Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

one4smoke 04-14-19 04:39 PM

31 miles today, with wind at 25mph (faster than me).

Good day though. Legs felt good!

NoWhammies 04-14-19 06:08 PM

42k today. Just a quick ride before the rain hit - again.

Rick 04-14-19 07:31 PM

4.6 miles: One of the shift cables pulled out of the shiv on the exterior gear mesh, on my Rohloff hub.

Slightspeed 04-14-19 07:46 PM

45 miles down to Malibu and back on my "78 Peugeot. Great ride, foggy start, bright sun, 70s degrees finish, 16+ mph avg.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b785fd4dc2.jpg

Magu Rock re-group.

phuntley 04-14-19 08:20 PM

I did just over 40 today, it was NBD!!!! Love, love, love this bike. Any concerns I had about the FutureShock were gone in the first few miles. I mostly just wanted to shake it out on one of our paved trails here, and make sure it was shifting correctly, and that I was comfortable on the bike. The shop owner did the bike fit for me, and he nailed it. I feel like the saddle is possibly a bit high, but overall I had NO issues with any kind of pain. Not bad for a first ride of 2019 after a tough winter off from most working out. I was able to get on a really good downhill to bed the new brakes, and I have to say the move to discs was a good one! My first impressions of Di2 were, as My teenage daughter used to say.."amaze-balls". Didn't take long at all to feel really comfortable with it. No more indexing my front derailleur, which is really nice. The bike felt very nimble, and with the 28's, the CG-R seatpost, and the FutureShock, the ride was so, so smooth. Literally ran over things that used to rattle fillings. And it retains a very good feel to the road. My previous Litespeed (carbon Archon C3) had a 11-28 on the back, this Roubaix has a 11-34. Wow what a difference. I was in the big ring for most of the ride, and it felt very natural. Shifts were spot-on, every time, even when climbing. 40 miles, and my hands were not at all numb, something that never happened on the old bike. Again, a very well done bike fit is everything. Ok, enough for now!!https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd965c8055.jpg

The Green Hornet. The bike, not me!

one4smoke 04-14-19 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by phuntley (Post 20884913)
I did just over 40 today, it was NBD!!!! Love, love, love this bike. Any concerns I had about the FutureShock were gone in the first few miles. I mostly just wanted to shake it out on one of our paved trails here, and make sure it was shifting correctly, and that I was comfortable on the bike. The shop owner did the bike fit for me, and he nailed it. I feel like the saddle is possibly a bit high, but overall I had NO issues with any kind of pain. Not bad for a first ride of 2019 after a tough winter off from most working out. I was able to get on a really good downhill to bed the new brakes, and I have to say the move to discs was a good one! My first impressions of Di2 were, as My teenage daughter used to say.."amaze-balls". Didn't take long at all to feel really comfortable with it. No more indexing my front derailleur, which is really nice. The bike felt very nimble, and with the 28's, the CG-R seatpost, and the FutureShock, the ride was so, so smooth. Literally ran over things that used to rattle fillings. And it retains a very good feel to the road. My previous Litespeed (carbon Archon C3) had a 11-28 on the back, this Roubaix has a 11-34. Wow what a difference. I was in the big ring for most of the ride, and it felt very natural. Shifts were spot-on, every time, even when climbing. 40 miles, and my hands were not at all numb, something that never happened on the old bike. Again, a very well done bike fit is everything. Ok, enough for now!!https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd965c8055.jpg

The Green Hornet. The bike, not me!

Love a good Specialized story! :thumb:

one4smoke 04-15-19 08:47 PM

After closing up the office and heading home, went for a quick sprint of 17 miles in about an hour. Would've pushed for 20, but darkness got me and I didn't have my lights.

NoWhammies 04-16-19 09:17 AM

Managed to get 60k in just as the sun was starting to set.

Slightspeed 04-16-19 08:21 PM

46 miles down PCH to Malibu. Foggy, ugly gray day, threatened rain, but dry. Good ride though, couple of interesting photo ops. Did a similar ride Sunday, saw whales, no Ferrari, or cranes over head. Always something along PCH.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5facd3a4b1.jpg
'57 Ferrari 250GT (Tour de France?) Photo shoot south of Magu Rock.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37fc85b6f3.jpg
GoPro screen grab of temporary bike lane passing under working crane moving rocks to shore up the eroded cliff alongside the highway. Pretty close. Do bike helmets qualify as nard hats?

