too. Back in the day.

ls01 04-20-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429280)
was pretty common on construction sites too. Back in the day.

Dont ask me how I know

seedsbelize 04-20-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429273)
Is that dollars?

Pesos. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to the dollar

WhyFi 04-20-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429250)
For the most part they can charge whatever they want.

Just based on my own driving in the last month, or rather the distinct lack thereof, a part of me wonders if they were concerned about bumping up against the shelf-life of the fuel that they had in the tanks.

big john 04-20-20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21429290)
Just based on my own driving in the last month, or rather the distinct lack thereof, a part of me wonders if they were concerned about bumping up against the shelf-life of the fuel that they had in the tanks.

I don't know how long they can keep it in those tanks until it gets stale but I'd bet most of them don't care. I worked at a number of gas stations. One thing that surprised me is the tanker truck drivers told us about dumping regular gas in the high-test tanks.

big john 04-20-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21429275)

When I started riding I used to carry cigarettes in my seat bag. Bumpy rides would shake the tobacco loose and some of it would fall out. My friend brought cigs along on our dirt bike rides and sometimes when we stopped he had a pile of loose tobacco and some hollow paper tubes.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21429290)

Gas should store for a few months, so I don't believe that explains pricing at your local station (unless in extremely seasonal market).

ls01 04-20-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429277)
One would hope she lost her license. My folks were still driving into their 90s. It got to the point that I would no longer ride with eithet of them.

I hope that when that day comes, I will be able to say enough. I understand it's hard to give up mobility but the consequences are to big.
The hard part for me is I never saw the car. There was a cyclist standing over his bike, texting or adjusting his computer. I looked up and saw his reaction and knew I was in trouble by the expression on his face. I looked down and saw the bumper just as it hit my leg.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...58b0ee0758.jpg
3 days later the outline of the bumper in my leg
It happened in a flash. I know my perception is most likely squed, but I know it was a Buick Le Sabre from the bumper and grill I saw in that flash.

BillyD 04-20-20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429114)
I think this weekend was the first time anyone could get a test, without going through hurdles.

Going through hurdles can be tough. It's much better to go over them.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62733e529e.png

ls01 04-20-20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429288)
Pesos. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to the dollar

whew, thought you might be in Canada.

abshipp 04-20-20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21429111)
Yes it is a possibly snooty medical term. But I am not as snooty as some of those physicians who pronounce centimeter as "sohn-ti-meter," that's really over the top IMO. One of my partners does it. :rolleyes:

I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Although, if I wasn't involved in cycling, I can't really imagine hearing anyone around me say the word "centimeter" at all. Living in the Midwest and in manufacturing means that my life is completely dominated by SAE measurement.