Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

rjones28 07-28-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21612368)
is there any penalty for not winning?

Not necessarily.

Velo Vol 07-28-20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21612368)
is there any penalty for not winning?

Are you thinking about racing and not winning?

LesterOfPuppets 07-28-20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21611869)
Usually right around Labor Day. I'm probably gonna skip it this year.

I'm definitely not gonna do any type of bike racing anytime soon.

Well, if there was a point-to-point TT with 5 minute start offsets and low entry fees, I might go for that.

Velo Vol 07-28-20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21612401)
I'm definitely not gonna do any type of bike racing anytime soon.

Same.

Not due to any viruses, though.

Velo Vol 07-29-20 04:06 AM

Slow night. Everyone must be low energy.

datlas 07-29-20 04:11 AM

Good morning Velo Vol !

bampilot06 07-29-20 05:18 AM

Alarm didnít go off this morning for my ride. Was hoping to get in 40 ish before heading off to work. Itís only a two day, I come back friday and have a week off but rain is in the forecast until sept. :twitchy:

Bah Humbug 07-29-20 05:52 AM

Not even fake miles this morning; way too sleepy.

seedsbelize 07-29-20 06:31 AM

I have never been one who could exercise first thing in the morning. But then I never had to go to a desk job either. That might change things. The jobs I had were manual labor. On the job exercise.

WhyFi 07-29-20 06:33 AM

The morning lazies must be contagious - not feelin' it, either. I might still get out later, but we've got family stuff between now and then, the zoo has finally re-opened, so my motivation could go either way.

seedsbelize 07-29-20 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21612747)
Alarm didnít go off this morning for my ride. Was hoping to get in 40 ish before heading off to work. Itís only a two day, I come back friday and have a week off but rain is in the forecast until sept. :twitchy:

What will be the advantages of living in Williamsburg over Hampton roads?

rjones28 07-29-20 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21612678)
Slow night. Everyone must be low energy.

https://twitter.com/WKRN/status/1288414263716061184

I slept an additional ten minutes today.

rjones28 07-29-20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21612823)
The morning lazies must be contagious - not feelin' it, either. I might still get out later, but we've got family stuff between now and then, the zoo has finally re-opened, so my motivation could go either way.

I'll get in about 6.7 miles before work. ;)

bampilot06 07-29-20 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21612827)
What will be the advantages of living in Williamsburg over Hampton roads?

The schools in newport news are pretty bad. Yorktown, Williamsburg, and chesapeake have the best schools. Chesapeake is on the other side of the water and was farther away than we were interested in. Yorktown was our first choice, but we were pretty specific in what we wanted in a house and a neighborhood and the same house we are buying in williamsburg would have been 75k more.

Williamsburg is a little more cycle friendly than newport news. Newport news does not have any bike lanes or mups, williamsburg has a few, and the lay out of the city is different which also helps. Newport news is really long and skinny. We have three major roads that run parallel the length of the city, and depending on the time of the day I would not recommend riding a bike on one. Hence why my bike routes look so funky, Iím stuck to back roads.

WhyFi 07-29-20 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21612830)
I'll get in about 6.7 miles before work. ;)

Well I'm glad that the fire still burns brightly for some Addicts. :p

WhyFi 07-29-20 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21612838)
The schools in newport news are pretty bad. Yorktown, Williamsburg, and chesapeake have the best schools. Chesapeake is on the other side of the water and was farther away than we were interested in. Yorktown was our first choice, but we were pretty specific in what we wanted in a house and a neighborhood and the same house we are buying in williamsburg would have been 75k more.

Williamsburg is a little more cycle friendly than newport news. Newport news does not have any bike lanes or mups, williamsburg has a few, and the lay out of the city is different which also helps. Newport news is really long and skinny. We have three major roads that run parallel the length of the city, and depending on the time of the day I would not recommend riding a bike on one. Hence why my bike routes look so funky, Iím stuck to back roads.