Doctor Morbius 04-16-19 09:06 PM

25 miles today. Felt good. Saved up some gas for tomorrow.

jadocs 04-16-19 09:07 PM

53 miles today.

Doctor Morbius 04-17-19 11:50 AM

25 miles so far. Came home to use the facilities and have a snack and am going back out in a few. Hope to do 15 more. :thumb:

EDIT: Got in another 15 for a total of 40 miles on the Sirrus. Avg speed = 13.4 MPH. Avg HR = 125 BPM. My HR didn't go above 140.

PGHNeil 04-18-19 07:17 AM

I rode 49 miles on the Montour and Panhandle trails yesterday in southwest PA yesterday - making it nearly to the WV border. It was a tad longer than what I'm used to but it was oddly satisfying. An ice bath and lots of hydration seem to have spared me from lingering soreness. It'll be a few days before I ride again though.

At the 20 mile mark of my ride and on a section of long downhill on asphalt I got passed by a "Fred" who blew my doors off, white hair blowing in the breeze with no helmet or water bottle. This guy was well-equipped though: he had a yellow jersey on and while I didn't get a good look at the blur that his bike was I did notice that it was shiny and quiet.

I was on the wrong bike for this type of trail. Mine is a "jack of all trades master of none" 3x9 Trek hardtail with knobby 2.2" tires that weighs all of 30 pounds with a top speed of 15 mph - which I didn't come close to yesterday. I won't divulge what my last disappointment on the scale was but suffice it to say that I require help and a lot of motivation just to get to 15 mph.

"Fred" was going well over 20mph and I felt compelled to follow just to see what he was in such a hurry for. Five miles down the road (and about a half hour later) he zipped past me again going the other direction, hair and teeth perfect white with nary a bug in his grin.

I knew that wherever he had turned around was where I needed to find. I felt giddy somehow, like how a sailor gets giddy when they see a mermaid. I won't do the math; I'm still quite spent and was never good at that sort of computation. My mind was telling me that the trail had a slight downhill grade - but my legs were telling me something else. About 20 minutes later the trail became featureless and our of boredom I quit my quest at what I hope was just a mile short.

The rest of the ride was torture. Damn that male trail mermaid! I'm not even into guys - and I can't be the only guy who rides a Trek who's been lead astray by an overly fit person wearing a yellow jersey. I just figure that people with white hair know more than I do - and if I caught him? I dunno. Maybe he'd grant me three wishes? Offer me a swig of whatever elixir gave him such vigor? The alternative could have been worse than disappointing though.

At some point when my hair turns I think enlightenment is going to coincide with a LOT of humiliation. Yesterday could have been such a day but the worst that happened was that my energy bar got mushy in my backpack and half of it fell to the ground during a rest stop (eliciting me to utter a Homer Simpson DOH!) and at about 3 miles to go until the end of my ride I ran out of water. While that could have been a bummer instead I got a lot of fresh air - or as much as you can get in an area where natural gas drills and pipeline construction is overtaking the farmland.

OTOH next weekend I'm signed up for a 25 mile urban ride in hilly and windy downtown Pittsburgh with the promise of free beer at the finish line. I know there will be many more "Freds" and the female versions (Francine?) but I don't care. Maybe it's the after effects of fatigue or the promise of alcohol talking, but I think I'm ready. I put in double the miles yesterday, even if it was straight and level for the most part with no buses or Ubers trying to run me down. I just need to wash out my hydropack and pack extra consumables so I don't run out of energy. Live and learn, right?

NoWhammies 04-18-19 09:27 AM

35k. Wanted to ride further but had to turn around due to rain. Still, I'm happy with the 35k as I managed to stay, for the most part, dry.

one4smoke 04-18-19 07:13 PM

Only 12 miles, but... was testing out a new bike! :love:

Doctor Morbius 04-21-19 04:12 PM

39.4 miles today.

