Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bike Forum insider jokes and jargon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222180)

gugie 01-23-21 02:54 PM

Bike Forum insider jokes and jargon

There are some things that get posted here now and then that people who just started posting in the BF C&V section probably have no clue what we're talking about. Here's a place for secret decoder ring lingo can be posted.

gugie 01-23-21 02:56 PM

Grant Petersen references

Savings and Loan: Rivendell
George Bailey: Grant Petersen

Rivendell has asked it's customers at least twice to help bail them out when they've had a cash crunch, just as happened in It's a Wonderful Life

gugie 01-23-21 03:03 PM

Local Portlandia stuff

The Neal Lerner Invitational route: Back in 2017 BF C&V regular @nlerner made a visit to Portland on some academia scam (not that there's anything wrong with that), so we put together a ride with many PNW members, some coming as far away as Seattle to meet up. @Andy_K and I have done this route so many times we just call it a "Lerner".

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1b0a39e41d.jpg

More insider info: if you invite Neal to a ride, you're almost guaranteed it won't rain. In the picture above it had rained on and off for 57 days in the Portland, Oregon area. That day was the first full day of sunshine for the year.

jdawginsc 01-23-21 03:07 PM

The Bent fork picture...

cb400bill 01-23-21 03:09 PM

Drew

gugie 01-23-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jdawginsc (Post 21891294)
The Bent fork picture...

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21891300)
Drew

Definitions, please! Links to original source if available.

SurferRosa 01-23-21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21891285)
if you invite Neal to a ride, you're almost guaranteed it won't rain. In the picture above it had rained on and off for 57 days... That day was the first full day of sunshine for the year.

"Witch!"

southpawboston 01-23-21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21891313)
Definitions, please! Links to original source if available.

Originally Posted by jdawginsc (Post 21891294)
The Bent fork picture...

Drew

I've been away from C&V for a while (as I've becomevmore C&V myself) so the lingo may have evolved but I'll take a stab-- To 'drew' is to grind off unused frame features and braze-ons, e.g., shifter cable stops, derailleur hanger, etc... Used derogatorily and/or to infer diminished value of the frame for doing so. And the 'bent fork' refers to the unexplained visual phenomenon of perfectly aligned forks appearing bent rearward in photographs, as if having been in a crash, thus the critical comments of "bent fork" that inevitably ensue...

Did I nail it?

canklecat 01-23-21 04:03 PM

"Fork's bent": The fork is fine. We're just trolling.

"The fork looks bent": The fork looks bent.

base2 01-23-21 04:23 PM

Dial it up to 400 watts.

Massive guads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ike-lance.html

70-11
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-70t-pic.html

jdawginsc 01-23-21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by southpawboston (Post 21891331)
I've been away from C&V for a while (as I've becomevmore C&V myself) so the lingo may have evolved but I'll take a stab-- To 'drew' is to grind off unused frame features and braze-ons, e.g., shifter cable stops, derailleur hanger, etc... Used derogatorily and/or to infer diminished value of the frame for doing so. And the 'bent fork' refers to the unexplained visual phenomenon of perfectly aligned forks appearing bent rearward in photographs, as if having been in a crash, thus the critical comments of "bent fork" that inevitably ensue...

Did I nail it?

Perfectimundo!

Vintage_Cyclist 01-23-21 04:58 PM

Quote: southpawboston

Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Drew
I've been away from C&V for a while (as I've becomevmore C&V myself) so the lingo may have evolved but I'll take a stab-- To 'drew' is to grind off unused frame features and braze-ons, e.g., shifter cable stops, derailleur hanger, etc... Used derogatorily and/or to infer diminished value of the frame for doing so.
I have a vague recollection of the term 'Drew' matching this definition and being hung with that title, because of a forum poster named Drew, who had posted some single speed mutilation atrocity he committed on a frame.

Wildwood 01-23-21 05:00 PM

i ain't touchin this one.
1 man's insider, might not be another's funny.

Pass.

edit: or for the JARGON part
maybe things like?
The difference between:
refurbish,
refinish
restoration

High end
mid-range
low end
BSO

Classic
Vintage
Junk

Holy Grail
cheapo copies

fat & flat is the new fast
thin and hard makes you tired faster

jdawginsc 01-23-21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21891273)
There are some things that get posted here now and then that people who just started posting in the BF C&V section probably have no clue what we're talking about. Here's a place for secret decoder ring lingo can be posted.

Gugification? I think I spelled it wrong.

And I can't remember the term many use for screwing up something while repairing it...poop...age hurts.

Reynolds 01-23-21 05:02 PM

My baby bolts were stollen.
SLAMDANCING!

southpawboston 01-23-21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21891457)
BSO

That's a good one.

Originally Posted by jdawginsc (Post 21891461)
Gugification?

Or The Full Gugie?

There's also UJB - Ubiquitous Japanese Bike, referring to the general broad abundance of high quality but otherwise unremarkable Japanese bikes from the 70s-80s.

Also gas pipe - cheap thick-steel tubing.

Dfrost 01-23-21 05:50 PM

Gugificazione! (Note the all important exclamation mark.)
Definition: from Italian. General term for bike modifications performed by Mark Guglielmana. Bike is typically older, but always steel framed. Custom racks are a common characteristic.

Example:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Bicycles/...IMG_4539-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Bicycles/...IMG_4597-M.jpg

Andy_K 01-23-21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by southpawboston (Post 21891522)
Or The Full Gugie?

Full Gugie is a moving target. Every time I think I’ve seen him inflict everything he can on a bike, he comes up with some new, more cunning customization.

gugie 01-23-21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdawginsc (Post 21891461)
Gugification? I think I spelled it wrong.

And I can't remember the term many use for screwing up something while repairing it...poop...age hurts.

Gugificazione on both counts

bikingshearer 01-23-21 06:03 PM

Drew

Did I nail it?

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 21891453)
I have a vague recollection of the term 'Drew' matching this definition and being hung with that title, because of a forum poster named Drew, who had posted some single speed mutilation atrocity he committed on a frame.

This pretty well covers for "Drew." All I can add is that it can be a verb, as in "don't drew that frame by hacksawing off the derailleur hanger") or a noun (as in " He hacksawed that derailleur hanger off? What a Drew.").

thinktubes 01-23-21 06:09 PM

DKO flipper (archaic)

nlerner 01-23-21 06:14 PM

$3.50: the automatic value of any bike that makes its way out of the valuation sub forum.

SurferRosa 01-23-21 06:15 PM

^ pronounced, "tree fiddy."

"Party ride"

Ask @Wildwood. :lol:

gugie 01-23-21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21891379)
"Fork's bent": The fork is fine. We're just trolling.

"The fork looks bent": The fork looks bent.

Excellent distinction.

gugie 01-23-21 06:24 PM

I've been away from C&V for a while (as I've becomevmore C&V myself)...

Good to see you posting here. Still need to meet up at the "next" FFD, whenever that will be.