Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

datlas 06-28-22 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22556454)
Just rip it out.


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22556469)
This

I am happy to try. But what about fibers from the backing board?? Somewhere I read there is fiberglass in there. The Saturn is so old, maybe there is even asbestos? I joke about the asbestos, but am actually serious about the fiberglass. Am I overthinking this??

t2p 06-28-22 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556489)
I am happy to try. But what about fibers from the backing board?? Somewhere I read there is fiberglass in there. The Saturn is so old, maybe there is even asbestos? I joke about the asbestos, but am actually serious about the fiberglass. Am I overthinking this??

yeah - asbestos long gone before the mid 80's ...(hopefully) ...

prob good idea to wear a mask - 'nuisance mask' - something like a N95 or similar if you are working with / near fiberglass insulation and similar

t2p 06-28-22 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22555975)
Not everyone is cut out for East Coast cycling.

agree

have one kid in OH near Cincy - another in NY / NYC

two areas night and day

Mojo31 06-28-22 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556489)
I am happy to try. But what about fibers from the backing board?? Somewhere I read there is fiberglass in there. The Saturn is so old, maybe there is even asbestos? I joke about the asbestos, but am actually serious about the fiberglass. Am I overthinking this??

Most likely over thinking it. What are you going to do it there is fiberglass? You can't just paint it with house paint.

There is also probably some type of foam under the fabric which would make painting difficult if there is.

Sounds like it's time for that Miata.

datlas 06-28-22 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22556507)
Most likely over thinking it. What are you going to do it there is fiberglass? You can't just paint it with house paint.

There is also probably some type of foam under the fabric which would make painting difficult if there is.

Sounds like it's time for that Miata.

Liked

Deal4Fuji 06-28-22 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556375)
I posted this in SaturnForums and got a reasonable suggestion, but lemme bounce this off any of the thrifty geezer car guys:

The headliner is sagging and has several holes/tears in it. I don't really care about the aesthetics but it's low enough it's touching my head. Google says a DIY headliner replacement is going to take a few hours and I know it will cause me great frustration, so I am seeking a simpler alternative.

Best idea so far is to take out headliner and paint the backing board with latex paint. Seems practical, any comments?

I've heard of cutting some small slits in the fabric and spraying quick drying adhesive spray to the roof. If it doesn't work you're only out $15 and probably 15 minutes

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...15e13f34ab.jpg

aliasfox 06-28-22 09:11 AM

If it's the fabric itself that's falling apart, could you get a bolt of black/grey/beige/whatever color from a fabric store, some double sided tape (or glue), and maybe an industrial stapler? I'm thinking:

1. Take out the headliner that's falling apart, including whatever foam backing that's there
2, Get a piece of cardboard from whatever your last large purchase/delivery was, and cut that cardboard down to the same size as the fiberglass roof panel
3. wrap the cardboard in the fabric that you purchased, using double sided tape/glue on the passenger compartment facing side, and stapling around the edges where you've wrapped the fabric to the other side
4. Install the fabric-wrapped cardboard in the ceiling - I would imagine you'd want to use something like epoxy to make it more secure.

I think this would work reasonably if the headliner area is reasonably flat, or at least doesn't have much in the way of compound curves.

LesterOfPuppets 06-28-22 09:14 AM

Uh-oh. There's a new autonomous car in town. Cruise. Hard to see because there's too much chicken grease on my phone but it says "self-driver in training" on it.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...03a74944cf.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 06-28-22 09:15 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22556507)

Sounds like it's time for that Miata.

An answer doesn't get any more correct than this.

Mojo31 06-28-22 09:24 AM

The Saturn headliner is a fiber based board to which foam back fabric is attached. The fabric is typically glued onto the fiber board. Over time and due to exposure to heat, etc., the foam deteriorates and the glue releases.

To do it right, you need to take the headliner out of the car, remove the old foam/fabric, and glue on new foam/fabric. One thing you might run into is the plastic clips and such holding it all together in the car may be brittle from age. You are likely to break some removing the headliner. If you really want to do this, you might look for a shop that does that type of thing (they are out there). The money you spend getting it done will likely be less that you spend on parts and materials, and will certainly be worth the hassle of doing it yourself. Use the time for more enjoyable activities.

Time to get that Miata. :D

Mojo31 06-28-22 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22556530)
An answer doesn't get any more correct than this.

I get paid for my advice, you know.

Mojo31 06-28-22 09:28 AM


Originally Posted by aliasfox (Post 22556527)
If it's the fabric itself that's falling apart, could you get a bolt of black/grey/beige/whatever color from a fabric store, some double sided tape (or glue), and maybe an industrial stapler? I'm thinking:

1. Take out the headliner that's falling apart, including whatever foam backing that's there
2, Get a piece of cardboard from whatever your last large purchase/delivery was, and cut that cardboard down to the same size as the fiberglass roof panel
3. wrap the cardboard in the fabric that you purchased, using double sided tape/glue on the passenger compartment facing side, and stapling around the edges where you've wrapped the fabric to the other side
4. Install the fabric-wrapped cardboard in the ceiling - I would imagine you'd want to use something like epoxy to make it more secure.

I think this would work reasonably if the headliner area is reasonably flat, or at least doesn't have much in the way of compound curves.

When you do that on your car, let us know how it goes! I give it a week, if that.

t2p 06-28-22 09:30 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f1509d6cb.jpeg

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556513)
Liked

you could do a headliner like the one in this car

maybe a dash cover also

aliasfox 06-28-22 09:33 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22556548)
When you do that on your car, let us know how it goes! I give it a week, if that.

I'd try that before I just spray paint the ceiling, at least.

My headliner's still in place at the moment - that said, I drive a VW and park it in Manhattan half the time. I think the likelihood of major mechanical faults (because it's a VW), or major body damage (because it has to traverse Manhattan) might be higher than the car reaching an old-enough age where the interior starts crumbling. But who knows, I might luck out - ask me again in 15 years or so :-D

genejockey 06-28-22 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22556529)
Uh-oh. There's a new autonomous car in town. Cruise. Hard to see because there's too much chicken grease on my phone but it says "self-driver in training" on it.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...03a74944cf.jpg

Saw one of those the other day down in Menlo Park. Maybe we could help train them by driving erratically around them. You know, tailgate them, cut them off then slow way down, make left turns from the right lane in front of them - all the stuff that drives you buggy.

BTW, I don't know for sure what happened, but this weekend I was out front washing my car, and I hear the sound of a car braking suddenly - not a squeal of tires, because cars don't do that anymore. I looked up and there was a Tesla Model 3 about 3 houses down, which seemed to have braked suddenly. There was nothing around it. Nobody on the sidewalk, no other cars, no cyclists, nothing. I wondered if this was the sudden, unexplained braking that I've heard they do sometimes when all the nannies are turned on.

Eric F 06-28-22 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22556575)
Saw one of those the other day down in Menlo Park. Maybe we could help train them by driving erratically around them. You know, tailgate them, cut them off then slow way down, make left turns from the right lane in front of them - all the stuff that drives you buggy.

BTW, I don't know for sure what happened, but this weekend I was out front washing my car, and I hear the sound of a car braking suddenly - not a squeal of tires, because cars don't do that anymore. I looked up and there was a Tesla Model 3 about 3 houses down, which seemed to have braked suddenly. There was nothing around it. Nobody on the sidewalk, no other cars, no cyclists, nothing. I wondered if this was the sudden, unexplained braking that I've heard they do sometimes when all the nannies are turned on.

Maybe a cat ran across the street. Just guessing...

genejockey 06-28-22 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22556546)
I get paid for my advice, you know.

Do you still give the same recommendation if I'm balding and I don't want to wear a hat?

genejockey 06-28-22 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22556579)
Maybe a cat ran across the street. Just guessing...

In that neighborhood, more likely a squirrel. Too many cars, going too fast for cats to survive long.

seedsbelize2 06-28-22 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556375)
I posted this in SaturnForums and got a reasonable suggestion, but lemme bounce this off any of the thrifty geezer car guys:

The headliner is sagging and has several holes/tears in it. I don't really care about the aesthetics but it's low enough it's touching my head. Google says a DIY headliner replacement is going to take a few hours and I know it will cause me great frustration, so I am seeking a simpler alternative.

Best idea so far is to take out headliner and paint the backing board with latex paint. Seems practical, any comments?

Is there any good reason to paint it even? Even you can't out-thrift me. Glue some magazine pics up there.
Contact paper. Is that still a thing?

seedsbelize2 06-28-22 09:59 AM

Into the city and back home before 11. Both ways by bus. A PR.

datlas 06-28-22 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22556590)
Is there any good reason to paint it even? Even you can't out-thrift me. Glue some magazine pics up there.
Contact paper. Is that still a thing?

Decoupage? I like that idea!

Mojo31 06-28-22 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22556585)
Do you still give the same recommendation if I'm balding and I don't want to wear a hat?

In your case, I advise this: Amazon.com: Toppik Hair Building Fibers, Dark Brown Hair Fibers, Hair Thickener for Thinning Hair, Hair Care to Create the Appearance of Thicker Hair, 0.42 OZ Bottle : Beauty & Personal Care

seedsbelize2 06-28-22 10:08 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556599)
Decoupage? I like that idea!

Tks. I couldn't think of the word

Mojo31 06-28-22 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556599)
Decoupage? I like that idea!

Pin-up girls or bike pron?

Velo Vol 06-28-22 10:44 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22556375)
I posted this in SaturnForums and got a reasonable suggestion

How many posts do you have at SaturnForums?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.