Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Trsnrtr 09-06-22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638414)
I think that's true. I wish our resident Addiction vet would pop in once in awhile, but times change and people change. I hope she is ok. I don't think I have seen anything on her Strava feed for awhile....

I saw her on Strava a couple weeks ago.

genejockey 09-06-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22638510)
It might never be again. Those rides were in winter and one year there was ice on the road and a couple riders slid out.

I was actually thinking about this while riding the other day. Mrs. GeneJockey is currently fixated on Buffalo (again), so I was thinking, "How many months a year will I be able ride outside?", the answer to which is not "12", for either Buffalo or Pittsburgh, whereas that IS the answer for San Mateo.

Now all I have to do is buy a lottery ticket.

Mojo31 09-06-22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22638508)
It's probably plastic.

And who names their bike brand after a bird? Can you imagine buying a Pigeon brand bike?

Eric F 09-06-22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22638569)
And who names their bike brand after a bird? Can you imagine buying a Pigeon brand bike?

Some guy named Marcus apparently thought it was a good idea.

big john 09-06-22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22638550)
I was actually thinking about this while riding the other day. Mrs. GeneJockey is currently fixated on Buffalo (again), so I was thinking, "How many months a year will I be able ride outside?", the answer to which is not "12", for either Buffalo or Pittsburgh, whereas that IS the answer for San Mateo.

Mrs. John said her niece and her husband sent a link to a place they like in Maine. It's beautiful, has land and a barn and horse corrals but these people grew up in SoCal. I asked if they realize the area gets 6 feet of snow per year and has high temps below freezing for a couple months. They have not responded.

datlas 09-06-22 04:45 PM

I was able to catch the last few Km of today’s Vuelta stage live. It was both exciting and heartbreaking. I won’t spoil, but if you watch it you will see what I mean. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Eric F 09-06-22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638591)
I was able to catch the last few Km of todayís Vuelta stage live. It was both exciting and heartbreaking. I wonít spoil, but if you watch it you will see what I mean. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Sudden and harsh. I hope the lingering effects are minimal.

genejockey 09-06-22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22638581)
Mrs. John said her niece and her husband sent a link to a place they like in Maine. It's beautiful, has land and a barn and horse corrals but these people grew up in SoCal. I asked if they realize the area gets 6 feet of snow per year and has high temps below freezing for a couple months. They have not responded.

Mrs. GeneJockey reples to the same question with "I grew up near there" - which is true, kinda. The first 11 years of her life, she was in Arizona, then Florida. Then she moved to the Toe of New York, near Erie PA when her Mom and Dad split up, and lived there 6 years. Then she went to college for 5 years, about an hour farther South. Then she moved to Pittsburgh for 2 years. Then she moved out here, which was 40 years ago. So, she didn't REALLY "grow up there".

But I didn't point that out.

genejockey 09-06-22 05:22 PM

I'm at work today, in air conditioned comfort, watching the temps go up on Weather Underground. Today it was headed for an EVEN HOTTER day than yesterday, which is hard to imagine, since it got up to 106 in San Mateo. It was already 104 by 1 PM. I figured there would be another 3 hours for it to get hotter and it might hit 110, and of course, no matter how many windows we leave open, every morning the house is warmer than it was the day before - we have no AC. So I was worried for Mrs. GJ and for the doggies.

But just about noon, the wind started to pick up. And the temps dropped. It's now 97, so the wind probably feels like a blast from hell, but it's 10 degrees cooler than yesterday.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5211831249.jpg

datlas 09-06-22 05:39 PM

My cycling friend who lives in Menlo Park says he got totally dehydrated from riding in the heat yesterday. It’s really hot out there.

datlas 09-06-22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638659)
My cycling friend who lives in Menlo Park says he got totally dehydrated from riding in the heat yesterday. It’s really hot out there.

They also don’t have A/C. I suggested he go cool off in the basement but apparently that’s not a west coast thing. He tells me he is hanging out in Costco for the coolness.

big john 09-06-22 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22638659)
My cycling friend who lives in Menlo Park says he got totally dehydrated from riding in the heat yesterday. Itís really hot out there.

Saturday I asked if there would be a water stop on the short ride we were doing. They hadn't planned on one but I told them I was a water ***** and need more than most riders. I mentioned that I live in a constant state of dehydration during the hot weather. I usually do ok in the heat if I have enough water.

Even today, I drank 3 bottles and a 16oz soda on our 3 hour ride. Once at home I started drinking glasses of water. I get tired of it, actually. I drank a glass just before I sat down to write this and I'll get another in a minute.

It's almost 90 in the living room with our little a/c on and the news just said there may be rolling blackouts starting in the next 30 minutes. Hope not.

rjones28 09-06-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22638550)

:innocent:

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...eA&oe=633F46B6

MoAlpha 09-06-22 06:12 PM

I was able to catch the last few Km of todayís Vuelta stage live. It was both exciting and heartbreaking. I wonít spoil, but if you watch it you will see what I mean. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Some seriously bad luck on display.

Mojo31 09-06-22 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22638577)
Some guy named Marcus apparently thought it was a good idea.

Must have been during his baby making years.

Your one of those guys that doesnít carry repair kits, arenít you?

Like the blue. Much better than black.

Mojo31 09-06-22 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22638692)

Iíll take 107.

seedsbelize2 09-06-22 06:49 PM

Turning it on in a few minutes.

gnome 09-06-22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22638569)

I'm fairly sure that there is a Pigeon branded bike. my memory dredges up Flying Pigeon. I think it was a Chinese single speed utility bike/roadster.

Mojo31 09-06-22 08:07 PM

State Bicycle makes a single speed named Pigeon.

Eric F 09-06-22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22638726)
Must have been during his baby making years.

Your one of those guys that doesnít carry repair kits, arenít you?

Like the blue. Much better than black.

Must have been. Itís the only explanation.

I donít like bike bags, but I always carry tube and tools. How can that be?

rjones28 09-06-22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22638752)
I'm fairly sure that there is a Pigeon branded bike. my memory dredges up Flying Pigeon. I think it was a Chinese single speed utility bike/roadster.

The Flying Pigeon

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...292fcc04fa.png

Mojo31 09-06-22 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22638828)
Must have been. Itís the only explanation.

I donít like bike bags, but I always carry tube and tools. How can that be?

You buy jerseys like WhyFi and tuck them in the abdominal protrusion. Thatís how.

WhyFi 09-06-22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22638850)
You buy jerseys like WhyFi and tuck them in the abdominal protrusion. That’s how.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to bag up that POS and ship it back. :roflmao2:

indyfabz 09-06-22 09:02 PM

Youngstown bound tomorrow morning. The ride home will be fewer miles than the drive out there.

datlas 09-07-22 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22638861)
Youngstown bound tomorrow morning. The ride home will be fewer miles than the drive out there.

Safe travels!