Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Remove glue residue after sticker removal (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239032)

PimpMan 09-18-21 05:01 AM

Remove glue residue after sticker removal

After removing sticker from frame i have layer of glue residue left that don't remove even when using brake cleaner or WD-40. only scrubbing for 10 minutes nonstop removes it. Is there an easier way to take off that residue without damaging the paint job?

shelbyfv 09-18-21 05:14 AM

Designate one of your stable to scrub it?

Bent4life 09-18-21 05:48 AM

adhesive remover

Hardware stores sell a product called Goof Off. It claims it can be used on automotive paint surfaces. I've used it in the past. Works great

rumrunn6 09-18-21 06:31 AM

I've used rubbing alcohol. dunno if it's safe for paint, but I think so. I've also used hand sanitizer to remove tree sap. seems safe for car paint

dedhed 09-18-21 07:09 AM

Goo gone, De-solv-it, lemon juice

Crankycrank 09-18-21 07:28 AM

Lighter Fluid also works well. It's basically just Naptha without having to buy a large amount.

RGMN 09-18-21 07:47 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...20bc016f3a.png

thook 09-18-21 08:53 AM

WD-40 works pretty good on some things, too. but, goo-gone, goof-off.....those work for sure. it all depends on the adhesive

Iride01 09-18-21 09:20 AM

You tell us what the name of the adhesive is and maybe we can tell you what works.

Otherwise, try everything mentioned. No guaranty that it won't hurt your finish as you didn't tell us what that is.

PimpMan 09-18-21 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22235484)
You tell us what the name of the adhesive is and maybe we can tell you what works.

Otherwise, try everything mentioned. No guaranty that it won't hurt your finish as you didn't tell us what that is.

I dont know what it is, it was a factory sticker on bicycle or rims they always leave residue when removed.

Actually i want non commercial solution, but more of a some cheap and dirty.lifehack. Thanks for understanding.

Iride01 09-18-21 09:44 AM

Well mash out some grain, ferment it a few days and distill out the alcohol. Usually where WD-40 or mineral spirts doesn't work, alcohol does well for me.

But since WD is commercial, just try some citrus oil.

No guaranty on the finish though. Paper towels do scratch, so cotton cloth will be better if you have to rub forever.

trikeBoomer 09-18-21 10:23 PM

Try blow drier or heat gun (keep distance with heat gun and keep it moving) dont need to get the surface too hot to touch.
Try applying WD40 on the area first, heating it, then use a non-marring tool like a nylon spudger or just use finger nail or credit card, lightly scrape and most should come up.
Could also wrap a shop towel in wd40 overnight and leave on surface overnight (use zip tie or wrap some rope/cord around the rag to keep it tight and most residue would come off after soaking.
Going slow and even taking a few days of soak+clean will help decrease chance of marring.
Coconut oil and cooking oil would likely work as well but would require the rag soaking method and time.

urbanknight 09-19-21 01:09 AM

Start with Goo Gone, which has worked 90% of the time for all of my sticky residue needs. Goof Off is more heavy duty, but might harm the paint.

cyrano138 09-19-21 01:12 AM

Nail polish remover, which is acetone. Just don't use it on resin.

Lazyass 09-19-21 02:25 AM

Get a can of disc brake cleaner from the auto store and buy nothing else. Takes it right off. Better than anything else posted or works just as good for less money and I've tried them all.

ChrisWagner 09-19-21 05:45 AM

Trying to get away from chemicals, I've found applied heat from something like a blow dryer my best method to remove a sticker and adhesive together. Most of the adhesive comes off with the sticker. Patience required. Follow up with a plastic razor blades for any residue.

WT160 09-19-21 08:45 AM

You might also try cooking oil. It has worked for me when other solvents haven't.

Rage 09-19-21 08:57 AM

I actually give the vegetable oil a shot before resorting to solvents.

Mad Honk 09-19-21 02:58 PM

How about using the stuff you use on your hands: GoJo hand cleaner. A bit on a rag and start rubbing and it should come right off. And safely I might add. Smiles, MH

Hondo6 09-19-21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 22236927)
How about using the stuff you use on your hands: GoJo hand cleaner. A bit on a rag and start rubbing and it should come right off. And safely I might add. Smiles, MH

Just make sure you don't use the GoJo formula with pumice. (smile)

SoSmellyAir 09-19-21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22236263)
Start with Goo Gone, which has worked 90% of the time for all of my sticky residue needs. Goof Off is more heavy duty, but might harm the paint.

To remove the stupid looking Bontrager AT-750 stickers on the wheels of my Trek FX 2, I used Goo Gone as a first step.

Originally Posted by cyrano138 (Post 22236265)
Nail polish remover, which is acetone. Just don't use it on resin.

Then I used acetone to remove the residue after the Goo Gone step.

SoSmellyAir 09-19-21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 22236277)
Get a can of disc brake cleaner from the auto store and buy nothing else. Takes it right off. Better than anything else posted or works just as good for less money and I've tried them all.

This also removes paint and clear coat?

frogman 09-19-21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crankycrank (Post 22235380)
Lighter Fluid also works well. It's basically just Naptha without having to buy a large amount.

I agree. Used lighter fluid for this purpose and it works well. Don't light it :D

zandoval 09-19-21 10:35 PM

This is the only one I would trust if I did not know the durability of the paint. It will not remove paint or clear coat. It is safe for the skin. If this does not work then a detailed exam should be done of the adhesive on a test area with any stronger solution.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78042a263c.jpg

Lazyass 09-20-21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22237171)
This also removes paint and clear coat?

If it removed my paint and clear coat I obviously wouldn't recommend it.