What area/neighborhood will you be in? The In-laws are in the Burton Woods, according to Google Maps, though I've never heard them refer to it as such. They're about 4-5 miles north of Historic Jamestown, in any event.

bampilot06 07-29-20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21612860)
What area/neighborhood will you be in? The In-laws are in the Burton Woods, according to Google Maps, though I've never heard them refer to it as such. They're about 4-5 miles north of Historic Jamestown, in any event.

Its the villages of westminister. Itís located really close to the outlet mall, heading west on route 60. Already planned some routes on strava, looking forward to the new scenery.

bampilot06 07-29-20 07:14 AM

Just checked out burton woods, were prolly about 6 miles away. The route that planned will take me by you when you are there, Iíll be going around freedom park and then around the reservoir.

WhyFi 07-29-20 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21612870)
Its the villages of westminister. It’s located really close to the outlet mall, heading west on route 60. Already planned some routes on strava, looking forward to the new scenery.

Across from NewTown? Cool. There's a Conte's right there. They supposedly have a couple rides out of there each week; I've never come across one, but I'm usually there in the late fall or over the winter, and the cyclists seem to be of the warm and sunny variety.

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21612871)
Just checked out burton woods, were prolly about 6 miles away. The route that planned will take me by you when you are there, I’ll be going around freedom park and then around the reservoir.

Yeah, they're just off of Centerville Rd, right by Freedom Park. I usually loop the reservoir at least a time or two when I'm there. It's mostly good, though there are a few sketchy stretches. Centerville itself is pretty decent for riding - good shoulder over most of it. I just wouldn't take News Rd or Longhill on the way there or on the way back - wooded, winding, no shoulder to speak of and people routinely do 50+. I've seen a few (non-recreational) cyclists on those roads and I think they're nucking futs. Monticello/5000 is much better. Follow 5000 out and you'll hook up with the Cap Trail.

abshipp 07-29-20 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21612838)
Newport News.

I wonder if I will ever make it out there.

My brother was born in Newport News and I was born in Hampton while my father was stationed at Langley. We moved to New Mexico when I was one so I have no memories of the place.

bampilot06 07-29-20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21612919)
I wonder if I will ever make it out there.

My brother was born in Newport News and I was born in Hampton while my father was stationed at Langley. We moved to New Mexico when I was one so I have no memories of the place.

Not missing much. The traffic is out of control, and to this day I have yet to figure out why. I donít know where all these people are going, and why they are where they are.

bampilot06 07-29-20 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21612892)
Across from NewTown? Cool. There's a Conte's right there. They supposedly have a couple rides out of there each week; I've never come across one, but I'm usually there in the late fall or over the winter, and the cyclists seem to be of the warm and sunny variety.

Yeah, they're just off of Centerville Rd, right by Freedom Park. I usually loop the reservoir at least a time or two when I'm there. It's mostly good, though there are a few sketchy stretches. Centerville itself is pretty decent for riding - good shoulder over most of it. I just wouldn't take News Rd or Longhill on the way there or on the way back - wooded, winding, no shoulder to speak of and people routinely do 50+. I've seen a few (non-recreational) cyclists on those roads and I think they're nucking futs. Monticello/5000 is much better. Follow 5000 out and you'll hook up with the Cap Trail.

Good to know. one of my routes had me coming back on long hill. Iíll have to switch that up. The other route will take me through colonial williamsburg, to joint rochambeu and back around to join route 60.

phrantic09 07-29-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21612823)

I went, it sucked, my knee is killing me. Since I switched to the Vector pedals Iíve had some twinges here and there, I canít seem to get the cleat right

datlas 07-29-20 10:01 AM

Good ride in. Am I the only one who thinks the “Local Legend” feature on Strava is lame-o?

datlas 07-29-20 10:09 AM

I just scanned the page. What are these morning lazies you people speak of? :foo: