Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 11-17-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22310974)
Are you guys talking bikes/gear or cartoon bikes/gear. It gets confusing. :foo:

It's supposed to be confusing - it distracts from the suckitude of trainer rides. Now I can look at a course distance and elevation profile, do a little math WAGery and select the fake wheelset that'll save me 7 seconds on an hour long ride. Brilliant.

Eric F 11-17-21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22310956)
I like them on flattish courses, 'specially where I haven't seen much by way of cohesive groups. Since there's no drafting or weight/aero power-ups on the TT bikes, I feel like it's a more honest personal benchmark of the effort.

Valid point. I'm not significantly concerned with analyzing my fitness in great detail. I know when I'm riding better, and feeling stronger. That's enough for me.

seedsbelize2 11-17-21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

Break the second or third one and look for a new wheel. Single spokes break.

datlas 11-17-21 02:45 PM

I am at 6340 miles for the year. I think that’s plenty, but if the weather permits I do have a shot at 7K for the year. 6.5 is almost a sure thing. One of the retired geezers I ride with has over 11K, which is impressive for a guy of 76.

genejockey 11-17-21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22310988)
How, theoretically, could a vaccine do that?

From the site of the group recruiting subjects:

"What we are studying
In this research study we want to learn more about a new drug called nasal Protollin as a possible new treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD). We want to see if this way of giving the Protollin is safe and whether it stimulates the body’s white blood cells to remove toxic amyloid from the brain and ultimately improve cognition. This will be a dose escalating (gradually increasing the dose in different subjects) study, which means we want to find the highest dose of Protollin that is safe to take."

genejockey 11-17-21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22311028)
It's supposed to be confusing - it distracts from the suckitude of trainer rides. Now I can look at a course distance and elevation profile, do a little math WAGery and select the fake wheelset that'll save me 7 seconds on an hour long ride. Brilliant.

Some folks feed constant wattage numbers to Zwift and time different setups with the same theoretical rider on the same course. Differences among the top bikes aren't enormous, but are in the "Marginal Gains" range. Check Zwift Insider, for example. Or google it.

indyfabz 11-17-21 03:01 PM

Long Beaver Moon eclipse Thursday night/Friday morning :

The Beaver Moon lunar eclipse on Nov. 19 will be the longest of the century. Here are its stages explained. | Space

Mojo31 11-17-21 03:16 PM

Bad hombres.

Notable that 2/15 are from TN.

WhyFi 11-17-21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311060)
Some folks feed constant wattage numbers to Zwift and time different setups with the same theoretical rider on the same course. Differences among the top bikes aren't enormous, but are in the "Marginal Gains" range. Check Zwift Insider, for example. Or google it.

Yeah, I know - this is what I was referring to. ZI tests for flats and for climbs, but most courses are somewhere in between, so the best set-up may not be at the very top of either chart.

genejockey 11-17-21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311042)
I am at 6340 miles for the year. I think that’s plenty, but if the weather permits I do have a shot at 7K for the year. 6.5 is almost a sure thing. One of the retired geezers I ride with has over 11K, which is impressive for a guy of 76.

I'm about 1000 miles behind you, but that includes virtual.

genejockey 11-17-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22311115)
Yeah, I know - this is what I was referring to. ZI tests for flats and for climbs, but most courses are somewhere in between, so the best set-up may not be at the very top of either chart.

Horses for courses. I use the Ultimate for hilly rides and the Aeroad for races, assuming I remember to think about it. Just don't try to do a crit with the TT bike, unless you really want to do all your own work!

BillyD 11-17-21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22310962)
Broke a spoke towards the end of my ride today.

That means I need new wheels, right?

Yep, you must encourage yourself.

genejockey 11-17-21 03:56 PM

I keep seeing these two threads juxtaposed:

"Chain Fell Off Mid-Pack"
and
"Does Anyone Bring A Spare Chain?"

- which, despite what you might think, were NOT started by the same person.

Mojo31 11-17-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22311086)
Bad hombres.

Notable that 2/15 are from TN.

Should have added the photo:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ade3a2ee6.jpg
TN leads the nation.

datlas 11-17-21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311162)
I keep seeing these two threads juxtaposed:

"Chain Fell Off Mid-Pack"
and
"Does Anyone Bring A Spare Chain?"

- which, despite what you might think, were NOT started by the same person.

Never break the chain.

Here is my favorite cover version:

Velo Vol 11-17-21 04:07 PM

Statistically possible, but very unlikely.

The December drop-off is real.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22311172)
TN leads the nation.

Notable in that it is so out of character with the people.

genejockey 11-17-21 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311181)
Never break the chain.

Here is my favorite cover version:

https://youtu.be/jVLNB3d-2cA

I actually had a chain fall off once. Not just dropped, but literally fell off. I had replaced a chain because it had elongated, but some dirty rotten so-and-so had filched the quick link from the package. So I reused the one from the old, worn out chain, which broke as I stood up out of the saddle to try and keep my momentum going up the rise after a fast downhill. I was lucky - I was going over 30 mph, but neither crashed nor crushed the jewels on the top tube. But I did have to make The Call Of Shame.

abshipp 11-17-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22311041)
Break the second or third one and look for a new wheel. Single spokes break.

Previous owner had a chain go over the largest cog and chewed up the DS spokes. I'm actually surprised I haven't had any issues until now.

If we've got them in stock I might just go ahead and replace all the DS spokes while I'm at it.

LAJ 11-17-21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22311020)
Tenure, much like unions, is a mixed blessing. A necessary evil, if you will.

Hence my wording.

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 04:34 PM

Outdoor miles? I’m at 6560 outdoor miles but I cheat… I’m retired. Then, again, my 40 season average is 6155 outdoor miles/season and I did work 27 of those years.

11k outdoor miles in the north is insane, retired or not.

datlas 11-17-21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22311246)
Outdoor miles? I’m at 6560 outdoor miles but I cheat… I’m retired. Then, again, my 40 season average is 6155 outdoor miles/season and I did work 27 of those years.

This does include Zwift miles, truth be told, but I estimate those fake miles to be only about 200-ish.

datlas 11-17-21 04:39 PM

New rider on today’s ride has a beautiful blue Lynskey she said she bought second hand from original owner who only put a few hundred miles on it. It’s likely 15-20 years old, has full 10 speed Chorus groupset and a beautiful blue paint job. I shoulda taken a picture.

Trsnrtr 11-17-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22311184)
Statistically possible, but very unlikely.

The December drop-off is real.

My December average over 39 seasons is 286 outdoor miles. December miles for me are feast or famine - could be 600 miles or could be zero.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22311258)
My December average over 39 seasons is 286 outdoor miles. December miles for me are feast or famine - could be 600 miles or could be zero.

I pulled up the log from when I was a more serious cyclist and some years there wasn't a drop-off (from November) at all.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...94f2f8e8b2.png

Eric F 11-17-21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311187)
I actually had a chain fall off once. Not just dropped, but literally fell off. I had replaced a chain because it had elongated, but some dirty rotten so-and-so had filched the quick link from the package. So I reused the one from the old, worn out chain, which broke as I stood up out of the saddle to try and keep my momentum going up the rise after a fast downhill. I was lucky - I was going over 30 mph, but neither crashed nor crushed the jewels on the top tube. But I did have to make The Call Of Shame.

I had my chain snap while moving up the outside of a high-speed pack ride, going north of 30mph. I hit the ground, and my bike did a few somersaults alongside the pack. Thankfully, I was the only one to go down. My helmet did its job and sacrificed itself to save my mediocre-quality grey matter. I made the 1/2 mile walk back to my car with a minor headache, some missing patches of skin, and a few scraped up bike parts.

My other chain snap was in a MTB race that I felt like I had a strong chance to finish on the podium. First steep climb inside the first mile of the race, riding in the top 10 - snap!. I fixed it and finished the ride at a comfortable pace.