Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 11-18-21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22312741)
Man that sounds good about now. I shoulda hit Total Wino on my way home.

Alas the casa is booze free ATM. Need to get some Maker's for the egg nog (we got a jug of fake nog - AKA nog flavoured oat milk), and some tasty porter and/or stout.

I used to get Silk soy-nog for the wife. A good oat-nog world be awesome. I'll have to see if Oatly makes some.

LesterOfPuppets 11-18-21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22312752)
I used to get Silk soy-nog for the wife. A good oat-nog world be awesome. I'll have to see if Oatly makes some.

Oh I lied, we got almond nog actually.

https://d2d8wwwkmhfcva.cloudfront.ne...a3858ef1f9.png

LesterOfPuppets 11-18-21 06:38 PM

Think I might get some Chobani Oat nog when the time comes to reup.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d4ea9f0d25.jpg

WhyFi 11-18-21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22312761)
Oh I lied, we got almond nog actually.

Ooohh - I like almond milk, but it's not kind to my wife's stomach.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22312767)
Think I might get some Chobani Oat nog when the time comes to reup.

The Chobani oat stuff has been okay... but not nearly as good as Oatly Full Fat. I'll hold out.

BillyD 11-18-21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22312513)
my cycling mileage for the year to date is a mere 2,570km to date. not bad for a commuter. lousy for a serious cyclist.

Seriousness is overrated.

rjones28 11-18-21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22312698)
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is sent from the gods.

I currently have some local porter in the house.

gnome 11-18-21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22312713)
Does it get windy? I hate windy.

You get used to windy. It's relatively easy to deal with. just keep pedalling You may go a bit slower than usual. at least it isn't steep hills. I'm allergic to those.

LesterOfPuppets 11-18-21 06:57 PM

Wow, amazing pic posted by the t-birds yesterday

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...01&oe=619B54B5

Velo Vol 11-18-21 07:02 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce4fa6e7ad.png

LesterOfPuppets 11-18-21 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22312787)

Weird head. Vulture?

Oooh, I lived on that map in 1995-1996

Velo Vol 11-18-21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22312783)
Wow, amazing pic posted by the t-birds yesterday

It wasn't taken using DougRNS's cell phone.

Velo Vol 11-18-21 08:25 PM

Oh dear. West Coasters need some East Coast help with their choo choos.

abshipp 11-18-21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22312429)
So much for re-lacing it, but...

:bday: Happy New Wheelset Day!!! :bday:

Weighing my options at the moment. May end up relaxing the hubs in to some new rims. I managed to find some direct replacement rims at one of our distributors, but there also may be some upgrade opportunities.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22312454)
I'm just thankful you chose to ignore me with respect to that Time. ;)

Sorry about your cracking wheel.

Time is 50cm c-c seat tube, 55.5cm c-c top tube. Definitely a medium frame. Fairly aggressive though. ;)

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22312466)
I still haven't gotten around to unlacing my old Dura Ace wheels from the Ritchey so I can rebuild the wheels, which I really SHOULD do. Or buy a new wheelset for it and be done. But those hubs are so sweet!!!

I've got a few hubs I'd really love to build a set of wheels from. Just need the bikes to out them on :)

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22312501)
Sad

I'd been noticing some creaking noises when out of the saddle recently. Seems to correlate, so I guess finding out may solve a problem.

Bit the real question is - how do I rebuild these?

Hubs are Origin8 cartridge bearing with a nice quiet freehub. 20F and 24R. There are some polished H Plus Son Archetypes in stock at a distributor...

Mojo31 11-18-21 09:17 PM

Bummer, a smidge small.

big john 11-18-21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22312736)
I don't like long climbs, but I will take them over a strong headwind any day. The only time I wanted to get off my bike and cry was because of wind.

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22312778)
You get used to windy. It's relatively easy to deal with. just keep pedalling You may go a bit slower than usual. at least it isn't steep hills. I'm allergic to those.

The worst is climbing into a cold headwind. The first time I went to Mill Creek Summit (a 6 mile climb following a 9 mile climb) I had tonsillitis and only a knit jersey and it was cold with a rude headwind. Probably 1989. They waited at the top for me and someone said "You don't look so good". I was ok after that awful climb was over.

I've done the Mount Wilson New Year's Day ride 16 times, at least the climbing part of it. I remember it being so windy I could hear the sand rattling against my glasses. Starts with the same 9 mile climb as the previous sufferfest and besides wind there has been rain and cold. Why would I ride to the top of a 5500 foot mountain on Jan 1? Then you have to come back down with more cold wind when you are wet. I started carrying lots of extra clothes but the last time I did it my friend was not prepared for the 20 degree descent and she suffered terribly. I was just talking to her about that this Tuesday.
Last Jan 1 I did a ride at the coast. It was a lot easier.

