Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

rsbob 03-27-24 10:07 PM

2 hours riding 30 virtual with 1300’ zone 3. Thanks Sierra for the tip on how to set up custom workouts in ZWIFT - worked great.

Sierra_rider 03-27-24 10:38 PM

Our local Wednesday night XC MTB series had its first round tonight. It was far from a technical course, so mostly was about who could put out the most power. I drilled it with some pros on the first lap and gapped the guys in my class. Once I was comfortable with my lead, I let the pros go and maintained to the finish.

6 miles of warm up laps. The race itself was 12 miles, only about 1050' of climbing, and 45 minutes of rolling time. Average power of 270 watts and a normalized of 310.

Sierra_rider 03-28-24 06:08 PM

2 rides today...I took my main road bike out, made it a couple miles down the hill and the front shifter took a dump on me. I did new shift cables a couple months ago and it doesn't feel like a snapped cable, so I'm suspecting something more sinister. I'll probably take it apart tonight to inspect...not too surprised if it is worn-out, as I've replaced all the components at some point except the brifters and brake calipers(Ultegra 8000 mech.) It's a stupid reason to want a new bike, but this as just added to the jonesin' I've been having towards a new bike.

I took my back-up bike/weight weenie bike out for ride 2 of the day. That I did without incident and ended up setting a bunch of climbing PRs along the route. One of them was on a rather shallow 18 mile climb. I'll never be in the top 10 on that particular climb, as all the top times were from when the Tour of California rolled through and they established a large breakaway on it.

Anyway, ride one: 4 miles, 400' climbing
ride two: 47 miles, 4700' climbing.

georges1 03-29-24 06:29 AM

I rode my 1999 trek slr 6700 MTB to the neighboring town which is 2km far from me, the bike is extremely responsive and fast. I went to the train station for buying my monthly train ticket, going back and forth was just done in 20 min.

jaxgtr 03-29-24 05:39 PM

Took 10 days off the bike as I tweaked my knee after my dog took me out when he decided to go say hello to the geese in our neighborhood. I really need to register him to chase geese off of golf courses and neighborhoods, only he likes to jump into the water being the water dog that he is.

Got in 49 fake miles and 2700 ft.

rsbob 03-29-24 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23198397)
2 rides today...I took my main road bike out, made it a couple miles down the hill and the front shifter took a dump on me. I did new shift cables a couple months ago and it doesn't feel like a snapped cable, so I'm suspecting something more sinister. I'll probably take it apart tonight to inspect...not too surprised if it is worn-out, as I've replaced all the components at some point except the brifters and brake calipers(Ultegra 8000 mech.) It's a stupid reason to want a new bike, but this as just added to the jonesin' I've been having towards a new bike.

I took my back-up bike/weight weenie bike out for ride 2 of the day. That I did without incident and ended up setting a bunch of climbing PRs along the route. One of them was on a rather shallow 18 mile climb. I'll never be in the top 10 on that particular climb, as all the top times were from when the Tour of California rolled through and they established a large breakaway on it.

Anyway, ride one: 4 miles, 400' climbing
ride two: 47 miles, 4700' climbing.

Just goes to show that every broken shifter has a silver lining made of PRs (and maybe a new ride!)

Sierra_rider 03-29-24 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23199440)
Just goes to show that every broken shifter has a silver lining made of PRs (and maybe a new ride!)

The shifter ended up being a minor repair, I fixed it, but had to take the cable out in the process. I've got the cables back in the frame, but didn't get the derailleurs dialed in before going out to dinner with some family tonight(I was feeling lazy today.) As far as the new ride...there will be some big developments next week lol.

The crappy weather was back today, a snow/rain mix...so some indoor riding on Rouvy. Did a Lake Tahoe route as well as Prague. I had my gravel bike on the trainer for the first time, I managed to spin out the low-gravel gearing on a virtual descent. Anyway, a total of around 31 miles and only 2100' of fake climbing.

georges1 03-30-24 05:17 AM

went three times again to my bike tech in the neighboring town at 2km, first time was for repairing the lights of the giant , adding reflectors and bell. Second time was for a general check up of my trek 6700 SLR and third time for a general check up of my trek 6500 SLR. Everything was done quickly and for each travel it was fast nearly 20 min back and forth

rsbob 03-30-24 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23199546)
The shifter ended up being a minor repair, I fixed it, but had to take the cable out in the process. I've got the cables back in the frame, but didn't get the derailleurs dialed in before going out to dinner with some family tonight(I was feeling lazy today.) As far as the new ride...there will be some big developments next week lol.

The crappy weather was back today, a snow/rain mix...so some indoor riding on Rouvy. Did a Lake Tahoe route as well as Prague. I had my gravel bike on the trainer for the first time, I managed to spin out the low-gravel gearing on a virtual descent. Anyway, a total of around 31 miles and only 2100' of fake climbing.

Nice power output on Lake Tahoe.

rsbob 03-30-24 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by georges1 (Post 23199652)
went three times again to my bike tech in the neighboring town at 2km, first time was for repairing the lights of the giant , adding reflectors and bell. Second time was for a general check up of my trek 6700 SLR and third time for a general check up of my trek 6500 SLR. Everything was done quickly and for each travel it was fast nearly 20 min back and forth

You are lucky you can just pop-in. Around here, all repairs, no matter how minor, require an appointment and then a two week wait to get in.

Sierra_rider 03-30-24 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23199803)
Nice power output on Lake Tahoe.

Thanks. I've been transitioning to a more "pyramidal" approach to my training recently. Still heavy in low intensity minutes, but I'll dip into tempo at certain points of the ride...that was my aim with Tahoe at least.

A side note, my idea of pyramidal isn't the same as sweet spot. I'd say that pyramidal still skews heavily towards low intensity work.

georges1 03-30-24 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23199804)
You are lucky you can just pop-in. Around here, all repairs, no matter how minor, require an appointment and then a two week wait to get in.

I know . The bike mechanic knows me for over 15 years and assembled several of my mountain Bikes and upgraded my hybrid and my favorite road bike, I have even given him back then valuable spare parts, a bike that he gave to a customer and one of my frames that he will repair and build as his own project as I don't have space anymore for road bike projects. For a complete assembly of a bike project, the deadline is two weeks and then he calls me.

Sierra_rider 03-30-24 12:42 PM

Another indoor session today, this time Zwift. About 11 virtual miles and 3k fake feet.

I thought I had enough energy to do some FTP interval training, but failed in my first interval, turned it into a zone 2 ride. I had to take a couple weeks off because of illness earlier in the month, so I've been putting in big hours the last 2, trying to make up for it. Between that and a couple of demanding races, the fatigue is starting to sneak up on me. That's ok, as next week should be an easy week for me. I'm just trying to dial in my form for my first big "A" race of the season on April 19th.

jaxgtr 03-30-24 02:41 PM

Got in 82 when this decided to embed itself in my rear wheel today. What is so weird, I think the tubeless sealant might be inside the wheel, as there was none in the tire, and I put in about 90 mil last week. Could not put a tube in on the road as I could not get the screw out, so I had to make the call of shame. It took a ratchet and socket to get it out. Unfortunately, will have to replace a rim strip and rear tire, but the wheel falls under Bontrager no questions asked 1 yr warranty program. New wheel here by end of next week. I can deal with the minor cost not to have to endure a major wheel replacement cost. Luckily, my wife was about 3 miles away at a road side flower place, so I saved even more money. :thumb:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...42f6eb753a.jpg

rsbob 03-30-24 08:04 PM

43 with 1400’ Zone 2. 50s today and cloudy with a big headwind on the return.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...07d9145b4.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...752314067.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...512ed3403.jpeg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5b58fc33.jpeg

WaveyGravey 03-31-24 08:13 AM

Yesterday, March 30, 2024, I rode 30 miles. First ride in 2 weeks.

Sierra_rider 03-31-24 02:14 PM

More virtual miles today, this time back on main road bike, with repaired shifter. I was starting and stopping a couple different Rouvy routes until I settled on one. All together, about 14 virtual miles and 4000' of fake climbing. The bulk of the riding was on the virtual Col du Granon in France...rode tempo up that at 285ish watts for an hour.

I ended up at 43 hours and 580 miles total for the month of March. I was on track for 60 hours, but had a couple of light weeks because of the RSV.:crash:

georges1 03-31-24 02:19 PM

Got to the half of my local trail with the Giant Bronco due to heavy rain. The Giant was a real pleasure to drive in heavy rain and in mud. The Continental Cross King tire provides phenomenal grip under rainy and muddy condition. The XT 780 T/XT T8000 transmission was and is working superbly.

WaveyGravey 03-31-24 03:27 PM

20 Miles today

rsbob 03-31-24 06:56 PM

32 at Zone 2 at an 18 MPH ave. Rest day tomorrow 0 argh.

JochenRindt 03-31-24 06:59 PM

30 miles on the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail. And then 6 miles of spinning afterward. 642 miles total for March.

TomM 04-01-24 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23200088)
Got in 82 when this decided to embed itself in my rear wheel today. What is so weird, I think the tubeless sealant might be inside the wheel, as there was none in the tire, and I put in about 90 mil last week. Could not put a tube in on the road as I could not get the screw out, so I had to make the call of shame. It took a ratchet and socket to get it out. Unfortunately, will have to replace a rim strip and rear tire, but the wheel falls under Bontrager no questions asked 1 yr warranty program. New wheel here by end of next week. I can deal with the minor cost not to have to endure a major wheel replacement cost. Luckily, my wife was about 3 miles away at a road side flower place, so I saved even more money. :thumb:

Having moved from JAX, I do not miss the road debris.

jaxgtr 04-01-24 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TomM (Post 23201585)
Having moved from JAX, I do not miss the road debris.

yea, I had to deviate from my original route as I did not know they were replacing the asphalt and I wanted nothing to do with that as the road was basically scrapped and new asphalt had not been started, so I had to go down Philips Highway which I never ride down as it is a mine field of sketchy drivers and debris

rsbob 04-02-24 10:16 AM

Rest day, so did a 5 mile dog hike with 1,200’ gain in one of the local forests. While walking, met a nutritionist from a local hospital, so we chatted for miles. She was probably late 20s/early 30s and was huffing and puffing on the climbs, which made me feel good, even though some of the steep sections also took my breath away. When I hike, I would say more than 50% of the time I meet someone in a medical profession (Go figure - they are into a healthy activity). Harlee - the dog - had a great time meeting people and pulling me up the steep sections - almost a scramble in sections. Here’s 60 lb Harlee after the hike.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...73a6a7db6.jpeg

WaveyGravey 04-02-24 02:08 PM

26 miles for me today. 75 miles so far this week. Goal is 100. Got bad weather coming in tonight.