Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Found my sit-bones today! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1236631)

pgjackson 08-13-21 12:54 PM

Found my sit-bones today!

After years and years of riding with a perfectly level saddle I decided to drop the nose a couple of mm just to see what would happen...and man what a difference! Before, my taint would take a beating and I just figured that was normal. Dropping the nose just the slightest bit raised the wide back of the saddle just enough to greet my sit-bones comfortably. Not a bit of discomfort on today's ride. Finally felt like I was sitting on a seat. FYI, if you, too, are feeling the pain in your taint, try dropping the nose just a tiny bit and see if it works.

Voodoo76 08-13-21 03:56 PM

I'm very sensitive to seat angle. Once you find the angle that works an inexpensive digital level is an easy way to get a very repeatable setup.

Bald Paul 08-13-21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo76 (Post 22183466)
I'm very sensitive to seat angle. Once you find the angle that works an inexpensive digital level is an easy way to get a very repeatable setup.

There are apps available for your smartphone that will make it work like a digital level. You can read in degrees or percentage.

ofajen 08-14-21 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo76 (Post 22183466)

Yes. Just make sure you have a two-bolt seatpost that is continuously adjustable.

Otto

freeranger 08-14-21 07:14 AM

And the most comfortable position for the saddle can change over the years. Have a saddle on my road bike that became uncomfortable, after riding on it for a few years. Changed the tilt, and that was all that was needed. Wonder how many have given up on a saddle, when a simple adjustment may have been all that was necessary.

pgjackson 08-14-21 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by freeranger (Post 22184031)
And the most comfortable position for the saddle can change over the years. Have a saddle on my road bike that became uncomfortable, after riding on it for a few years. Changed the tilt, and that was all that was needed. Wonder how many have given up on a saddle, when a simple adjustment may have been all that was necessary.

Good point. I also wonder how many are out there torturing themselves on an improperly positioned saddle.

Sy Reene 08-14-21 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22183564)
There are apps available for your smartphone that will make it work like a digital level. You can read in degrees or percentage.

Since a smartphone won't be long enough to lay across the full length of a saddle, you'd have to be careful where exactly you're resting it I presume. Also to point out the potentially not obvious, also check the level of the floor on which your bike is standing if you're not always going to be setting up your saddle with your bike in the same place. Alternatively, figure out the ideal angle difference between saddle angle and eg. your top tube (if your top tube is not curved) as a means to calibrate.

jrobe 08-14-21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22183226)
Before, my taint would take a beating and I just figured that was normal.

There is no doubt that a saddle adjustment can make a difference in comfort. The biggest factor though is still the shape and configuration of the saddle which is highly individualized for every rider. It took me trials and errors with about 6 different saddles before I stumbled on the perfect saddle for me that I could now ride almost all day comfortably. Minor level adjustments for my perfect saddle wouldn't even make that much difference.

If someone is just living with butt pain, it is worth experimenting with different saddles. Unfortunately, it is trial and error (I used eBay). From my experience, it has very little to do with the cost or the brand name of the saddle.

pgjackson 08-14-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jrobe (Post 22184203)
There is no doubt that a saddle adjustment can make a difference in comfort. The biggest factor though is still the shape and configuration of the saddle which is highly individualized for every rider. It took me trials and errors with about 6 different saddles before I stumbled on the perfect saddle for me that I could now ride almost all day comfortably. Minor level adjustments for my perfect saddle wouldn't even make that much difference.

If someone is just living with butt pain, it is worth experimenting with different saddles. Unfortunately, it is trial and error (I used eBay). From my experience, it has very little to do with the cost or the brand name of the saddle.

Good point. If you are in pain then something needs to be changed. The most comfortable seat I ever had was a Brooks B17. But as a weight weenie, that big, leather, comfy saddle just wasn't to be on my current bike.

Badger6 08-14-21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ofajen (Post 22184028)
Yes. Just make sure you have a two-bolt seatpost that is continuously adjustable.

Otto

Or, make sure it is a single bolt seat post that is continuously adjustable with out the hassle of getting two bolts properly torqued.

ofajen 08-15-21 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22184130)
Since a smartphone won't be long enough to lay across the full length of a saddle, you'd have to be careful where exactly you're resting it I presume.

I put a wide ruler along the top of the saddle touching the highest points front and rear and then use the phone on top of that to get a reproducible reading.

Otto

Larry Lem 1 08-16-21 11:27 AM

Gee, now I'll have to experiment.