I remembered climbing Mill Creek from the other side and the winds were awful and swirling around. My friend and I were on the last part of the climb when a strong sidewind pushed me toward the center of the road, lucky there were no cars and my friend was pushed out of my way. Scared the crap out of me but during the following descent the wind was behind me and suddenly I was going way too fast and it was eerily quiet. I did not like that feeling and I was worried if the wind switched again it would be bad news. On the same road on a different day a friend got blown off of his bike crossing a bridge.

I did a charity ride where the headwind was so strong that people were walking their bikes on flat ground. I had never seen that before.

I can talk about wind a lot.

Velo Vol 11-18-21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22312892)
Bit the real question is - how do I rebuild these?

I would take it to a bike shop and have them do it, probably.

Velo Vol 11-18-21 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22312959)
Why would I ride to the top of a 5500 foot mountain on Jan 1?

You have issues.

big john 11-18-21 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22312963)
You have issues.

Ain't no denying that.

Velo Vol 11-18-21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22312978)
Ain't no denying that.

I've gotten chilled at that elevation during the summer, here in the quasi-north.

mvnsnd 11-19-21 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22312512)
Yeah, I think that I've got 2 or 3 cadence/speed sensors around, but I'm not about to strap one on my bike just because my smart trainer cadence reading isn't as steady as I'd like. I am wondering, though, if I can unpair the cadence from the trainer and pair the PM crankset instead... :foo: Whenever Zwift connects to the trainer under the "Controllable Trainer," it automatically grabs it for the Cadence, as well, so I don't know if it's all or nuthin'. I'll try tomorrow.

You can select whatever sensor Zwift can find for any of the sensor types.

mvnsnd 11-19-21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22312476)
Im just happy to have accurate power data again. It seems as though my V3 have been dropping a significant amount of data for a while. So while NP looks okay, averages have been low and effort power has been off too.

Do you have the single cell battery in the pedals or two of the smaller ones?

I have the single cell in my V3's and have only had dropout issues when the battery was on the verge of death.

phrantic09 11-19-21 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22313112)
Do you have the single cell battery in the pedals or two of the smaller ones?

I have the single cell in my V3's and have only had dropout issues when the battery was on the verge of death.

Single cell. It was happening even with fresh batteries.

ls01 11-19-21 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22312484)
My doctor said, "You're too fat!"

I said, "I want a second opinion!"

He said, "Okay, you're ugly, too!"

No respect at all.

ls01 11-19-21 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22312529)
I had a doctor literally say Youre fat. You need to lose weight. I had ballooned to 265 in college.

Some of the best medical advice Ive ever been given.

pshhh! I hear it twice a year.....I hoping for the last time though.

LAJ 11-19-21 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22312959)
The worst is climbing into a cold headwind. The first time I went to Mill Creek Summit (a 6 mile climb following a 9 mile climb) I had tonsillitis and only a knit jersey and it was cold with a rude headwind. Probably 1989. They waited at the top for me and someone said "You don't look so good". I was ok after that awful climb was over.

I've done the Mount Wilson New Year's Day ride 16 times, at least the climbing part of it. I remember it being so windy I could hear the sand rattling against my glasses. Starts with the same 9 mile climb as the previous sufferfest and besides wind there has been rain and cold. Why would I ride to the top of a 5500 foot mountain on Jan 1? Then you have to come back down with more cold wind when you are wet. I started carrying lots of extra clothes but the last time I did it my friend was not prepared for the 20 degree descent and she suffered terribly. I was just talking to her about that this Tuesday.
Last Jan 1 I did a ride at the coast. It was a lot easier.

I remembered climbing Mill Creek from the other side and the winds were awful and swirling around. My friend and I were on the last part of the climb when a strong sidewind pushed me toward the center of the road, lucky there were no cars and my friend was pushed out of my way. Scared the crap out of me but during the following descent the wind was behind me and suddenly I was going way too fast and it was eerily quiet. I did not like that feeling and I was worried if the wind switched again it would be bad news. On the same road on a different day a friend got blown off of his bike crossing a bridge.

I did a charity ride where the headwind was so strong that people were walking their bikes on flat ground. I had never seen that before.

I can talk about wind a lot.

Same. Wind is a normal thing here. We're not that far from Wyoming.