Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Second hand advice, what's "too old"? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235804)

stampz 07-31-21 12:08 PM

Second hand advice, what's "too old"?

Potentially stupid question, which I think I already know the answer too.

I am looking at picking up a new winter trainer/"second" bike. My heart wants to go shiny and spend at least £1k on something...if I can even find anything in the current bike drought.

However, a friend of mine who is getting out of cycling has offered to sell me his Cannondale CAAD 8 2014 for £300.

It's in great condition, 105 groupset, 8.6kg...he hasn't ridden it for at least 2 years, with some new cables and a new chain it would look good as new...but it's bugging me that it's 7 years old and I don't know if it should be.

So how old is too old? Should I steer clear and go with something new but less specced, or am i being stupid?

Its this version https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Can...Bike-2014/2PHC

Thanks!

genejockey 07-31-21 12:34 PM

Apart from my 2020 Canyon, not one of my bikes is newer than 14 years old. A bike that was a good bike in 2014, if lightly ridden and well maintained is a good bike today. Use the extra 700 quid for new tires, cables, bar tape, and a saddle, and still have most of it left over!

stampz 07-31-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22165513)
Apart from my 2020 Canyon, not one of my bikes is newer than 14 years old. A bike that was a good bike in 2014, if lightly ridden and well maintained is a good bike today. Use the extra 700 quid for new tires, cables, bar tape, and a saddle, and still have most of it left over!

This is exactly what I was think....common sense prevails

Bah Humbug 07-31-21 12:56 PM

Bike drought and you have a line on a CAAD for 300GBP for the trainer? Yes all day - wifey just bought a Fuji Sportif with 8-speed Microshift for trainer duty for double that...

Seattle Forrest 07-31-21 01:02 PM

Blood pressure meds, or yelling at kids on your lawn.

zatopek 07-31-21 01:37 PM

In my I-own-far-too-many-nice-bikes rotation, one of my favorite rides is a 2011 Giant TCR SLR. It, like the CAAD in which you have interest, is aluminum. A well cared for bike can last many, many years.

Broctoon 07-31-21 02:13 PM

Wait, 300 quid for a really nice seven year old Cannondale? Why did you not already grab it before he changes his mind? 2014 is not old. I mean, it is for something like an iPhone, or a fruit fly. If it had been at the bottom of the ocean for the past six years, that’s a problem. But you said it’s in great shape. I’d jump on that deal!

genejockey 07-31-21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by seattle forrest (Post 22165546)
blood pressure meds, or yelling at kids on your lawn.

hey!

veganbikes 07-31-21 02:30 PM

Nothing is too old. Heck would love a nice lugged Italian bike with Campy 50th.

stampz 07-31-21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Broctoon (Post 22165623)
Wait, 300 quid for a really nice seven year old Cannondale? Why did you not already grab it before he changes his mind? 2014 is not old. I mean, it is for something like an iPhone, or a fruit fly. If it had been at the bottom of the ocean for the past six years, that’s a problem. But you said it’s in great shape. I’d jump on that deal!

Ha! Thanks for this I think I will :-)

Champlaincycler 07-31-21 02:37 PM

I bought a 1989 Cannondale race bike for $50 to use on my trainer. Had to add a riser stem as it had a ridiculous saddle to bar drop for this old man. I like it so much that I take it out on the road occasionally, challenging to ride a 53/39 crankset but a fun diversion.

freeranger 07-31-21 03:47 PM

My road bike is a 2006 LeMond-and I have no problems with it, people I ride with have newer bikes. Mine is in the shop less (as in not at all!) I also have a mtn.bike-'98 frame, later on the rest of it. But no parts on it later than 2004. Again, no problems at all. They do get regular maintenance. A well maintained bike, unless badly wrecked or similar, will last a good long while. 2014 would be modern to me. If well maintained and in good shape, would not hesitate.

Kimmo 07-31-21 06:02 PM

My best treadly is fifteen years old, and is a 6.3kg aero weapon. No envy for newer bikes.

tempocyclist 07-31-21 08:58 PM

I hope you've snapped up that bike by the time you read this! That's not even bordering on too old. It'd make a good bike not just for the turbo but for actually riding too!

Outrider1 08-01-21 10:59 AM

Take that deal!

Inusuit 08-01-21 02:58 PM

Two of my bikes are over 30 years old. My road bike is a 2013 I bought last year, basically new old stock. Sure some components are outdated but the bikes fit my needs. I wouldn't hesitate on a 2014 at that price.

Symox 08-01-21 09:32 PM

Nothing wrong with older bikes. A well maintained older bike can often outperform a neglected newer bike so there is always that.

Yes, many of the technologies have advanced but some (like going from 10 to 11 speeds) are just incremental. Some of the bigger advances like STI brifters, external bottom brackets and dual pivot brakes have been around for a while so I wouldn't hesitate getting a bike 7 years old if the price was attractive.

sw20 08-02-21 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by stampz (Post 22165482)
Potentially stupid question, which I think I already know the answer too.

I am looking at picking up a new winter trainer/"second" bike. My heart wants to go shiny and spend at least £1k on something...if I can even find anything in the current bike drought.

However, a friend of mine who is getting out of cycling has offered to sell me his Cannondale CAAD 8 2014 for £300.

It's in great condition, 105 groupset, 8.6kg...he hasn't ridden it for at least 2 years, with some new cables and a new chain it would look good as new...but it's bugging me that it's 7 years old and I don't know if it should be.

So how old is too old? Should I steer clear and go with something new but less specced, or am i being stupid?

Its this version https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Can...Bike-2014/2PHC

Thanks!

Steer well clear, but give me your friends contact details :)

Bob Ross 08-02-21 06:48 AM

it's bugging me that it's 7 years old and I don't know if it should be.

So how old is too old?

Not 7 years.

Bikes from the 1980s and earlier will need their rear dropouts cold-set to accomodate modern axle widths, and if you don't want to do that it can be tough finding hubs and freewheels to keep a bike of that vintage running.

But 2014!?!? That's practically new!

Andy Somnifac 08-02-21 06:54 AM

I don't think I own a bike NEWER than something from around 2013-2014.

For that price, in the middle of pandemic-induced shortages? If you don't buy it, I will.

Iride01 08-02-21 09:18 AM

Sounds like a deal. But make sure the bike fits you. If it's way too big or way too small for you then you will be wasting money.

Components date a bike more than the frame and fork. So while those components are several versions old, they are still good.

Until you ride enough to want something better, it's a good enough bike at a reasonable price for today.

topflightpro 08-02-21 10:23 AM

Mr. Belvedere is correct. This seems like a great deal.

Dan333SP 08-02-21 10:49 AM

I'd probably pay that much for a lightly used 105 groupset (I still run 5700 and need to replace some bits soon), it's like getting a really good frame, finishing bits, and wheels for free!

Was just watching some NorCal Cycling YT videos last night and saw a guy on a CAAD10 contesting the wins in races where most people are on brand new aero carbon bikes. It's still very much a great bike by any standards.

caloso 08-02-21 11:23 AM

Jump on that deal! You could ride it all winter on the turbo and then freshen up the wheels and tires for spring and you'll have a hella fast sleeper bike.

Also, people are practically giving away really nice 10-speed rim brake wheels, so keep your eyes open for those too.

Broctoon 08-02-21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22167832)
Also, people are practically giving away really nice 10-speed rim brake wheels, so keep your eyes open for those too.

Truth! My area's online classified ads are filled with good 10-speed alloy wheel sets, usually $200 or less. That's for really nice stuff. The ones with a little wear or styling more than 10 years old, you can get for a lot less. Seems everyone wants carbon now, or disc brakes.