Took one of the road bikes out for its first ride of the season and was going gangbusters until the rear tire flatted at 14.4 miles. :( Walked the bike home, as I was only a few blocks away, and took out one of the hybrids for 25 miles.

The tires and tubes on the road bike were brand new too. Never been ridden. :cry:

one4smoke 04-21-19 07:33 PM


Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius (Post 20894377)
39.4 miles today.

Took one of the road bikes out for its first ride of the season and was going gangbusters until the rear tire flatted at 14.4 miles. :( Walked the bike home, as I was only a few blocks away, and took out one of the hybrids for 25 miles.

The tires and tubes on the road bike were brand new too. Never been ridden. :cry:

Well that's s***house luck. :(

30.0 miles today on a beautiful 75 Easter Sunday!

NoWhammies 04-24-19 10:44 PM

50k after work. Included some climbing. Managed to get it all in before sunset.

Great night to be out on the bike.

79pmooney 04-24-19 10:58 PM

54 blocks. 3 blocks to a neighboring street. 2 blocks of flat on that street, 3 blocks hitting steeper than 15%, 1 block to the turnaround, down and repeat. 4 times. Rode home.

Got the wake-up call Sunday when I rode to Portland's steepest climb and couldn't make it. Scheduled (and pre-paid) to do two tough rides this summer. First is on the solstice, not far away at all.

Ben

diphthong 04-25-19 01:30 AM

nothing wed but a nice, hard 57 mile ride on tues with 15 miles or so on dirt running 23's w/the road bike. hit a road i'd been meaning to experience for a few years but
always had an excuse to not do it. finally ran out of excuses and it gave me a thorough thrashing. will look to do it again soon but only the fun southern half.

NoWhammies 04-26-19 10:58 PM

60k today. Managed to get a bit of climbing in, which I'd been wanting to do for a while now. The climb up, good. The ride down, freaking cold! Next time, bring warmer gloves!

one4smoke 04-27-19 07:58 PM

22 at 16.5 with the wind gusting at 15 to 20 mph.

NoWhammies 04-27-19 09:53 PM

100k. Wind was either in my face or blowing across me and my bike the whole ride. I hate wind.

Doctor Morbius 04-28-19 08:38 PM

0.6 miles today before I gave up. It was just too cold. I came home and worked abs then did some yard work. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I plan to use the trainer for an hour.

Sometimes you have to make lemonade.

Juggy_Gales 04-29-19 03:36 AM

Long Ride
 
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1f8a4b12e.jpg

30 Mile ride from North Pinellas County to the Beach

jadocs 04-29-19 09:01 AM

101.43 miles on Saturday. Took Sunday off. Will ride again today.

insignia100 04-29-19 05:54 PM

Did 11 miles today, slowly working up to 20 mile rides, at which point I will buy a road bike and start training for a 50 mile ride in earnest...

Juggy_Gales 04-29-19 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 20905864)
101.43 miles on Saturday. Took Sunday off. Will ride again today.

I hope to one day be able to do 100mile rides.. I look forward to it.. Im at 30miles now.. with the heat it beat me up a bit.. but physically Im not hurting which is good. Ive lost a good amount of weight.. Once I get to 50 miles Ill look into a good road bike.. I'll probably buy in the $1800-2500 range which should be enough of a bike to do what I want to do.. Im not a pro and I won't be racing. But would love a nice fast decently light dedicated road bike.

jadocs 04-29-19 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales (Post 20906824)
I hope to one day be able to do 100mile rides.. I look forward to it.. Im at 30miles now.. with the heat it beat me up a bit.. but physically Im not hurting which is good. Ive lost a good amount of weight.. Once I get to 50 miles Ill look into a good road bike.. I'll probably buy in the $1800-2500 range which should be enough of a bike to do what I want to do.. Im not a pro and I won't be racing. But would love a nice fast decently light dedicated road bike.

You can do it. If you can do 30 now without hurting you can do 50.

diphthong 04-29-19 08:12 PM

42 miles with some rain here and there. didn't mind as a back problem had me sidelined since thursday. just nice to be out regardless of the weather.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.